Quantcast

Giant Glory or Specialized Demo?

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
Can anyone clarify what headset the 2010 uses? Does it take bearings directly in to the frame like a bmx integrated headset or do you still need reducer cups like a normal 1.5? The site simply says alloy integrated. This makes me think that the bearings are going to fit right in the frame without cups but would like to be sure before this thing shows up.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
My 2 cents, sense I have been on both bikes at Diablo with just about the same setups. Being an East Coast rider myself, I like a nibble feeling bike for the tight terrain on the East Coast. A bike that tracks and turns well is very important here because you don’t get up to the same speeds as you would out West, plus more Roots are here too. The Glory excelled in the tight stuff better for me than the Demo. Now when I got in the higher speed stuff the Demo felt more stable at higher speeds than the Glory. It also felt more of a point and shoot bike to me. Not needed much here on the East Coast. I tend to be a very smooth rider and hop over stuff a lot. The Glory was better for my riding style, plus better for the races I attended. Both can be built up around 38lbs. So you will be able to have a light bike. Both bikes jump very well, but felt that the Glory was easier to bunny hop. I really think ether bike you get you will be very happy with.

Just understand what ever bike you get (any DH bike) it will have its flaws and strengths. It’s all about the rider being able to ride around the flaws and how to capitalize on its strengths. Any real racer will truly understand what I am saying. It’s just goes to show you with great marketing and a name behind it, any DH bike can be pre-traded as best in the world.

Hope this helps some,
Cecil

Last edited:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
from someone who's team is sponsored by Giant?

nope...
Dude, whatever. I never said anything bad about the Demo. Just my 2 cents on how both bikes felt to me. Never made the Glory out as a better bike, but did for me and my riding style. As for the Demo -v- Glory, my choice was made back in 2007 when I was debating between both bikes. I was lucky to have my friends Demo up North for a weekend of riding. I was not sponsored by Giant at that time.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
My 2 cents, sense I have been on both bikes at Diablo with just about the same setups. Being an East Coast rider myself, I like a nibble feeling bike for the tight terrain on the East Coast. A bike that tracks and turns well is very important here because you don’t get up to the same speeds as you would out West, plus more Roots are here too. The Glory excelled in the tight stuff better for me than the Demo. Now when I got in the higher speed stuff the Demo felt more stable at higher speeds than the Glory. It also felt more of a point and shoot bike to me. Not needed much here on the East Coast. I tend to be a very smooth rider and hop over stuff a lot. The Glory was better for my riding style, plus better for the races I attended. Both can be built up around 38lbs. So you will be able to have a light bike. Both bikes jump very well, but felt that the Glory was easier to bunny hop. I really think ether bike you get you will be very happy with.

Just understand what ever bike you get (any DH bike) it will have its flaws and strengths. It’s all about the rider being able to ride around the flaws and how to capitalize on its strengths. Any real racer will truly understand what I am saying. It’s just goes to show you with great marketing and a name behind it, any DH bike can be pre-traded as best in the world.

Hope this helps some,
Cecil
Isn't Diablo mostly fast trails? Alpine? Dominion? Tempest? Utah? Monarch? This whole "we don't have fast trails, it's all slow technical gnar on the East coast". Yeah, my ass...

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Isn't Diablo mostly fast trails? Alpine? Dominion? Tempest? Utah? Monarch? This whole "we don't have fast trails, it's all slow technical gnar on the East coast". Yeah, my ass...
Nope I woud say tracks like Mount Snow Vermont has some fast open trails. Diablo isn't as open and fast as some people think. It is a super fun place to ride and race though.

mtnbiker49

Monkey
Jul 12, 2009
Milford, PA

Hope this helps some,
Cecil
Thank you.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
I dont normally chime in on "which bike" threads, however I have ridden both and owned a demo and these two bikes are incredibley different. After having read through this thread I would agree with everything FCLininder has said but would add that I feel that the Glory is a much better bike for a below expert level rider as it is much more forgiving of cack handed riding. Realistically though I seriously doubt many people would feel instantly comfortable on both bikes, they really are different ways to skin a cat. If you have ridden either and liked it you are on a winner, the feel is just so differnet between them. The other comment that hasn't been mentioned is the question of fit, the size difference between the medium and large glory is huge - and personally I dont fit either.
And as for my demo? I sold it after it bucked me off one too many times! I just dont have the right riding style to get the most out of this bike without taking too many risks - however when I did get it right I have never ridden a faster bike. Of course this isnt just a function of speed and ability, it really is a matter of riding style and personal taste.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Pfftttt..... I dont like either. I dont like how the FSR suspension feels underneath me, and I dont like how short the chainstays are on the glory.

The glory, you can get up on the back end easier, takes rocks with ease, cant feel mthe square edge hits, bike is really small for its size, if you get the Glory freeride youll cry with how steep the front is, even with me its crazy steep.

Demo, Longer chainstays, more stable at hi speed, you can feel the square hits more, all the issues with FSR suspension with braking, to me it feels to have a lower center of gravity.

Overall, they are both good bikes, neither are realy for a beginner. Both are costly to aquire, and if not setup right, youll hate them.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Pfftttt..... I dont like either. I dont like how the FSR suspension feels underneath me, and I dont like how short the chainstays are on the glory.

The glory, you can get up on the back end easier, takes rocks with ease, cant feel mthe square edge hits, bike is really small for its size, if you get the Glory freeride youll cry with how steep the front is, even with me its crazy steep.

Demo, Longer chainstays, more stable at hi speed, you can feel the square hits more, all the issues with FSR suspension with braking, to me it feels to have a lower center of gravity.

Overall, they are both good bikes, neither are realy for a beginner. Both are costly to aquire, and if not setup right, youll hate them.
You do know that the Demo has something like 16.7" chainstays right? I highly doubt the Glory is any shorter.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA

^^What he said. And exactly what are you referring to with "all the issues with FSR suspension with braking". FSR is one of/the most active under braking.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
tyler, since you are brand new to the sport and you are looking for your first bike you are on the right track. Since you have no downhill riding under your belt you personally wont know the difference between a 65.5 degree head angle to a 64 degree head angle. your best bet is to get which ever bike is in the best condition(if your buying used which i think you are) and best price. both the giant and demo will be perfect for diablo for a beginner. if you need help looking into bikes i told you id help you. so just drop me a PM.

Dennis.

p.s. tyler, i saw another jamis break in half today at diablo!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
You do know that the Demo has something like 16.7" chainstays right? I highly doubt the Glory is any shorter.
Yeah, I happen to sell both

^^What he said. And exactly what are you referring to with "all the issues with FSR suspension with braking". FSR is one of/the most active under braking.
FSR likes to get brake rise. Its def not the most active under braking. Its all the issues involved with having the caliper mountes to the seat stays instead of the chain stays<which give squat>

Which niether matter anyways if your like me and you ride light on teh rbakes anyways

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Yeah, I happen to sell both

FSR likes to get brake rise. Its def not the most active under braking. Its all the issues involved with having the caliper mountes to the seat stays instead of the chain stays<which give squat>

Which niether matter anyways if your like me and you ride light on teh rbakes anyways
Depending on both the position of the main pivot, the riders centre of gravity and the angle and location of the chain stay's link, the design can be tuned to be neutral, squatting or jacking.

Having ridden several fsr bikes and owning both an sx trail and a demo 9, I'd say that they are in-fact pretty neutral.

So your saying you sell both demo's and glory's and reckon the demo's chain stay's are longer?? Get off the crack buddy.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Glory chainstay = 17.5" Normal DH length, maybe on the long side by some standards.

Demo chainstay = 16.7" Retarded short by some standards, but seems to work for some people.

Neither of them have a lot of chainstay growth either. Why even type out reviews that are flat out wrong?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Glory chainstay = 17.5" Normal DH length, maybe on the long side by some standards.

Demo chainstay = 16.7" Retarded short by some standards, but seems to work for some people.

Neither of them have a lot of chainstay growth either. Why even type out reviews that are flat out wrong?
Why would you??? were did you get that the demo chainstay is that short.....Looking at the websites now, least for 2010 models, the glory is 17.5 inch chainstay, the Demo......17.4 or for the metric guys...442mm Now for older models, unless there was something different about teh glory I measured, as in physically put the tape to it, it had a short chainstay than the demo that was sitting next to it.

But, just to appease<sp> the masses, I will go out this week, and measure another two up to make sure.

Man I love a good pissing contest..... Hell I could be wrong, Hell I might not....

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Yep your wrong. Real wrong. On absolutely everything you said about the Demo. They actually have a 16.6" chainstay. The shortest on the market for a Dh bike that I know of by a fair amount.
Study up if you are trying to sell them.;)
jedi's have shorter stays.

But lots of extension.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Here's one for you guys: I've been riding Horst Link bikes since 2000. I've had a couple of Enduro's for trail riding and have an A-Line for DH. I'm comfortable with how the suspension acts, I like how HL bikes remain active while pedalling and I'm familiar with how they pre-load when jumping etc...

I'm thinking of getting a new DH bike for next season, and I'm contemplating the Demo and the Glory. I have a buddy who went from a Big Hit to a Glory a couple of years ago. He likes the Glory but says the suspension kinematics are waaaay different on the two, and that it took him a while to adapt to the Giant. He mentions things like pre-loading is more difficult on the Giant, and it's not as "poppy". On the other hand, it corners better, and seems to take square-edged hits better...

What are your thoughts on that? Would I be better off sticking to what I know best (HL), or is it worth giving the Giant a go. Most shops here won't let us take bikes for proper test rides, so unfortunately test riding them is not really an option. I can't really test ride my buddy's bike caus' there a 60lb difference between him and I and his bike would be waaaay undersprung.

Oh yeah, I should mention I ride on the East coast. I'm not a racer, but I can (mostly) keep up with my buddies who are. My home mountain is Camp Fortune in Quebec, but Bromont is where I go on weekends. I'm not a big fan of jumping, my favourite aspect of riding is ripping corners and plowing through rock gardens as fast as possible. My new favourite trail at Bromont is the 19B. I'll go on a DH trip out west or to Europe every other year or so...

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008

Given how keen Specialized are to indoctrinate sales people with what they do, and why they do it, i can only assume you must be a mechanic. Or falling asleep in PK sessions. Specialized should get their rep round to your store ASAP to correct your misinformation.
That is the only explanation for this line of BS.
About the only thing that MIGHT be right with the above is that that Demo feels like it has a low CoG (for what thats worth).

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
...Depending on both the position of the main pivot, the riders centre of gravity and the angle and location of the chain stay's link, the design can be tuned to be neutral, squatting or jacking...

At least someone on here understands some basics of statics/dynamics.

:thumb:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Given how keen Specialized are to indoctrinate sales people with what they do, and why they do it, i can only assume you must be a mechanic. Or falling asleep in PK sessions. Specialized should get their rep round to your store ASAP to correct your misinformation.
That is the only explanation for this line of BS.
About the only thing that MIGHT be right with the above is that that Demo feels like it has a low CoG (for what thats worth).
No, Im sales and Mech, I am there two days week is all. We are primarily a road shop.... god that **** is redundant after awhile..... As far as the square hit, thats exactly what I was feeling when riding one.

The other explanation could be that I am falling into some of my old ways, and just being an ass. Kinda fun to stir the pot sometimes. The guys that have ben here a long time have seen me do this before.

I will repeast the basic statement I made, they are both good bikes to have, they both work, but they both are not for every body.

Serious post, The Demo I was on for a week, was an 07 Demo 8...I could Def feel the braking in the suspension under heavy braking, I had to be braking pretty hard to feel it. I can also feel that in my Blindside<different feel to it though> under extreme braking.

The Glory I was on, was an 08 large....But damn the bike sure felt small. For my size and build I seriously felt I was leaning over the front. Bike worked and handled fine, but Like the Demo, it just wasnt the feel for me on the bike. Didnt spend as much time on the glory because the feel was jus too off for me to get comfy with.

All in all, every bike rides different, there is always something you have to get used to with them all.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Serious post, The Demo I was on for a week, was an 07 Demo 8...I could Def feel the braking in the suspension under heavy braking, I had to be braking pretty hard to feel it. I can also feel that in my Blindside<different feel to it though> under extreme braking.
did it brake anything like this bike?