Quantcast

Giant Proto DH: updates????????

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Does anyone have any new info on Giant's proto dh bike?
Geometry, frame weights, blah, blah, blah......

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
bizutch said:
what do you care? You'll be riding the Wookie for years to come...assuming you even ride it?
Inquiring minds want to know. Besides what do you care what I care? :D

konahucker43

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
central NY
the giant mechanic i talked to at snowshoe told me that randos bike weighs anywhere from 42-44 lbs depending on what wheels and tires he runs. i am guessing its not that light but pretty good

Natedog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Ventura, Ca
Acadian said:
Hey Guys,
I haven't been on here in a long time,but I'm Nate "Dusty" from Michelin,and I may be able to shed some light on the new Giant that I like to call the "monday". Rando's bike as seen in the picture that Acadian posted for us has a 14" bb height and a 65 degree head angle,I'm not too sure on the final top tube and wheelbase measurements. As far as weight goes with a not so light Saint group and his race wheels featuring the fantastic "le systeme" weighs in at 43.5 lbs....not too shabby considering switching to a common race group (fsa cranks,hayes brakes,regular not heavy hubs) and tubeless setup you can easily drop another 2-3lbs not even trying....

So as great as the sunday rides I may be spotted on one of these bad boys next year.....

hope that helps a little bit

Dusty

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
SirChomps-a-Lot said:
Are we talking about the one that had a Sunday linkage? Looks to me like they licensed the design off Ironhorse.
one its not a sunday linkage, two its based off of Giant's maestro design that is used on almost all of their full suspension range. it was not licensed by IH and will not be because giant has been using/working on this design for longer than the DW link has been around.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
bballe336 said:
one its not a sunday linkage, two its based off of Giant's maestro design that is used on almost all of their full suspension range. it was not licensed by IH and will not be because giant has been using/working on this design for longer than the DW link has been around.

Uh oh....

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
SirChomps-a-Lot said:
Are we talking about the one that had a Sunday linkage? Looks to me like they licensed the design off Ironhorse.
not really, from what i understand the only thing that makes the IH unique is that the shock mounts to the lower pivot.

otherwise dw would be paying edgebikes or whoever royaltys.

speedster

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Natedog said:
Hey Guys,
I haven't been on here in a long time,but I'm Nate "Dusty" from Michelin,and I may be able to shed some light on the new Giant that I like to call the "monday". Rando's bike as seen in the picture that Acadian posted for us has a 14" bb height and a 65 degree head angle,I'm not too sure on the final top tube and wheelbase measurements. As far as weight goes with a not so light Saint group and his race wheels featuring the fantastic "le systeme" weighs in at 43.5 lbs....not too shabby considering switching to a common race group (fsa cranks,hayes brakes,regular not heavy hubs) and tubeless setup you can easily drop another 2-3lbs not even trying....

So as great as the sunday rides I may be spotted on one of these bad boys next year.....

Dusty
Thanks Dusty, that was some good info. I didn't know you guys were still using "The System"...the last time I saw that was when Michelin was sponsering a ton of DH'ers, including Nico. I remember hearing it was similar to what you guys use for the rally guys, but I thought you stopped using it because of the weight. Anyways, thanks for the info.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
*runs for cover and peers out to see who will be left standing*

Actually, I wonder if they will be doing an entire range or will just the top model use the new linkage...

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
bballe336 said:
a bunch of inaccurate and useless info
Thou shall not make stuff up and talk out of their arse.

Come see me at the Iron Horse tent at Mt Snow.

-ska todd

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
bballe336 said:
Someone drank the kool-aid...

Mutilatedjak

Chimp
Nov 25, 2004
toodles said:
*runs for cover and peers out to see who will be left standing*

Actually, I wonder if they will be doing an entire range or will just the top model use the new linkage...
my giant rep was saying they are tryin to get all the fs bikes to use meistro suspension, so i guess they will phase out the current moto link design, and use the meistro on all the dh bikes.

roamingoregon

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Wilsonville
ha ha ha ha.

It a prototype! Usually that means it's being tested until it's ready.

Who cares what the weight or geometry is of a prototype? It means nothing
until there is a final production bike...

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Natedog said:
Hey Guys,

Dusty

Thanks for the updates I apprecaite your help.

Natedog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Ventura, Ca
dhkid said:
what tires is that on the bike? i smell prototype.... or its just a bad pic.. :D
Nope...No prototype tires. Those are just off the shelf (out of the race support truck) that any one can buy. Michelin doesn'thave any secret race stock rubber that we use.....all the pro tires come out of normal batches that you and I could get.

The tire he ran at MT St.Anne was a Comp 16 2.5

Dusty

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Natedog said:
Nope...No prototype tires. Those are just off the shelf (out of the race support truck) that any one can buy. Michelin doesn'thave any secret race stock rubber that we use.....all the pro tires come out of normal batches that you and I could get.

The tire he ran at MT St.Anne was a Comp 16 2.5

Dusty
Hey man, it's Butch. I got some stickers for you.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
What I think is really interesting to see about the new Giant DH is that it's all Fox and Shimano, not RS, Raceface, SRAM, Manitou...