Quantcast

Giant ATX DH Team Information ?

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
So I just bought one of the bikes (not the atx one dh or the all black atx dh team the one in between 99/00 I think ?)
Could I be right in thinking that these were team only frames and not for sale ?
I always wanted when I was younger, Im a retro hoarder i guess you could say but this is my main project at the moment.

Ive attached a few pics the crap part is the pro deluxe shock on it is leaking everywhere and I thought this could be a great chance to you a rare rockshox blackbox shock I got from an old Global team riders 223, long story short I put the shock on the bike and it was fine had a little ride everything was ok until the next morning when I found all the oil from the shock all over the floor.

Im finding it very hard to believe that for how popular these bikes were that I can not find any information floating about on the net, things I want to know are:

Everything about the geometry
Weight
Shock length
bb size
seat post size and all the rest of the stuff that goes with trying to track pieces for such a bike.

Oh yeah I find bikepedia rubbish.

I have lots of older bikes and those companies reply to emails, I see on the Giant website there was not even a email address for info or customer service.

If anyone can't point me in the right direction for what im looking at thats be great.

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
My source is inconsistent. Depending on the model year 99 vs 00, bike differs in many ways...

Weight (complete, w/ pedals) ~17,9kg
Weight (frame w/ shock) ~ 4,9kg
Shock - '99 - 8,5x2,75" ; '00 - 9x2,5"
BB - '99 - 118/68 ; '00 - 145/100 (for RF Turbine cranks)
Seat post - 30,8mm

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
My source is inconsistent. Depending on the model year 99 vs 00, bike differs in many ways...

Weight (complete, w/ pedals) ~17,9kg
Weight (frame w/ shock) ~ 4,9kg
Shock - '99 - 8,5x2,75" ; '00 - 9x2,5"
BB - '99 - 118/68 ; '00 - 145/100 (for RF Turbine cranks)
Seat post - 30,8mm
Brilliant thanks for that, must be a 99, 8.5x2.75 inch shock. Were these frames with the sponsors on team only or sold as a frame only ?

As the only Giant atx dh full build bikes I can find is the ATX ONE DH.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
There where ATX ONE DH, ATX TWO DH and ATX DH Team between 98 and 2YK.
Frames only from top model bike, which, depending on the model year, is ATX ONE DH frame or ATX DH Team frame.

Last edited:

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I had one of those! I liked it a lot!

That's a 2000. The went to black in 2001 with this frame and then in 2002 they changed the frame completely. In 1999, I'm pretty sure it had 6" of travel instead of 7".

I don't know where we got those numbers, but back then I don't remember anyone having 8.5"x2.75" shock unless you got some funky size from Risse Racing (who were the only guys messing with eye to eye lengths).

Last edited:

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
I had one of those! I liked it a lot!

That's a 2000. The went to black in 2001 with this frame and then in 2002 they changed the frame completely. In 1999, I'm pretty sure it had 6" of travel instead of 7".

I don't know where we got those numbers, but back then I don't remember anyone having 8.5"x2.75" shock unless you got some funky size from Risse Racing (who were the only guys messing with eye to eye lengths).
Yeah I thought this was 6 inch travel def a 8.5x2.75 rear shock thou, just spoke with a guy who used to work for Rockshox and he said it was a unique size. Funny thou as ive seen people with fox rc's on them maybe thats the newer one.

The shock you see on th bike is also a prototype that came of a global team orange 223 bike which also measures 8.5x2.75, I do have a fox rc from my Haro DHR thats 8.75x2.8 and it will not fit I would have to drill a hole further down at the bottom of the frame if I wanted anything bigger.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
It's a prototype, which never been mass produced. However, you can buy scaled model of it :D
It existed between DH Team/Comp (not ATX) and 1st gen Glory.

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
It's a prototype, which never been mass produced. However, you can buy scaled model of it :D
It existed between DH Team/Comp (not ATX) and 1st gen Glory.
Cheers dude I didn't see your other post up there, yeah I'm guessing just made for these bikes but I wouldn't say prototype as there were hundreds of frames made surely ? (Or have I crossed wires somehow).
Pic attached is the bike the day I bought it with its Rockshox Pro Deluxe on it.

Last edited:

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I thought that prototype existed between the ATX Team DH and the 2002 model (the blue one with the swingarm and linkage).

Years ago I read they never went forward with it because either the center of balance was weird with the shock so forward, or it infringed on some VPP patent somewhere.

As for the rear shock size, I know mine was a 2000 and it was a 8.75x2.75. I had no idea they had one around with a 8.5x2.75.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I thought that prototype existed between the ATX Team DH and the 2002 model (the blue one with the swingarm and linkage).
I am not 100% sure, you may be right.
But, as far as I remember, I was about to buy first DH bike. I has been said, that DH Team/Comp was going to disappear, proto pics have been on the internet or/and in magazines, but no release date has been given. I've ended up with Santa Cruz S8... it was about 2003-4.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
khs and cannondale ran VPP's for brief period at roughly that same time frame. pretty sure that neither had patent issues. just sucky bike issues...
Sorry for the thread hijack but the KHS from that timeframe (Dominatrax?) was world-class, legendary suck. One of the few frames you could look at and say without a shadow of a doubt, 'Holy sh1t, that bike fvcking sucks!' which would then live up/down to your expectations to a T.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
khs and cannondale ran VPP's for brief period at roughly that same time frame. pretty sure that neither had patent issues. just sucky bike issues...
the VPP didnt come back around again until 2001 when the V10 came out and there werent any other bikes like it on the market iirc.

the khs and the c-dale were both on the market at that same time. the V10 was just a 1000X better implementation of the vpp and actually marketed as vpp..

now that i think about it, the khs design was borrowed(leased or whatever) from c-dale, but not sure if they(c-dale) had a patent or just let khs make an exact copy of theirs, but either way, khs credited c-dale for the design...

Last edited:

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
Don't suppose anyone has the chain stays lying around for this I could buy do they ? Just gave it a really good clean and found a crack :(

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
KHS and C-dale, both links rotate in the same direction, like a giant or dw.

VPP bikes, the bottom link swings back, top link swings forward.
Outland was first. Remember when everyone raced outlands with stickers?

First bike I remember with two links swinging back is this Bianchi. I'm sure there were earlier bikes..

Both these bikes are odd. Most short link bikes, the links point toward each other in the front, these are opposite.

When Santa Cruz bought the VPP patent, the first bike they brought out was the blur. V10 came out in 2003.

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
STORM bike had a funky rear set-up as well , i remember the Outlands i knew a couple guys riding them , i remember those Giants as well new a few guys on those as well , and that funky Giant was a proto in between the rocker-link design and the DHTEAM/DHCOMP design