Quantcast

Giant DH team vs. Giant Glory?

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Not to derail this thread anymore, but anybody have any pics of the faith set up for racing? Just interested in how they look.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
SuspectDevice said:
Once you flip the links the Faith is even 1/2 a degree slacker than the Glory.
You're saying that by flipping the links on the Faith (which to my eye looks like maybe a .5" difference in position) that you drop 3 full degrees off the head angle? That seems highly unlikely. I have a friend with a Faith and will try and get an accurate measurement.

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
Dogboy said:
You're saying that by flipping the links on the Faith (which to my eye looks like maybe a .5" difference in position) that you drop 3 full degrees off the head angle? That seems highly unlikely. I have a friend with a Faith and will try and get an accurate measurement.
Picture putting a shock with a 1/2" i-2-i on the bike. It will drop the BB and slack the head angle out a good deal.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Dogboy said:
The difference between the HA's is 1.5 degrees. Dropping the faith 2-2.5 degrees is definitely possible with the flipped links. I know I have seen it done.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
spoke80 said:
If the Glory was a marketing exercise they did an excellent job especially since they are available. And would it be fair to say that any new design that has gone through a product development process could be considered a marketing excerise. I'm not in marketing but it seems to be the case. Oh, and what did the Glory look like before the abortion?

Search for pictures of Rando or Vasquez's bikes from last season.

They were markedly different. The current incarnation was nearly made out of cardboard and spraypaint in the Interbike parking lot.

The only shot of Cavalier's bike I could find

Here's Rando's bike at Dirt Demo, Notice the more normal Shock mounting. I think this bike is a little different than the bike he had earlier in the season as well. Geometry is much more agressive as you can see how the BB is lower than axle height

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
SuspectDevice said:
Search for pictures of Rando or Vasquez's bikes from last season.

They were markedly different. The current incarnation was nearly made out of cardboard and spraypaint in the Interbike parking lot.

The only shot of Cavalier's bike I could find

Here's Rando's bike at Dirt Demo, Notice the more normal Shock mounting. I think this bike is a little different than the bike he had earlier in the season as well. Geometry is much more agressive as you can see how the BB is lower than axle height
Wow, it's amazing how much better that version looks. The final product looks unfinished; almost as if the design budget ran out and they had to quick finish it up. Hideous. Although I haven't seen a Glory in person, I see no reason why the shock couldn't have been lowered and rotated a little bit to be more visually appealing while keeping the same suspension rate. And the ugly mega-glossy paint job? Giant bikes just scream "cheap" to me.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
That version really doesnt look that much different. Shock is one a different angle and sticks out more, big freaking deal. My guess is that large machined casting on rando's bike was too expensive for production, or something like that. For 4500 dollars with that parts spec you really cant complain. If you all stopped worrying so much about looking cool and more about riding well maybe you wouldnt be such a bunch of suck-asses.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
WheelieMan said:
Although I haven't seen a Glory in person, I see no reason why the shock couldn't have been lowered and rotated a little bit to be more visually appealing while keeping the same suspension rate. And the ugly mega-glossy paint job? Giant bikes just scream "cheap" to me.
because it would get too low and close to the BB. With a different seat tube arrangement maybe a more horizontal placement. But the way i see it, 99% of the bike makers would of comprimised on shock placement to get better "asthetics"...this screams the opposite of cheap to me.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
TheInedibleHulk said:
My guess is that large machined casting on rando's bike was too expensive for production, or something like that.
Probably had more to do with Specialized patents on the shock mount.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
zedro said:
because it would get too low and close to the BB.
How can a shock be placed too low and close to the bottom bracket? Assuming the link positioning/suspension performance is not compromised and unnecessary weight is not added to the bike, (which of course should never be done to achieve a more appealing shock arrangement) low and close to the bottom bracket is ideal placement for a shock.

zedro said:
But the way i see it, 99% of the bike makers would of comprimised on shock placement to get better "asthetics"...this screams the opposite of cheap to me.
Very true.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Dogboy said:
Probably had more to do with Specialized patents on the shock mount.
I keep hearing this brought up but it makes absolutely no sense. How can a company patent something like that? That's like trying to patent the conventional triangle shaped bike frame.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
WheelieMan said:
I keep hearing this brought up but it makes absolutely no sense. How can a company patent something like that? That's like trying to patent the conventional triangle shaped bike frame.

They hold the patent on "their" design, which means other companys can't put their pivot point in a certain location. I don't remember which is where, but i'm sure someone will chime in with it.

Next time you are around an IronHorse SGS, look on the inside of the swingarm. There will be a Specialized sticker there

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
BigMike said:
They hold the patent on "their" design, which means other companys can't put their pivot point in a certain location. I don't remember which is where, but i'm sure someone will chime in with it.

Next time you are around an IronHorse SGS, look on the inside of the swingarm. There will be a Specialized sticker there
No, I believe he was talking about a patent that Specialized has on a "one-piece forged bottom bracket/pivot." I'm assuming that any patents related to this would be specific to the Specialized design and not one-piece bottom bracket/pivot pieces in general.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
WheelieMan said:
No, I believe he was talking about a patent that Specialized has on a "one-piece forged bottom bracket/pivot." I'm assuming that any patents related to this would be specific to the Specialized design and not one-piece bottom bracket/pivot pieces in general.
Oh, I didn't know specialized had a patent on that that affected other bike manufacturers