Quantcast

Giant XTC frame built & ready to ride.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Ok – my new XC frame is ready to roll – I fitted myself this afternoon. The set-up, as photographed, is how I will be riding the bike for general XC, I have compromised the height of the handlebars by about 15mm so that I will have a more favorable position on the steep downhill stuff I sometimes run across. With the seat down about 80 to 100mm, I should have a decent center of gravity and a more stable ride than my previous frame could offer.

I have included a picture that shows the stand-over height of the 17” frame which only gave me about ¾” of cushion room – the 14” size gives me over 2” and I am much more comfortable with that. It kind of looks like there is way too much seatpost – I am pushing the limit with 290mm from the collar to the saddle rails but it is a 410mm post.

The drive-train is full XT – I was able to transfer everything from the old frame but had to buy a new rear derailleur. Giant provided an integrated headset adapter so I was able to use my standard Chris King. The fork is a 2001 Marzochhi Z1 X-Fly cross county air/oil. I have a 2002 SID SL on my infamous Y-22 and nearly put that on… I decided to stick with plush since this is a hard-tail.

New stuff:

Frame – Warranty for busted ATX 990
Wheel set – Rhyno Lite XL, 32 Wheelsmith SG and XT disk hubs.
Brakes – Pair of Avid 185 mechanical disks.
Pedals – Time Aliums that I really didn’t need but for $40.00…
Post and Stem are Thomson and I think that is about there is to know about the bits.

Aside from pressing the headset I built this one up myself – the first bike I have built in 15 years. Much easier than I remember – especially the cranks and bottom bracket. Self pulling cranks kick ASS~~~! The only mistake I made was cutting a portion of the rear brake cable a little short… not bad for me.

Tomorrow I ride with the Cardio Crew on fire roads for speed and climbing but Friday I have the whole evening free for an extended 100% trail ride… I can’t wait.

The Giant XTC SE1 in the small size with original specs weighs 21.5 LBS without pedals. My bike as shown weighs a tad less than 27 LBS – the rims, hubs, tires and disks added nearly 4 LBS. The other porkyness comes from the Odi grips, XT group and stem/seatpost/saddle. I’m not going to sweat it though…

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
the bike looks good, although I'm not to syre about the seat post, looks mighty tall, I think its silly on Giants part to jump from a 14 to a 17" size, probably why I don't ride one, I'm 5'6" and would need something in between.

anyway great spec, I'm sure you'll have fun, but dude, that seat post...can you say scafholding !

IKE

Chimp
Jun 17, 2002
thats lookin nice. the seatpost is SCAAARY though :devil:

now lets do some night rides?!@#@#

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by rockracing
the bike looks good, although I'm not to syre about the seat post, looks mighty tall, I think its silly on Giants part to jump from a 14 to a 17" size, probably why I don't ride one, I'm 5'6" and would need something in between.
I agree a 16 would have been great - I spent a good deal of time deciding on the size, in the end I decided it was best to go with the small size. So far I am really liking the frame - the long seat post doesn't bother me much but it does look funny.

Giant really stepped and went out of their way to warranty an old frame that other mfg's would have just laughed at. This will be my 3rd Giant frame - because of their excellent customer service I'll be a customer for life.

:) :) :)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Here is why I chose the 14" over the 17" - I am 5ft7.
I thought you had steel plums???

Nice lookin rig man, i have a feeling this bike will make you happier than your older ones!:cool:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Skookum
I thought you had steel plums???
I do - they have a nasty habbit of denting top tubes... :evil:

ummmbikes and I are thinking of a Porter Creek shuttle Friday night... you could have 3 days of happy trails???

TheJaybird

Chimp
Jun 1, 2003
Woodland, CA
That's a sweet looking ride dude! Giant DOES have good customer service. My fiance and I both have Giant road bikes and Simple Singles. Those cruisers rule:D

Happy riding!

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
OMG that seatpost is long i would ahve almost gone with the big frame just so you wouldn't have that huge ass post to ride on.
Other than that it looks awsome.:thumb:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
The guy in town who owns the LBS is having some major problems getting a warranty bike frame from GIANT. Odd.......

Triphop

Chimp
Sep 10, 2002
Originally posted by JMAC
OMG that seatpost is long i would ahve almost gone with the big frame just so you wouldn't have that huge ass post to ride on.
Other than that it looks awsome.:thumb:
My Chameleon requires me to run a real long post like that as well...at first it made me nervous, but after riding it, it flexes nicely to make the ride not so harsh.

Serial...let us know how it rides, I was considering one of those frames. Looks pretty tight! :D

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Triphop
I was considering one of those frames.
I think a medium frame weighs 3 LBS 6 OZ - and they retail for $350.00. To me that is a bargain - especially when you consider the warranty.

So far my bike does not excellerate well 9 (heavy wheel build) but once up to speed it's nice. Climbing is good and high speed stability is good for me with the lower BB. I havoe only had it on 3 miles of trails so... no comments there yet.

I've been bombing some fire roads to get used to the new geometry - surprisingly little rear end bounch or wash, even at speeds of 35 MPH plus. I did washout twice on loose gravel but it was predictable and easy to recover from - the lateral stiffness is pretty cool comming from years of full squishies.

So far I am really liking it.

I have to comment on the brakes again - SWEET!!! 185's on a 27LB bike with a 160 LB rider = more power than I'll ever need.

You could build this frame for $1,400.00 at 23 to 24 LBS without disks and have a great XC ride. I'm at around $1,800 (free frame) for this build while the factory spec ones MSRP at $3,300.00.