Quantcast

Giant Reign x1 vs Trek Slash vs Norco Truax

Discussion in 'Cross Country, All Mountain & Trail Riding' started by mtbforlife1, Oct 10, 2012.

1. mtbforlife1

mtbforlife1 Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Hey guys, I'm looking for a bike that I can pump around XC trails, or to the top of a mountain, but still have a wicked time on the decent, and not worry about not having enough travel. What one of these bikes would you suggest? I'm open to suggestions if anybody has another bike they would recommend. Thanks guys!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Sandwich

Sandwich Pig my fish!
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    68 / 829
    You picked the three best all-around bikes I could think of for a "AM" ride, with maybe a few exceptions.

The Norco does look like it'll destroy the derailleur. Maybe they thought of that and it won't hit the horst link, but I would imagine it would be close. The frame details on the newer norcos are awesome, but then again the treks and giants are no slouch. The trek uses a proprietary DRCV shock, which may be good, but it's not something you can really sell off later. I love the ABP on the Fuel I had, but I started screwing around with big wheels.

Pick which one fits you best or is closest!

3. mtbforlife1

mtbforlife1 Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Ok sweet. I guess at this point it comes down to how the bike feels. What do you mean that the DRCV shock will be something that I will have a hard time selling later?

4. chillindrdude

chillindrdude Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    8 / 23
    Northern VA, a peckerwood with too many guns
    Ive got the slash, it rips downhills and is efficient enough going uphill. The drcv works and suits the bike well. I have heard people using the RS Monarch on the slash. My only grip is that the frame is alittle on the weighty side and wished there was a carbon verson.

5. Sandwich

Sandwich Pig my fish!
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    68 / 829
    the DRCV shock is really only compatible with the trek frame. Few other bikes will be able to use it. I think it's probably one of the better shock options out there, but if you go to sell it, say, in order to buy a coil shock, you might have a hard time since it won't fit other rides.

6. mtbforlife1

mtbforlife1 Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    does the slash handle jumps pretty well? How does the air shock compare to a coil shock in your opinion?

7. mtbforlife1

mtbforlife1 Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    ah that does sound like a downside. So the only thing that it will really effect is resale value though?

8. chillindrdude

chillindrdude Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    8 / 23
    Northern VA, a peckerwood with too many guns
    With the stock drcv, my slash jumps just fine. Pops well from my standpoint, but I don't do huge jumps nor are they horribly radiused like dirt jumps.

No experience with coil shocks on it tho

9. Sandwich

Sandwich Pig my fish!
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    68 / 829
    Yeah just resale value of the shock. I haven't ridden it, but t seems like a fine shock to me.

10. cecil

cecil Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    52 / 997
    I have a 2011 reign I'm 220 with gear on I beat the crap out of it, 3'-4' to flat jumps, drops i shuttle local dh trails with it, no issues so far

11. mtbforlife1

mtbforlife1 Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Thats sweet dude. Thats one of the bikes i am looking at too

12. djjohnr

djjohnr Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    22 / 388
    The other issue with the DRCV shock is you probably won't be able to get it custom tuned if you're so inclined. That would keep me away.

What kind of geometry to prefer?

I have an 07 Reign X that's still going strong; I can't find a reason to replace it. It's long and low, corners really damn well, has a high virtual pivot point, can use a coil shock and eats up chunk nicely. If it broke tomorrow I'd have no problem buying another one.

I'd be tempted to test ride a Banshee Rune V2 IF it can run a coil shock.

13. Zark

Zark Hey little girl, do you want some candy?

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 7
    the slash and reign i have experience with, more with the slash. the slash is a great ride. it mows rockgardens, turns great and climbs. drcv seems to deliver a pretty linear feel, without bottoming too harshly. The propedal is very effective too. The reign has a very different shock feel, more lively. I have a 2010 enduro, pretty fun. I think I would have a tough time deciding between the latest enduro and the slash. The enduro has slightly better geometry the slash. Shorter wheelbase, lower bb and just a touch steeper head angle. The slash however has better pedalling feel and linear travel.

14. sugarbushrider1

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    6'7", 275 and I ride a Reign. I'm ecstatic with the bike, couldn't reccomend it enough, and it's held up to lift served DH as well as XC/AM riding with my fat ass on it.

15. xy9ine

xy9ine Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 123
    norco range 650. the truax is a well sorted & fun bike, but oriented more towards the freeride end of the spectrum (and a bit portly). the range is lighter & more versatile, but still a solid aggressive ripper.