Quantcast

Gifford...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
So at what point do they declare that she is unfit to fulfill her role as a representative of the people (given that she's on a feeding tube)? I'd assume that she will never be fully capable of doing her job again, so when does the Governor get to appoint a new one?

I know it's morbid, but she's brocolli. Arizona is being mal-represented.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Yeah, why bother with what doctors have to say about her condition when you can diagnose her condition over the interwebs...

And considering the political views of her district and the political views of the AZ governor, I'd say that her constituents are being better represented by her in a hospital than a hand-picked replacement sitting in DC.

edit: Was that an intentional use of "replacement picked by the governor" as opposed to, say, an election? Because those two actions would have drastically different results... I'm only asking because I can imagine the right-wing drooling on themselves at the possibility of having Brewer appoint someone for that district to serve for the remaining 21 months of her term.

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yeah, why bother with what doctors have to say about her condition when you can diagnose her condition over the interwebs...
From the article: Both her husband and her doctors remain very optimistic. Her neurosurgeon told the press that he feels, overall, that Giffords is doing very well. They also indicated they are very pleased with her progress. They would not go so far as to predict how much of her motor and speech skills Giffords may recover.

dante said:
And considering the political views of her district and the political views of the AZ governor, I'd say that her constituents are being better represented by her in a hospital than a hand-picked replacement sitting in DC.

edit: Was that an intentional use of "replacement picked by the governor" as opposed to, say, an election? Because those two actions would have drastically different results... I'm only asking because I can imagine the right-wing drooling on themselves at the possibility of having Brewer appoint someone for that district to serve for the remaining 21 months of her term.
How is someone who can't vote either for OR against policies that effect you as a constituant Good for you?
As for the Governor comment, most states have an appointment by governor clause in case a representative is no longer able to do their role. In CA it's if the term is over 50% done (iirc). If it's <50% into the term, a special election is held.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
From the article: Both her husband and her doctors remain very optimistic. Her neurosurgeon told the press that he feels, overall, that Giffords is doing very well. They also indicated they are very pleased with her progress. They would not go so far as to predict how much of her motor and speech skills Giffords may recover.
Motor skills, not cognitive function. I'm assuming you'd claim Stephen Hawking would be unfit due to a lack of motor/speech skills?

How is someone who can't vote either for OR against policies that effect you as a constituant Good for you?
As for the Governor comment, most states have an appointment by governor clause in case a representative is no longer able to do their role. In CA it's if the term is over 50% done (iirc). If it's <50% into the term, a special election is held.
You really can't figure that one out? Seriously? She represents one of the few heavily Democratic districts, and her replacement would be picked by a heavily conservative Republican governor. Oh, that sounds like it would work out REALLY well...

And yes, if that happened to my (Democratic) congresswoman, I'd far prefer an incapacitated representative to whatever jack-booted thug our new wackjob governor would pick.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Why is this even an issue when supposedly alive-and-well politicians no-show for votes all the time?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Isn't it a tad early to be speculating on this? Whats it been, three weeks? Of course its going to take some time for her recovery it doesn't mean you fill her position not even a month in to it.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Isn't it a tad early to be speculating on this? Whats it been, three weeks? Of course its going to take some time for her recovery it doesn't mean you fill her position not even a month in to it.
It's amazing how long conservatives will force constituents to be underrepresented when it means that they're blocking a liberal from going to DC...

But when someone shoots a congresswoman in the face, she should be replaced immediately. :think:

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I still say we double the size of the place. Can we say coalition government?

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
So at what point do they declare that she is unfit to fulfill her role as a representative of the people (given that she's on a feeding tube)? I'd assume that she will never be fully capable of doing her job again, so when does the Governor get to appoint a new one?

Man, you really are a piece of ****.

scrider

Chimp
May 2, 2004
Phoenix

In her current condition she could do a better job then anyone Jan Brewer would appoint to replace her.
J

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Well, with Joker's line of reasoning, they could have put Byrd to sleep 20 years ago.

Hell, Gifford is probably more alert and responsive than Boehner was last night.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Frankly, it is such a political loser, no one is suggesting it.
Actually, I read that the Tea Party candidate in her district (who lost, clearly) put forth an inquiry within the week regarding an election. Tactless assholes.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Beyond the fact that what I am saying is callous, let's be honest. If you were capacitated at work, your boss would immediately start distributing your work around to others to keep business flowing until your return.

Our senior government officials have succession plans for this scenario: Pres, VP, Speaker of House, etc..

The fact is that she is incapacitated and cannot do her job.

As for Stephen Hawkins, you pick the execption to the numbers. Most with crippling disorders (let alone physicists) are not as smart as he is. Most with massive brain trauma are not going to recover fully.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Well, at least Jan Brewer can't deny her any organ transplants (unlike what she did to other "fellow" Arizonans).
I would like to thank Arizona for making Florida look relatively sane.

But of course, our Thief in Chief is not up to speed yet. He may be hatching plans to turn Cubans in to soyelent green or some crazy sh!t.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Beyond the fact that what I am saying is callous, let's be honest. If you were capacitated at work, your boss would immediately start distributing your work around to others to keep business flowing until your return.

Our senior government officials have succession plans for this scenario: Pres, VP, Speaker of House, etc..

The fact is that she is incapacitated and cannot do her job.

As for Stephen Hawkins, you pick the execption to the numbers. Most with crippling disorders (let alone physicists) are not as smart as he is. Most with massive brain trauma are not going to recover fully.
How about asking her constituents, you know, the people who elected her? Right now I'm in a similar congressional district; a VERY liberal Congresswoman, and a right-wing nutjob conservative governor. If anything happened to her, I would take a cardboard cutout propped up in her chair in the house over anyone that he would hand pick to replace her.

Handing that seat over to a person hand-picked by Brewer means that Beck-loving retard that shot her won. When you don't agree with someone's political views (and you have a governor with similar views to your own) just shoot them in the face and allow your conservative governor to replace them? Seriously?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Frankly, it is such a political loser, no one is suggesting it.
Actually, I read that the Tea Party candidate in her district (who lost, clearly) put forth an inquiry within the week regarding an election. Tactless assholes.
yo dawg, i heard you wanted a troll in your troll

dante said:
and a right-wing nutjob conservative governor
nj right? if so, you can h8 all you want, but the fat man has been tuning up the teachers union.

aw yeah...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
nj right? if so, you can h8 all you want, but the fat man has been tuning up the teachers union.
WI. Walker just turned down $810m in federal money for expanding a rail line between Madison and Milwaukee which would have employed ~5,000 people for the next 3 years. He's made it far harder for the state to defend itself against regulatory lawsuits, has killed 19 (privately-funded) windfarm projects, is ramming through a voter-id program (even though there's been zero voter fraud recorded), and recently cost his county (Milwaukee, where he'd been Co executive) over a million dollars after he lost a lawsuit over inappropriately laying off security workers. He claimed there was a fiscal emergency and overruled the legislature by laying off all of the security detail and contracting it out to a private firm. They sued, and won, and now they get all of the backpay for the past year. In an effort to save ~$50k, he cost the (broke) county over $1m.

Whether you agree with him or not, Christie has made progress in turning NJ into a more fiscally responsible state. Walker's just ramming through whatever bullsh!t conservative ideas he can with his Republican legislature.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
you're looking at it all wrong: take a gander at what he's done for the tort industry
Yeah, I can't imagine how much this bill is going to cost us... $2m for implementation, plus god knows how much in litigation costs as it winds it's way through the courts. It's basically an attempt at disenfranchising thousands of students from other states, since you can't even use a federally-issued piece of ID (passport), let alone another state's driver's license.

He was elected on a platform of jobs and turning the state around fiscally. Since then he's turning us into Wississippi.