Quantcast

Gimme some suggestions...

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Ok, so I'm looking for a SS frame with the following charateristics (new or used, doesn't matter):
-Steel tubes
-EBB
-Disc mounts
-Derailleur hanger (I know, blasphemy, whatever)
-24" top tube (or so)
-Well under 500 bucks

Send me links to anything I can actually buy. Thanks!

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
BikeGeek said:
Would you consider sliding vertical dropout instead of EBB for tensioning? The new Inbred from On-One looks nice. Right around $450 if you get her directly from their US distributor (Zedsport).
I'd consider it, but I don't have the scratch for a real single speed rear wheel, so I'm curious whether a skewer would work with horizontal dropouts.

As for the Zion, I have one in my shopping cart right now, with my finger on the "Checkout" button. It says they are sold out of the 21" but it also indicates it is in stock. I suppose I should give them a call.

I'm also waiting for Echo to chime in and tell me he can score me a Kona Unit frame for a screaming deal, and there is a way to run a derailleur on it.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I've heard skewers with horizontal dropouts slip a lot, but I remember seeing tugs sized for a skewer somewhere that should fix it. Having a real ss wheel shouldn't matter with the Inbred. The whole dropout slides to give you your tension.

I've heard good things about the Kona Unit too.

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
ghostrider said:
As for the Zion, I have one in my shopping cart right now, with my finger on the "Checkout" button. It says they are sold out of the 21" but it also indicates it is in stock. I suppose I should give them a call.
Oh man, I just called and they have ONE 21" left. I've got it on hold while I convince my wife I NEED it. I'm worried she's heard the same story too many times before.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
ghostrider said:
Oh man, I just called and they have ONE 21" left. I've got it on hold while I convince my wife I NEED it. I'm worried she's heard the same story too many times before.
LOL...permission vs. forgiveness

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
ghostrider said:

rear tire clearance is minimal on that frame - wish I had seen this thread earlier as I would have seconded BikeGeeks recommendation for the On One Inbred.

the price on the Zion is pretty sweet though.