Quantcast

Giant STP for freeriding?

_daemon_

Chimp
Sep 20, 2007
Been riding alot of the local "North Shore/freeride/AM/whatever" trails lately, and doing some small drops, and jumps etc. on my Giant Trance, the bike handles it all perfectly, but....it's getting a little abused, and I want to use it in enduro races etc. So was thinking get a STP as a "play" bike. Would a STP handle it, or is it more a pure DJ bike?

Some vids of the stuff I ride.

and

and here is a video of some local guys riding on mostly some of the trails I will be taking the STP.
and

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I have an STP as my "everything but dh" bike right now and I have to say it's the best bike I've ever owned. Very capable of riding fast and shredding trails. It's not the most stable over rocky rooty trail but it doesn't look like you guys have much of that where you ride.

I have mine with holy rollers a 110mm fork and a 420mm seatpost (I'm 6'3) on it that balances my various uses pretty well. With some real tires and a pike u turn on the front it would be perfect for you. I've even seen guys mount up dual crowns and go racing on these bikes so they can take a beating. I purchased the bike at the height of my "drop to flat" stage and while I've busted a couple wheels, the frame is going strong after almost 3 years.

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
I've used my STP for all types of Urban,Skate Park,Jumps, and drops up to 8ft. It's never whimpered once. My Outlaw rear wheel is almost dead, but the frame is going strong! I cased a large stair gap trying to dial it in, and put a nice dent in the wheel.

110mm 4x up front rides great.

_daemon_

Chimp
Sep 20, 2007
I have an STP as my "everything but dh" bike right now and I have to say it's the best bike I've ever owned. Very capable of riding fast and shredding trails. It's not the most stable over rocky rooty trail but it doesn't look like you guys have much of that where you ride.

I have mine with holy rollers a 110mm fork and a 420mm seatpost (I'm 6'3) on it that balances my various uses pretty well. With some real tires and a pike u turn on the front it would be perfect for you. I've even seen guys mount up dual crowns and go racing on these bikes so they can take a beating. I purchased the bike at the height of my "drop to flat" stage and while I've busted a couple wheels, the frame is going strong after almost 3 years.
Duel crown hey. Anyone know what's the max travel fork you can setup on a STP before the headtube stresses becomes to much?
I have a old manitou minute 1 130mm fork lying around.

_daemon_

Chimp
Sep 20, 2007
mmmmm.......decisions, decisions, thinking a STP will make me abetter rider, platforms, HT, 100mm upfront etc. will make me smoother but then, would it make such a difference on these trails or should I just ride Trance, but then...a crash that says breaks my rear deraillear might put me out of racing for a while do to budget constraints.

Perhaps make the STP even a SS, less stuff to break etc. but then it might limit what one can do with the bike.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
stp stands for street trails park, it will hold up. I personally know jeff and he does all his trials and dj stuff on the bike. It can do drops to flat.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
word, i have the 08 STP and i love it. super solid and its very snappy and will take anything you throw at it. if jeff rides it, so can you with no problems.

giantrider89

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
P-town, MN
yep ill seventh (or whatever nth) the stp as being a kick a$$ frame!

i had a big (180mm) fork on it for a while just for fun, and it didnt really feel right.....was def putting a lot of stress on the fork/headtube....so keep away from dual crowns......

SSHT

Chimp
Aug 2, 2007
The aye's have it, so I guess I don't really need to weigh in, but I love my STP. The frame is practically indestructible and the geometry is great for anything you throw at it. Drop the seat and you're jumping. Raise it and climb all you want. I converted mine to single speed and couldn't be happier.
My wheels go square before the frame even blinks.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
They break eventually with hard use. I've broken one, and seen 3 others break. Mine was warrantied with no hassle.
I would still buy another one.