Quantcast

Ghetto Modded Saint Shifter.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I grabbed myself a new Saint shifter as my Attack 8sp shifter was no good for my slightly crap thumb, in the shop the Saint felt like a good thing but when I slapped it on a bar it was not so good.

I wanted the lower paddle to be adjustable like an X0 but it isn't so I opened it up to see if I could limit the rear travel of the paddle, looked like a bit of work so I did this-

All it is is a small screw through the vacant position adjust hole thingy, it stops the lever coming all the way back which should help stop my thumb from getting sore from excessive stretching and it's a bunch more comfortable.

I used a brass screw so it will hopefully bend if something bad happens, it was covered in PVA glue then heatshrinked. After limiting the travel on the bottom paddle it needed to be ground down a bunch so you can reach the top trigger, i'll paint it.......one day.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
See this one is stock and the bottom trigger comes way back, the little screw in mine stops the trigger coming back so far making it easier for me to shift.

Last edited:

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
I've always kinda wanted to try a shifter that only does one, that way you can just mash it and not have to worry about a miss shift (I'm utterly terrible at changing gear on a run!) if you've got a sorted cassette out back more than one shift up/down is normally unnecessary in most places.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
The setup on my DH bike is way too sensitive if anything, I find it very hard in a race run to shift just one gear instead of 2.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I've always kinda wanted to try a shifter that only does one, that way you can just mash it and not have to worry about a miss shift (I'm utterly terrible at changing gear on a run!) if you've got a sorted cassette out back more than one shift up/down is normally unnecessary in most places.
I thought about that so I added bonus ghetto:)

The shiny screw on the left is now a travel limit screw-

The nut that looks out of place is what stops the mechanism by hitting the flat section of the shifter mech-

In the rest position-

Finally you need the screw short enough so it doesn't snag the release mechanism when going into taller gears-

It works fine off the bike but my original mod didn't work 100%, I need to put the heatshrink around my nuts not my shaft as it wasn't returning to the correct spot.

Oh if you decide to do the travel limit screw thingy yours will be in a different spot to mine because of my different trigger position.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
After getting a bit of riding time on it I like being only able to shift one gear at a time so cheers monkeyfcuker for the idea. At the moment going from ninth gear to eigth gear isn't as smooth as it should be so I will have to work on that and the lever still needs to be trimmed down a little more but it is much nicer thaan it was stock.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
At the moment going from ninth gear to eigth gear isn't as smooth as it should be so I will have to work on that
just remove 2 or 3 of the largest cassette sprockets ;)

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
just remove 2 or 3 of the largest cassette sprockets ;)

I am going to do that but it won't fix my problem, it is because the ratchet mechanism in the shifter doesn't stop in exactly the right spot, should be pretty easy to sort.