Quantcast

Giant and warranty

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Any idea how long Giant keeps warranty frames??? I have a 2006 frame with a crack and will be getting it warrantied. I'm currious as to whether I'll be getting that frame or a newer model. Obviously my LBS (where I purchased the bike) will be on the case but I'm currious if anybody has any first hand experience with this.

cheers

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
From experience dealing with various companies for warranty, its dependent on if they have the specific frame in the size your warrantying in stock or not. My friend tried to get a 2004 Giant Team DH warrantied this summer and they didn't have anything in that model year left, they did however upgrade him up to a 2011 Giant Glory but it cost him quite abit to get on that frame (Crash replacement cost) not to mention he was the second owner.

Some companies might upgrade you to current year stock at a small fee sometimes depending your relationship with the local shop, some bike companies might just hand you over the latest gen.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Its funny because this frame is a Warranty frame that I got in 2008. So I'm hoping that I get something for free. Its cracked on a weld. I will be grumpy if I've gotta pay.

drastic.

Monkey
May 16, 2011
pleasanton, ca
so you already received one free warranty frame in 2008 from a bike that was made in 2006, and now you're expecting a free frame replacement on a frame that is going on 4yrs old?

Giant Warranty per their website:
Giant Bicycle, Inc. ("Giant") warrants the frame and rigid fork of each new Giant brand bicycle and Giant brand frameset to be free from defects in material and workmanship for as long as the original purchaser owns the bicycle. Paint finish and all other original components, and all Giant brand repair parts, replacement parts, and accessories, are warranted to be free from defects in material or workmanship for a period of one year from the original date of purchase. This warranty applies only to bicycles and framesets purchased new from, and assembled by, an Authorized Giant Retailer.

on this note, there is zero reason to believe you should be receiving a free, upgraded frame on a 4yr old bike, on a bike that had it's warranty ended 5-6yrs ago.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
on this note, there is zero reason to believe you should be receiving a free, upgraded frame on a 4yr old bike, on a bike that had it's warranty ended 5-6yrs ago.
you highlighted the wrong part of the warranty statement

Giant Bicycle, Inc. ("Giant") warrants the frame and rigid fork of each new Giant brand bicycle and Giant brand frameset to be free from defects in material and workmanship for as long as the original purchaser owns the bicycle. Paint finish and all other original components, and all Giant brand repair parts, replacement parts, and accessories, are warranted to be free from defects in material or workmanship for a period of one year from the original date of purchase. This warranty applies only to bicycles and framesets purchased new from, and assembled by, an Authorized Giant Retailer.

Biffff which frame is it? if your shop hasnt checked yet, i can check with Giant tomorrow or Friday

edit: if this is your second frame, it might be tough but since its been so long, Giant will probably still take care of you...as long as youre the original owner

Last edited:

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I am the original purchaser. Its a Faith frame, which is cracked on the seatpost weld...........same as the first one. A good friend of mine works at my shop and will be looking into tommorow. We just noticed the damage tonight.
I was moar currious as to what they would do if they were out of Faith frames.

cheers

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Ya I suppose they do.
I use the bike more for AM/freeride/XC these days as it actually has identical geo to a agressive am bike. I would be more interested in a Reign X frame then a new style Faith.

In the end I will appreciate what ever they can do for me.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I would just like to thank you for getting two of those horrid looking frames off the trails, nice work.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
^^^^^ Ya its not the prettiest frame in the world, but the second one is actually a great bike. The warranty frame is very different then the original. They made many changes to it: much smaller pieces in the rear triangle, much different BB area and head tube gusset area. These changes took a lot of weight out of the frame.......my bike set up for AM weighs 33 pounds, but ya its kinda ugly.