Quantcast

Giant Glory 0 2013

dhbrigade

Chimp
Feb 21, 2006
Looks like the Glory finally gets some proper HD geometry!!!

From a german site:

* updated geometrie = 63.5° HA, lower BB, longer wheelbase
* Overdrive head tube (tapered = 1-1/8-inch upper & 1-1/4-inch lower)
* Maestro Rear = 203 mm
* Rock Shox Boxxer World Cup
* SRAM X.0 DH drivetrain and brakes
* Wheels = DT Swiss 240S/EX500

* price: ???
* weight: ???
* in stores: August 2012

www.mtb-news.de

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
you're ****ting me; they're going back to a 1.25" lower headtube? are they dense?

oh wait, they're GIANT and they can do whatever they want...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
you're ****ting me; they're going back to a 1.25" lower headtube? are they dense?

oh wait, they're GIANT and they can do whatever they want...
2nd that. WTF? How many road bikes go with overdrive? Maybe it's just cheaper for them and they want us to bare the cost.

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
I'm pretty sure that's a typo. According to the Giant website, The "Overdrive" headtube dimensions are 1.5 bottom/1-1/8 top.

Last edited:

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
I think it's a typo... overdrive is 1.5 lower 1.25 upper, still retarded, but not that bad.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'd be fine with the 1.25" upper. I still think it's idiotic to cannondale themselves into an OEM only situation, but 1.25" lower takes away a level of adjustability and reverses course from the last ~8 years of DH improvement. 1.25" upper just limits you to giant oem stems for 2-3 years until HOPE cuts you a fresh one.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
who cares about what diameter the head tube is?

its a dh bike. you use a 1 1/8 fork, and whatever bearing is needed to be replaced.

at least if it is, in fact, a 1 1/4 lower, not a 1 1/2, at least you can use a normal headset race, rather the massive reducers currently out there

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
If you ask me,they really f'ed up with the headtube.

Their road bikes,wont go with a 1.5 bottom,trek was the first to do it,and it may be a copyright thing or they are saying 1/4 is better to differentiate themselves.

Natedog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Ventura, Ca
just to clear up this headtube issue guys, it was a typo. It is a standard tapered head tube (1.5 lower 1 1/8 Upper). Giant was the first to do this on a MTB years ago when the glory first came out (2006?). It's been called overdrive for a marketing term.

It's no different than the headtube it's had for the past 5+ years, it's just slacker now...like you've all asked for.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Shi t on a dick! I was hoping I could use my old as fukk headset from the Giant I had in 1996, it was ano blue.

Norco or Giant for my next DH sled, looks good but it is just gonna come down to $$$ for EP from the shop.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
well, if its a normal tapered HT, or even lower 1.5 upper 1.25, then it looks like they hit all the boxes as far as I'm concerned, giant finally put out the perfect DH bike. At 2K less then everything else, I'd like one of these to be my next frame.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Giant isn't the cool company but the frame works well and is priced 400 to 600 less then the other frames on the market. The lifetime warranty on the frame makes it that much sweeter.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Are they seriously going back to SRAM when the new Saint stuff is fracking fantastic? A huge huge step backwards when both Fox and Shimano are leaps and bounds ahead of SRAM atm.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Are they seriously going back to SRAM when the new Saint stuff is fracking fantastic? A huge huge step backwards when both Fox and Shimano are leaps and bounds ahead of SRAM atm.
Possibly to keep total retail cost down?

Looking good! I really dig the Glory.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
Giant isn't the cool company but the frame works well and is priced 400 to 600 less then the other frames on the market. The lifetime warranty on the frame makes it that much sweeter.
Negative on the lifetime warranty on the frame. As a complete bike, you get the lifetime warranty, but as a frame, it is only 5 years. I was surprised as well when I read my owners manual.

As far as the bike goes, I'd have to say the only thing I'm really disappointed about was the fact that Giant claimed they were going to reclaim their place in the carbon market, and didn't. Nearly every bike in the top ten on the WC, aside from Hart and Needles, have carbon somewhere on the bike. Full bike, front triangles, swingarms, etc. This whole front end on this bike is SCREAMING for carbon. So massive for stiffness reasons, but then ends up so thin.

Geometry is spot on, I could pass on the baby blue, but the black on chrome is tits.

And, ya, mine's full Shimano / Fox as well. Leaps and bounds better.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
Giant doesn't need to make a carbon DH bike. My 2011 medium frame with steel spring weighed 9.5 lbs and is plenty stiff. Is it worth spending a$1000 more when the bike is already as light as anything out there?

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Giant doesn't need to make a carbon DH bike. My 2011 medium frame with steel spring weighed 9.5 lbs and is plenty stiff. Is it worth spending a$1000 more when the bike is already as light as anything out there?
My XL V10 weighed 9.9lbs with Vivid and #550 coil (including through axle & Seat clamp) - 7.54 w/o shock but w/ hardware.

It's silly stiff.

I have done AWFUL things to it.

I was lucky enough to pay a lot less than retail.

I smile a lot.

When I'm not broken.

<waah>

I expect to see a lot of these D.H. DH machines soon.

Last edited:

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
More of a "why not" than a "why", if it's good in alu it will be better in carbon. More expensive, but if there's any company in the world that sells enough DH bikes to justify making 2 frame models, it's Giant.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
but if there's any company in the world that sells enough DH bikes to justify making 2 frame models, it's Giant.
id be interested in seeing Trek's sales for the aluminum Session 88 and plastic 88. id think the price difference would see the metal bike outselling the CF one.
SC tried to sell both version of their V10 but i think they were just trying to sell out of their aluminum bikes before focusing on the CF bike.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
More of a "why not" than a "why", if it's good in alu it will be better in carbon. More expensive, but if there's any company in the world that sells enough DH bikes to justify making 2 frame models, it's Giant.
^^This. I can't name any company with more resources than Giant who can build a fully legit carbon DH bike. Not only that, but who can beat their price on one? I doubt it would be more than $800 more than their current offering. With this geometry, their suspension design, and Danny and Needles to back it, it would outsell any other carbon bike hands down.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
^^This. I can't name any company with more resources than Giant who can build a fully legit carbon DH bike. Not only that, but who can beat their price on one? I doubt it would be more than $800 more than their current offering. With this geometry, their suspension design, and Danny and Needles to back it, it would outsell any other carbon bike hands down.
I'm with you on that. As much as I'm not very fond of suporting Giant I still think a CF glory would be a great idea. Maybe a tiny bit less progressive.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I think the notion of a Carbon 'premium' is exagerated, and as long as 'we' continue to swallow it - the prices will stay high.

Funny that, for example, the Carbon V10 and Alu V10 were the same price at intro -- it has gone up, but so have Alu frames as well.

Prices are what the market will tolerate; people have rationalized tolerating a lot -- dont, and the prices normalize.

But since people 'gotta have it' -- welcome to Redbull pricing! (Appropo I suppose.)

nolson450

Chimp
May 26, 2009
Best looking Giant I've ever seen in my life.

I agree, Shimano/ Fox stuff made the bike much better, but this probably keeps the package cheap.

Although it's a sick /affordable Aluminum frame, I think Giant will eventually have to start selling carbon Glory's and Reign's to stay competitive in the market. Even the guys who buy aluminum Enduro's appreciate Specialized's ability to produce quality Carbon, and dream of upgrading to the holy grail one day.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Prices are what the market will tolerate; people have rationalized tolerating a lot -- dont, and the prices normalize.

But since people 'gotta have it' -- welcome to Redbull pricing! (Appropo I suppose.)
RedBull prices fell in Poland so Redbull prices are low now. "Prices are what the market will tolerate" Even for Redbull though I will buy their products because of their support of awesome events.