Quantcast

Giant STP for street trials?

Anders

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Carlsbad, CA, USA
so i tried out trials on my santa cruz chameleon a couple years ago but had a rough time learning on it. i then got a great deal on a trials rig. rode it for a year then sold it as i got bored of trials. now im itching for some streety trials, and have a good deal on a stp frame. how would something like this be for me?

on my chameleon i ride urban, basically just manuals and bunny hops. id like to add in pedal kick drops and a few lunges. nothing serious. absolutely no natural trials, no djs

im 6'3 and ride a large chameleon for street with a 23.5" TT. the stp is a regular, 22" TT frame. i will use a longer stem on the stp. i will also use a suspension fork. what travel should it be around? i have a 5" now, i suspect a 3-4" would be best?

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
If you shorten the travel (lower the fork) you will be dropping the BB at the same time. The lower the BB, the harder it is to do rear wheel moves. But if you don't drop the BB, you'll have the fork working through it's long travel and changing the bike geo and throwing you off when you do a trick. It's going to be a setup of compromises, like any do-all bike. I would just make the fork as stiff as possible and try to cut some weight if you get the stp.

Anders

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Carlsbad, CA, USA
If you shorten the travel (lower the fork) you will be dropping the BB at the same time. The lower the BB, the harder it is to do rear wheel moves. But if you don't drop the BB, you'll have the fork working through it's long travel and changing the bike geo and throwing you off when you do a trick. It's going to be a setup of compromises, like any do-all bike. I would just make the fork as stiff as possible and try to cut some weight if you get the stp.
yeah i guess ur right. maybe i can find a zebdi at some point :(

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I know a straight up dude at observedtrials.net who might be selling his. Get an account and PM me there (same user name) and I will put you in contact with him. He built it up and immediately bought another bike.

Anders

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Carlsbad, CA, USA
I know a straight up dude at observedtrials.net who might be selling his. Get an account and PM me there (same user name) and I will put you in contact with him. He built it up and immediately bought another bike.
im tra la log over there. are you speaking of the guy in NM? id want frame only

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
if you want something cost efficient get a used planet-x or a Marino

if you want to ball out Echo, Czar, and Adamant are making 24" trials bikes (with seats) or u could get a older stock (26") trials bike.

Rockman makes a new trials bike 26" old school geo its called the Switch thing is absolutely SICK