Quantcast

Ghetto tubeless

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
Hmm, is there a reason besides cost that you are going with that over stan's? A quart of stans is only $15. Its seems to me that its worth the extra $3.61

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Stans kills tires. This stuff get's diluted by half water. So it is not $3.61 cheaper, it's half price. That makes it $18.61 cheaper per half gallon. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. It is less than half the price. Oh yeah, I want the adventure jerry riggin my own tubeless system.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
but with that stuff it looks like you could have some issues removing the tire if you use too much. the latex could just completely dry and keep your tire completely stuck to the rim. i would just stick with stans.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I think you should go with a ghetto tube top. It's definitely in style.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
ioscope said:
Stans kills tires.
Totally and completely false. It is no secret that our sealant has liquid latex in it, so if you make your own version with the same base ingredient it is somehow going to be "safer" for the tires?

For what it is worth, I've got a tire hanging on the wall with over 80 nails, screws, etc stuck in it that has had sealant installed continuously for 3 years. Surprise, surprise, the sealant has not degraded the tire. Someone even suggested (foolishly) that if you used more sealant in your tire than we recommend that it would cause a problem. To prove that wrong, I've got 4 tires mounted with 2 gallons of sealant in each one and the tires are still in great shape. 2 of the tires that are filled entirely with sealant are tires that we used for puncture tests and demos so they literally have thousands of punctures in them.

I'm all for experimenting and DIY but don't spread false information and don't be surprised when the homemade version doesn't seal punctures as well.

Mike B. said:
Totally and completely false. It is no secret that our sealant has liquid latex in it, so if you make your own version with the same base ingredient it is somehow going to be "safer" for the tires?

For what it is worth, I've got a tire hanging on the wall with over 80 nails, screws, etc stuck in it that has had sealant installed continuously for 3 years. Surprise, surprise, the sealant has not degraded the tire. Someone even suggested (foolishly) that if you used more sealant in your tire than we recommend that it would cause a problem. To prove that wrong, I've got 4 tires mounted with 2 gallons of sealant in each one and the tires are still in great shape. 2 of the tires that are filled entirely with sealant are tires that we used for puncture tests and demos so they literally have thousands of punctures in them.

I'm all for experimenting and DIY but don't spread false information and don't be surprised when the homemade version doesn't seal punctures as well.
Why do you insist on confusing this discussion with facts? :dancing:

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I've been using Stans for six months, on Kenda Nevergal and Blue Groove tires with absolutely no Ill effects. Before that I used the on some Specialized Adernaline tires, but the sidewalls were so thin I usually ended up cutting the sidewalls on rocks...Nothing will seal that.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Sorry to be the guy perpetuating the myth. Does anybody have any tricks to get the bead to contact the rimstrip better? My bead is just too floppy, and loose on the rimstrip. I tried the nylon strap/ratchet around the circumference, but that failed. I even tried adding an extension cord under the rimstrip to make the rim skinnier and ensure contact, but the air is still rushing out from under the bead! Is it because my tires are old?

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
Have you tried using an air compressor? I can usually get them to seal fine without a compressor, but for the really stubborn ones a compressor has always done the trick for me in the past.

As far as the claim that Stan's kills tires, all I can say is I've run stans in Maxxis, Michelin and Kenda tires over the past year without a single flat or tire "killed", so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Maybe it takes longer than a year to kill a tire with stans, but with me tires are worn out well before a year so its a non issue.