Quantcast

Giant Glory info

banj

Monkey
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, Ontario
sleepinggiant said:
From what my giant rep told me, the Glory is susposed to be a euro only model. He said that the bike Rando is riding is the one that the US is getting.
That pic is from btac though...the canadian industry show. I find it hard to believe that they'd bring a different model into canada and the us.

meatboot

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Chapel Hell
banj said:
That pic is from btac though...the canadian industry show. I find it hard to believe that they'd bring a different model into canada and the us.
Doesn't Devinci do separate US and Canadian models for exactly that reason, go get around FSR patent issues?

vtminuteman

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Sharon VT
sleepinggiant said:
From what my giant rep told me, the Glory is susposed to be a euro only model. He said that the bike Rando is riding is the one that the US is getting.
I hope your right, I work a giant dealer, and I would rather buy rando's DH team.

Polytics

Chimp
Mar 28, 2005
Vancouver, BC, Canadistan
My experience with Maestro (Giants VPP design) has been superb with both the Trance and Reign models. No issue with the forged "cut-out" for the shock.

The look of the bike is so-so but I think the super low center of gravity is impressive, and the price-for-spec is awesome.

I wish they used a similar design for the Faith so it would have a full length seat tube for pedalling.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
civilian said:
Just out of curiosity, how is that design even legal? I'm not a lawyer but DW and the guys at IH must be more than a little put off. Lots and lots of hard work for someone to "borrow" a big chunk of the final product.

Unless of course they have licensed the Sunday design.......?
Ugh...the Sunday and the "Monday" are actually quite different... Look at the top link on the "Monday", it's pointing more downward than on the Sunday.

draco

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Roche-STAR
I am surprised no one has suggested that the 1.5 lower/1.125" upper would be effective for reduced head tube ovalization. As most frames that do ovalize do so on the lower cup, by going to a larger bearing/interface you would likely reduce such an issue.

That is in NO way a thumbs up for the 1.5 system however.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Thats the reason then went with the 1.5 lower. However, its still a questionable move, as replacing the headset is now a pain in the arse. Why not just go 1.5 all around, and make everyones life easier and better?

I was also told that the frame Rando was running was a distraction, and was never meant for production. It was made to show off, so nobody caught onto this one.

Strange, but true.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
TheInedibleHulk said:
Surpised no one has mentioned it, but 4500 CAD = 3840 USD. If you can indeed buy a Glory/DH team with a 40 RC2 for 4g or less, I know what I'm riding next year.
i dunno what the rest of you pay (or are willing to pay) for a dh bike, but i'm certainly not spending 4G on any bike... and certainly not this Giant.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well if you don't get a shop or sponsporship hookup, you're gonna be hardpressed to get a NIB full-on DH bike for under 4K. how many bikes have an MSRP of under 4,000?

which is why i buy (gently) used DH bikes.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
The pricing is yet to be confirmed by Giant themselves, but thats what the rep told me whatn I asked him. I asked twice too, and made sure to stress that I wanted the retail price, NOT cost.

They also pointed out that since it wa such a good deal, there will be no Comp version this year.

Seems like a good deal to me.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
FYI, at Eurobike, some of the Giant dudes were talking about a carbon cover that will bolt on the underside of the downtube where the shock protrudes. This should protect it from anything that will get spit up by the front tire.

As for the aesthetics, the Eurobike version had much different graphics - all black with two chrome 'bands' on the top tube and downtube. You'd be amazed at how much different (better) that one looked, just due to the paint job.

--JP

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
John P. said:
FYI, at Eurobike, some of the Giant dudes were talking about a carbon cover that will bolt on the underside of the downtube where the shock protrudes. This should protect it from anything that will get spit up by the front tire.

As for the aesthetics, the Eurobike version had much different graphics - all black with two chrome 'bands' on the top tube and downtube. You'd be amazed at how much different (better) that one looked, just due to the paint job.

--JP
I never understood why giant does the black and chrome thing in europe, and the nasty blue thing here. WTF?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
The 1.125/1.5" HT design is borrowed from road bikes. I have seen a few that run this same basic setup. I think they do it for strength/stiffness with full carbon forks etc. It actually makes some sense when you consider that an E.13 zero stack lower cup could be run to allow taller forks w/o compromising geometry and at the same time providing some additional strength due to the deeper instertion, spreading of load etc. And like others have said the 1.125" upper does allow for better steering and doesn't need to be oversized because it isn't subjected to the same stresses as the lower portion of the HT. It would be cool if someone made a tapered steer tube to take full advantage of this design but I doubt it'll happen.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
It helps to have access to pro deals from a giant dealer... Most DH racers dont pay retail for their bikes, either they have a shop hookup, belong to a team of some kind, or buy used. You'd have to be crazy to buy new DH gear at retail, although 4g for a race ready bike with a 1500 dollar fork is not bad at all. Giant DH teams have always been overpriced at 5500, I'm glad to see they are finally pricing their DH bike like they do the rest of their bikes. If you wanted to get this parts spec (as shown in picture) on say a V10, you would be looking at well north of 5g.

dump said:
i dunno what the rest of you pay (or are willing to pay) for a dh bike, but i'm certainly not spending 4G on any bike... and certainly not this Giant.

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
It looks like it wouldn't be too hard to make some kind of skid plate/guard if you wanted to. But my theory is, if it made it to probuction, its not a ploblem. I'm pretty sure Giant's engineers thought of this too. And, exposed shock designs have made it before (BB7, B1).

Rockin Johny

Chimp
Jan 26, 2002
Ajax, ON
It is available in Canada for sure. Will be putting an order in for mine in a week or two.

Giant always does their homework. And if it rides anywhere as nice as the Reign or Trance it will be a great ride. I don't see any issues at all with this. And adjusting the shock will be alot easier than the current models.