Quantcast

Giant Glory info

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
So, while at BTAC (Canadian Interbike, I guess) I got a bunch of info on the Glory. Thought I would share.

BIke has 9" travel, adn will RETAIL for $1800 CAD for the frame. Thats stupid cheap. Headset is weird, 1.5 lower with a 1 1/8th upper. 150 rear spacing. COmplete bike is 4500 CAD, with nice ringle bits and a Fox RC2.

Lots more pics from BTAC in the DM media gallery...yeah its spam, eat me.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Ummmmm... Thats just horrible looking. That frame makes baby Jesus cry.
Seriously is that shock screwing the downtube? <insert glory hole joke here>

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
At least it's got great access to all the adjustments the DHX is so great for.

Wait... :think:

The one thing that I will say is that the frame will be nice for after the races - go to the gay bars and make a few bucks. :eek:

edit - I guess, in all fairness, it's a lot better than that stupid linkage they had on the previous DH frames. There's nothing like stopping half-way down your DH run to tighten bolts.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
Zark said:
Ummmmm... Thats just horrible looking. That frame makes baby Jesus cry.
Seriously is that shock screwing the downtube? <insert glory hole joke here>
it looks like a Sunday with the lower shock mount moved. get over it. it looks MUCH better than 90% of the frames out there, IMHO.

probably works better than the same 90% too.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
AlmostHeaven said:
..... get over it. it looks MUCH better than 90% of the frames out there, IMHO.

Which frames? The shock "penetrating" the downtube ruins the clean lines of a bike IMO. Almost every DH frame has more appealing lines than this. I know DH aint a fashion show and it might ride great, but that is a bike only a mother could love :p

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
I would probalbly end up hitting the downtube on some rock or something big and breaking the shock...Cool looking though.

speedster

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
What happened to the design rando was running? That frame looked a lot better than this one...ehhhh.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
LOOnatic said:
Okay so besides the goofy looking downtube what in the hell are you to do with a 1.5 lower race and a 1.125 upper? Why not go 1.5 on both ends?

Such is the mystery of Giant and thier wacky engineers. They always do one thing thats so questionable, that noone can figure it out. They did it with the AC, the Faith, and now this.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
So far in this thread we have:
"Giant"
"Penetrating"
"1.5 on both ends"
and "Glory"

The Bike may be suspect but the thread is getting interesting.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
DH biker said:
I would probalbly end up hitting the downtube on some rock or something big and breaking the shock...Cool looking though.
the chainguide/bashguard/BB area would hit before the frame would. and when are you hitting your frame in that spot? i am sure giant has thought of this and has made the mount more than strong enough. its really a non-issue.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
bballe336 said:
the chainguide/bashguard/BB area would hit before the frame would. and when are you hitting your frame in that spot? i am sure giant has thought of this and has made the mount more than strong enough. its really a non-issue.
Won't stop your front tire from throwing up rocks and denting or cracking the shock mount cage though. I've dented a DT or two that way...

I would guess the lower cup of the HS sees higher loads, so maybe they are thinking you can save a few grams if you leave the top cup 1.125 :rolleyes:

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
bballe336 said:
so your front tire never throws rocks at your downtube?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
lovebunny said:
so your front tire never throws rocks at your downtube?
OK, for all you people who are so concerned over the downtube, take a cross section of your downtube and measure its thickness. I bet it is more than a smidgen thinner than a piece of 1/4" CNC aluminum or steel. How many of you have dented or screwed up your bikes CNC'd seat and chainstay yokes from rocks? It will be fine.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I would assume that the wacky headest is to get around the crappy turning radius most 1.5" headtubes bikes have with a fork like a Boxxer or Slider (and Travis?). What's the big deal about a proprietary headset? Hi-End giants have had proprietary cup's and bearings for 4 years now...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Unless someone like Manitou is going to sell a stepped steer tube, with 1.5 at the crown and 1.125 at the stem, that headset idea doesn't make any sense. If it's 1.125 at the top, it's gotta be 1.125 at the bottom too, no?

<sniff sniff> Oh lord, do I smell a new "standard" coming our way?

Edit: I guess you run an 1.125 steerer with the 1.5 adapter for the lower, so the frame can be built around 1.5??

gonzostrike

Monkey
May 21, 2002
Montana
AlmostHeaven said:
it looks like a Sunday with the lower shock mount moved. get over it. it looks MUCH better than 90% of the frames out there, IMHO.

or a Sunday that mated with a Reign :blah:

JAB

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
Almost there...
I highly doubt that a rock thrown from the front tire will damage the lower shock mount significantly. While you might dent a reduced, wide Al tube I don't think a rock will have enough enegry to crack a half inch thick solid piece of forged Al.

I have mixed feelings about the 1.5/1.125 headset. Although I see the structual advantage I think no one will be habby being forced to buy one 1.5 head set, one 1.125 head set and some sort of reducer to replacce the stock set-up.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
glory... awful name for a bicycle

nice to see e13 spec'd after years of that excuse for a chain guide/bash guard.

wonder how it rides... looks decent & somewhat easier to manufacture.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Wow, most hideous bike of the year award. Sure, it might be functional, but it looks terrible. And the paintjob, Giant makes the worst looking paintjobs of any company I can think of. They put so much gloss on their frames that you could probably use them as mirrors. If it weren't for the nice parts spec, I would probably guess that was a Wal-Mart bike.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Surpised no one has mentioned it, but 4500 CAD = 3840 USD. If you can indeed buy a Glory/DH team with a 40 RC2 for 4g or less, I know what I'm riding next year.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
sleepinggiant said:
From what my giant rep told me, the Glory is susposed to be a euro only model. He said that the bike Rando is riding is the one that the US is getting.
euro only? hmm...
wonder if that has to do with patents.

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
sleepinggiant said:
From what my giant rep told me, the Glory is susposed to be a euro only model. He said that the bike Rando is riding is the one that the US is getting.
baaaahhh!!! They must have put it in front of the Pontiac Aztec to make it look better.

civilian

Chimp
Aug 16, 2003
Just out of curiosity, how is that design even legal? I'm not a lawyer but DW and the guys at IH must be more than a little put off. Lots and lots of hard work for someone to "borrow" a big chunk of the final product.

Unless of course they have licensed the Sunday design.......?