Giant Trance X2 with FOX Talas 2009 36 RC2 Fork

ilanch

Chimp
Jun 29, 2009
Hi guys,
i need help,
i own giant trance x2 with Fox talas 2008 RLC 32 140mm
i want to upgrade to FOX Talas 2009 36 RC2 160mm,

i know i have to replace the Hub to 20mm but i wonder if i will have any problems with the Giant trance x2 2008 frame.

can i install FOX Talas 2009 36 RC2 160mm on this frame?
my frame is 5" Medium size, when purchased last year i have changed the original fork to Fox talas 2008 RLC 32 140mm

Here you can see the manufacturer specs:
size XS,S,M,L,XL
color White/Silver
frame ALUXX SL-Grade Aluminum, 5.0" Maestro Suspension
fork Fox 32 F120RL, 120mm travel w/ 15QR Thru Axle
shock Fox Float RP2
handlebar Race Face Evolve XC low rise, 31.8
stem Race Face Evolve XC
seatpost Race Face Evolve XC 350x30.9mm
saddle WTB Devo Comp
pedals Crank Brothers Smarty, Custom for Giant
shifters Shimano XT Rapidfire
front derailleur Shimano SXL
rear derailleur Shimano XT Shadow, top normal
brakes Hayes Stroker Trail Custom for Giant 180F/160R
levers Hayes
cassette SRAM PG-980 11/34, 9-speed
chain Shimano HG-73
cranks Race Face Deus XC, 22/32/44
BB Race Face X Type, external
rims WTB LaserDisc Trail
hubs [F] Giant Tracker Sealed/CNC Disc w/ 15mm Axle, 32H [R] WTB Laser Disc Lite, 32H
spokes DT Competition, 14/15g
tires Kenda Nevegal, 26x2.1 Folding

can install new fork FOX Talas 2009 36 RC2 without damagin the frame?

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
The 36 TALAS is a lot more fork than a Trance should run, IMO. You're pinkbiking it by putting a huge fork on it. Why? To feel burly? A Reign is more the frame for a 36 TALAS. The Trance is better suited to a 32mm stanchion fork like the 32 Vanilla, 32 Float, 32F, or 32 TALAS. If you want burlier then try the 15mm axle Fox 32 chassis model, or try a RockShox Pike or Revelation with 20mm axle.

The Axle-to-Crown of the 36 TALAS at 160mm travel is a lot taller than the 32 chassis fork at 140mm travel. So you're going to slack out the head angle by a good amount. This will make it harder to weight your front tire when cornering so you can expect to have more front wheel washout.

You can also expect to have a lot of front wheel wander when climbing, but you can counter that by punching the TALAS down to the first click at 130mm travel.

You may have problems with the TALAS knob or the damping knobs hitting your downtube. You can fix this with a Cane Creek S-3 +5mm headset, which adds 5mm stack height to the bottom race & cup. This extra 5mm also slacks the head angle out further, which will increase the problem of front wheel washout or front wheel wander.

The 36 TALAS is a really nice fork but it's possible for a really nice fork to be too much for a given frame. I would suggest avoiding the 36 TALAS if I were you, but it's your money and your bike! Personally, I like a balanced bike, not a bike that has too much travel at either end. I think most riders like a balanced bike as well.

It's not an "upgrade" if it makes your bike handle worse. It's a DOWNGRADE when it does that. Even if the 36 TALAS is a fancier fork, it's a DOWNGRADE if it messes up your bike's handling.

Last edited: