Quantcast

Giant Anthem Frame What Fork?

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Reba Team or SID Team? I know the full bikes all come with 100mm forks its just I was thinking the Reba can go from 80 to 120 mm and is only a little bit heavier, Think its about 100 grams. Or am a mad even contemplating Rebas?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Rebas are not bad. I personally love my FOX forks, so I would think an F100 or an F120 would both be outstanding choices too.
I've had 3 Fox forks- a Vanilla, TALAS and now a Float. All performed well and held up with minimal work. Ease of tuning is also a plus.

If you are set on the choices you mentioned, there's nothing wrong with the Reba. I haven't ridden one, but I've heard the new SIDs are pretty nice too. I'd personally probably go for a SID to keep the bike light. 100mm sounds like enough for that frame and it's probably designed around that a-c height. I've had adjustable travel before and basically never used it, so that wouldn't be much of a benefit for me.

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Thanks for the replies. I'm not no XC rider, tend to ride 4X and DH. I find XC bikes really twitchy and tend to wonder off in there own directions if it gets to rutted. Or in short I brake them and fall off them. So just thinking a stronger fork that is slightly longer may make it feel a bit more homely to me.

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
Thanks for the replies. I'm not no XC rider, tend to ride 4X and DH. I find XC bikes really twitchy and tend to wonder off in there own directions if it gets to rutted. Or in short I brake them and fall off them. So just thinking a stronger fork that is slightly longer may make it feel a bit more homely to me.
If you put a longer fork on than the frame is designed for, you are not only messing with the HT angle, but you are also raising the bb height. A higher bb will de-stabalize the bike, causing it to handle on the "twitchy side".

I have personally had more success running a slightly shorter (10-15mm) stem from what is usually recomended for a proper xc fit. This has always given me better results than something much more drastic than a fork height adjustment.
Whatever you do, don't make the bike a freak. It was designed for a specific kind of riding, and a specific type/size fork.

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Sounds sensible to me thanks dirtygirlmagnet. I know the one I tried had a 100mm stem and some super skinny flat bars. So I may try a 90mm stem and possibly a little bit wider bar.

drumbum540

Monkey
Mar 24, 2008
Stephens City, VA
Rebas are not bad. I personally love my FOX forks, so I would think an F100 or an F120 would both be outstanding choices too.
I agree^ I am running an 08 FLoat on my "XC" bike, and it can take a big hit. I basically have the 140 for extra confidence, but it does also decrease your hill climbing abillty. so, if you still want to tear up the hills, you might want to spend more and get a Talas.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Sounds sensible to me thanks dirtygirlmagnet. I know the one I tried had a 100mm stem and some super skinny flat bars. So I may try a 90mm stem and possibly a little bit wider bar.
I agree with the previous poster said about slightly shorter stem. It can certainly help a bit with descending ability. You just don't want to go too short and lose overall handling and climbing ability- just keep in mind what the bike was designed for.

A wider bar is certainly in order. I find a wider bar to add a lot of stability to a bike, especially if it is coupled with a slightly shorter stem. I run a ProTaper low rise on my XC hardtail (near 25 inches wide I think) and it is fine for the application (and allows me to use short bar ends) but the 28" on my Prophet feels better. The 30" on the DH bike would be too wide for anything else, but I think a 27" might be a good idea and not too wide.

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
I agree with the previous poster said about slightly shorter stem. It can certainly help a bit with descending ability. You just don't want to go too short and lose overall handling and climbing ability- just keep in mind what the bike was designed for.

A wider bar is certainly in order. I find a wider bar to add a lot of stability to a bike, especially if it is coupled with a slightly shorter stem. I run a ProTaper low rise on my XC hardtail (near 25 inches wide I think) and it is fine for the application (and allows me to use short bar ends) but the 28" on my Prophet feels better. The 30" on the DH bike would be too wide for anything else, but I think a 27" might be a good idea and not too wide.
I have a set of the Protaper low rise bars as well. I think you're correct on the width being around 25". I do think they could stand to go wider. It never hurts to try something around 28-27, and then trim a half or quarter inch off of each side until you feel comfortable.