Quantcast

ghetto rigged bike shop tools thread.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin

the rigged steer tube cutting guide, made with two stems clamped on the fork. bike shops have a special little f*cker that clamps in a vice and guides the hacksaw so you don't cut a crooked cut. but i'm impatient.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
bwhahaha, that's awesome. I've got the little park ditty for that job and it works fantastic. You can use those or a pipe cutter which works nice too...

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
caution !! it doesn't work as well as i thought it would because aluminum (your stem) is softer than the fork steer tube. meaning you can be shaving off a layer of your stem and not knowing it.

that's what makes it ghetto !! tryin really damn hard to be legit, but not quite making it.

but you know what it doesn't even matter if your fork is cut crooked. just get a spacer that's taller than the end of your fork and it evens it out. f*ckin a !

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I made a chain whip out of an old chain and a piece of scrap aluminum flat stock. Wrapped the end with duct tape for a grip, works like a charm.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I've got a headset remover that I made out of a pipe.
Just cross cut the end with a hack saw, spread it out a little with a crescent wrench, and viola!

I'm constantly using QR skewers to hold the BB tool on a cup when the splines are questionsble.

I've used 14mm axles w/a few washers to install headsets.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
There was something on defgrip of someone making a sick park tool from an old for seer tube.
didn't see it on defgrip...

but on the etnies website/Taj's blog, Mr. Mihelich himself made up a sweet little multi-tool... If I could remember the link I'd post it up.

...do I need to post pics of my trusty dremel and drill press too? haha. :monkeydance:

yo ho, hammer time, hahaha, that's quality.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
this is one i learned a long time ago, but had to do again this morning.

your axle threads are a little rough causing the axle to spin. the cones are overly tight but you can't clamp down on the axle to hold it....

the ghetto remedy: tighten the wheel down on the outside of your frame.... this locks the axle in place, so you can get the other side's cones to loosen up.....

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
this is one i learned a long time ago, but had to do again this morning.

your axle threads are a little rough causing the axle to spin. the cones are overly tight but you can't clamp down on the axle to hold it....

the ghetto remedy: tighten the wheel down on the outside of your frame.... this locks the axle in place, so you can get the other side's cones to loosen up....
Yup this is a great trick especially with my femaled axle