Quantcast

Giant Reign XO 2008

matt2991

penishead
Jun 12, 2006
I am thinking about getting a 08 reign x. I am an aggresive AM rider and do a lot of XC. I ride some urban (drops/ledges) and crappy small trails in the hood. I am going to moab this summer for am/xc. anyone who has the bike or has tried one, how is it. my main concern is it prob sucks at xc and climbing. i may be wrong though. please give me your feed back.

thanks,
matt

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
Bullcrew it sounds like you have some experience with the Reign X. I have been looking at the frame and was wondering if it could handle a dual crown fork i.e. a 2004 Super T.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Are you sure you wanna go with the X? I have an X1 and it's the perfect bike for me, but i lean more towards the downhill part of the spectrum, while you seem to place your emphasis on XC. The X doesn't suck at climbing by any means, especially when you take into account how capable it is going down, but if you're not going to do lift assisted riding or racing regularly a regular Reign might serve you just fine. Of course i base all this on how my bike is set up, e.g. short stem and all that; i'm sure that especially the XO can be used as an agressive all mountain rig with the right parts.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
I was leaning heavily towards a Reign X last summer, but I ended up with a Bullit instead due to the fact that I could customize the parts spec to make it more of an all-mountain ripper that's a fair bit lighter than the X. Basically, I sort of viewed the Reign X as more of a freeride bike that you could XC in a pinch, and the Bullit's more of a long-travel all mountain bike.

The topper for me was that I owned a Bullit before, and that thing held up solidly for 7 years - by far the most durable bike I've ever owned.

--JP

auntesther

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Boston, MA
I have had a Reign X since Nov of 2006 and I love it. I have rode it all over the place. I have done super long epic rides with tons of climbing, dh shuttle runs, trail rides, etc and the bike is awesome. With a DHX air on it, 36 Float, etc and it sits a hair over 30 lbs. There is definately other places I coudl shed more weight but as its built now, I am confident it could handle anything I threw at it without a whimper. Geometry is awesome on the bike, pedals so well I never turn the propedal on and just handles great. BB is low, not super low but I did smack the pedals a fair bit til I got used to it. Tradeoff is it corners awesome, low COG definately helps. Climbs pretty well. Its still a 30 lb bike with pretty slack geo but I run my bars slammed as low as I can get them and it pedals really well so it IMO it climbs pretty well all thigns considered.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
It could without a problem. Its slack and capable.
aside from the fact that it voids warranty - the only bikes in the giant lineup designed for DC forks are the glories (and faiths team DH etc) - DC on reign will void warranty

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
I have had a Reign X since Nov of 2006 and I love it. I have rode it all over the place. I have done super long epic rides with tons of climbing, dh shuttle runs, trail rides, etc and the bike is awesome. With a DHX air on it, 36 Float, etc and it sits a hair over 30 lbs. There is definately other places I coudl shed more weight but as its built now, I am confident it could handle anything I threw at it without a whimper. Geometry is awesome on the bike, pedals so well I never turn the propedal on and just handles great. BB is low, not super low but I did smack the pedals a fair bit til I got used to it. Tradeoff is it corners awesome, low COG definately helps. Climbs pretty well. Its still a 30 lb bike with pretty slack geo but I run my bars slammed as low as I can get them and it pedals really well so it IMO it climbs pretty well all thigns considered.
30 lbs? the stock builds come in around 37+ lbs; the ones i've seen w/ lightish, high $$$ but relatively strong builds (DT 5.1 rims etc) are around 35lbs.

do you have crossmax XL wheels on there or something?

auntesther

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Boston, MA
30 lbs? the stock builds come in around 37+ lbs; the ones i've seen w/ lightish, high $$$ but relatively strong builds (DT 5.1 rims etc) are around 35lbs.

do you have crossmax XL wheels on there or something?
no crossmax but as its my primary trail bike I have Hutchinson AitLight Barracuda tires single ply running tubeless, XC clipless pedals, WTB Rocket V ti saddle, thomson post/stem, easton low rise bars, etc. Maybe its closer to 31 lbs but with a DHX air the med frame is about 8.5-8.75 lbs. Eliminating things like heavy pedals, dual ply tires, chunky dh stems, etc makes a big difference.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i have an older regular reign and i can tell you that the bike can climb with the best of them. the reign i have is more like the non X version though. a couple of weekends ago i rode a trail that had about a 6-7mile climb and it did so without trying my lazy ass out too much.

matt2991

penishead
Jun 12, 2006
Ya , I am going out to Moab this summer so it needs to be able to handle that. Possibly some small FR stuff out there, but mostly XC/agressive all mountain stuff on Porcepine Rim. I live in Maryland, so a lot of rocks and smooth fast flowy singletrack and some FR in the area. I was thinking maybe a slayer sxc. It kinda comes down to the price for me. For some reason, I like the look of the XO more than the regular reign.

matt2991

penishead
Jun 12, 2006
Anyone here have a Jamis komodo? I find it hard to pedal and sucky at climbing. My brakes are messed up so that may be some of it, but even when my brakes were working perfectly, I still thought it was kinda sucky at peadaling and climbing. That is the bike I want to replace.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
Mine is ~31.5 pounds (14.5kg- it was 14 with the stock crossmax ST's). It's a great bike, but I find mine a fraction short in the top tube for longer rides- with a longer stem it works much better, but then its not as fun on the dh bits...

matt2991

penishead
Jun 12, 2006
Love the color on that. Is it possible to get that version here in the states? I guess I may just have to pay more?

happhazard

Chimp
Aug 30, 2005
I've had an X1 for a couple of months now and love it. Its good for XC imo, if you swap out some of the heavier parts. I chose the X1 over the X0 primarily for the coil sprung fork and shock. Stock cranks are somewhere in the 1400g range. Mine sits at 34lbs without a ti spring or any carbon. Total weight stock was~38 lbs. The bike seems to do everything pretty well.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
The Reign X will have absolutely no problems with free ride stuff in moab... I raced mine DH last year at Anglefire, Keystone, Sol Vista, etc. This bike rips. Corners like mad, super smooth over bumps. Climbing geometry isn't ideal, but the pedaling efficiency is amazing. You won't be dissappointed

Also, I'd avoid the regular reign. 1"+ taller in the BB, 2 degrees steeper headangle, etc. Much more XC feel to it.

matt2991

penishead
Jun 12, 2006
Ya I mean I am not avoiding the reign, but the reign x looks cooler lol and I think it is more what I need for AM type riding. I have also been thinking transition covert

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I have a Reign X frame on the way. I estimate with my build it will be right at 30lbs. I have all the parts, just waiting on the frame.

08 XTR 7" brakes
08 XTR cranks
08 XTR rear der
08 XTR rear shifter
08 36 Float R
08 RP23
e.13 lg1 w 36t guidering
Easton Havoc Wheels
Easton MLXC carbon bars
EC90 Zero carbon post
Easton Havoc 65mm Stem
WTB Silverado Saddle
King Headset

Basically the lightest stuff you can get that is still strong enough to hold up. Should be a fun bike, can't wait.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I've got a Reign X1 built around ~35lbs. It's the best bike that can do well at a DH race and then do a 5 hour epic that I've ever ridden. Geometry isn't perfect for climbing, but the rear suspension is better then average for anti-squat which makes up for it.

You'll love the X0

matt2991

penishead
Jun 12, 2006
ya, I am really tempted to buy a reign x. The only thing is I heard they are really squishy feeling kinda and tough to climb. Like I wanna be able to ride this a little on my home XC/AM type trails. It is also damn expensive. Says on the Giant site it is like $3600

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Some monkey was selling his Covert on our buy and sell some while ago. Actually I thought I saw two-three of them. :clue:

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Mine is ~31.5 pounds (14.5kg- it was 14 with the stock crossmax ST's). It's a great bike, but I find mine a fraction short in the top tube for longer rides- with a longer stem it works much better, but then its not as fun on the dh bits...

Check out the Syntace VRO range of adjustable bar-stem combo's.

www.bike-mailorder.de

I have no experiance with them so I can't say anything about them. But they're a German brand (that don't sell on the small Swedish market), been around for a while, and they seem by the looks of it to be one of their better companies. I'm getting their Vector Lowrider 7075 bar my self. 25,4mm, 700mm wide, 268gr, 13mm rise, and a choice of 12 or 16 degree backsweep!

Oct 14, 2007
aside from the fact that it voids warranty - the only bikes in the giant lineup designed for DC forks are the glories (and faiths team DH etc) - DC on reign will void warranty
I was just gonna say that...look at is this way, if the bike doesn't come OEM with a dual crown fork [any of the models] then i will void the waranty in 99% of the cases

+ Giant has life time on the frame

F.Y.I. I have to admit, Giant's have a niceeeeee powder coat finish

matt2991

penishead
Jun 12, 2006
I mean I live in Maryland. There is some lift serviced trails like 2.5 hours away, and then there are some shuttle trails. I will mostly be riding fast, flowy singletrack. But, there is also some really rocky and tech trails. None of these trails have huge lung busting climbs. When I go to West Virginia however, there is some 10 mile climb up a fireroad. Maybe I should just go for the regular reign even though it isn't as sexy as the xo.

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
I mean I live in Maryland. There is some lift serviced trails like 2.5 hours away, and then there are some shuttle trails. I will mostly be riding fast, flowy singletrack. But, there is also some really rocky and tech trails. None of these trails have huge lung busting climbs. When I go to West Virginia however, there is some 10 mile climb up a fireroad. Maybe I should just go for the regular reign even though it isn't as sexy as the xo.
I do 15+ mile AM rides with my Reign X1 along with my buddies on their XC bikes. In a lot of cases I'm actually leading the pack on bumpy trails, because the suspension pedals so well, yet smooths out the trail like no other.

That's with DH tires and a 66 fork. Weighs around 40 lbs.

The Reign X bikes pedal like hardtails when you're seated. Besides build weight, I don't think having any less travel would make make this suspension design pedal any better than it already does. For fireroad climbs the Reign X isn't going to be any slower than any other bike in a similar weight range, but with less travel. The only parts the X doesn't like are steep techy trail climbs, and that's just due to being so slack and low geometry, not because of suspension efficiency.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
so anyone know the reign X 2008 frame weight w/ a coil shock? What's the eye-to-eye on the shock -- i have an extra DHX-Air 7.785 X 2.25 inch in the parts bin.

also what's the real-world BB height and HA? the geo chart on the giant website shows a bizarre method of measuring HA relative to a straight line thru the BB and rear wheel axle.

thx.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
thx for the quick & useful response.

i think i have a line on a cheap price on the frame...just have to get a decent price on a lyrik 1.125 HT i guess.

now that Trek etc are going to 1.5 lower ST/1.125 upper steerer tube, i suspect that'll show up in the new version of the reign X in the future.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
zing. Right in my balls.

Its definitely a high leverage design. Also, I wasn't too impressed with the shock being so short. I found the longer stroke shock, and lower leverage of the SX trail to feel like the travel was "deeper". I never got to try it with an air shock though, although I've heard great things.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I weigh 180 with gear and need about 1 full turn of preload to get 30% sag on the stock 450lb spring.

I wouldn't turn down a lower leverage re-design in the future, but the damping feels well controlled through the shock's stroke to me. It definitely hasn't been a problem.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
so anyone know the reign X 2008 frame weight w/ a coil shock? What's the eye-to-eye on the shock -- i have an extra DHX-Air 7.785 X 2.25 inch in the parts bin.

also what's the real-world BB height and HA? the geo chart on the giant website shows a bizarre method of measuring HA relative to a straight line thru the BB and rear wheel axle.

thx.
Mine finally showed up! It's a medium frame with DHX coil. Weight is 8.88# on an Ultimate hanging digital scale. With the '09 DHX air I have on the way it should be about 1 pound lighter. Or with an RP23 a little over a pound lighter.

DHX-C = 8.88
DHX-Ti = ~8.25
DHX-A = ~7.88
RP23 = ~7.50

hhemmerde

Chimp
Jun 20, 2008
Hey Daver, noticing you are using a Larsen TT in the rear, how are you finding it? I am starting to run one in ghetto tubeless instead of a single ply High Roller and I am wondering if I am making the right choice, basically I thought it would roll a bit better while still maintaining traction.

Cheers!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
here's a pic of mine. Just built it up, haven't hit the dirt yet. It passes the parking lot test with flying colors though. I really think I'm going to like this bike.

Attachments