Quantcast

Ginding rims

MrPrime

Chimp
Jan 5, 2005
Edmonton, AB
aight, i'm getting a new bike this season (05 Evolve, im a noob).

I'v seen alot of people talking about grinding their rims for better grip and all that, how do you guys do it.

Also, i'm going to change out the front disk brake and replace it with a rim brakes (only because i dont wanna worry bout bashing the disk and all that). What brakes should I put on there? Same as rear?

Chutney

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Tacoma, Wa
Don't know what kind of mounts you have on the fork, but if they are v-mounts just stick with a v-brake. Avid sd5 and sd7 are good v brakes for the price. Get a good lever and a booster and you'll be set.

Maguras with the Evo mounts (the ones that allow you to mount them on v-brake bosses) are a huge pain and wont work as well as a good set of V-brakes.

As far as grinding the rim goes, get yourself a cheap angle grinder from home depot or some such ($30 or so I think). Take the tire off (some people do it with the tire still on, but I think that a little worrisome). Hold the grinder perpindicular to the rim and apply a little bit of pressure (or alot if you want a crazy grind) while holding the wheel down with your foot. Then just evenly move around the rim with the grinder.

Afterwards make sure you use a wirebrush to get all the filings off, because if they get lodged in the brake pads it will make them perform a lot worse.

Hope this helps,

Jonathan

MrPrime

Chimp
Jan 5, 2005
Edmonton, AB
ill probally get the avids then. How big a difference will a good lever (what is a good one btw?) help with braking?

and yes, its a V-brakes mount fork.

Chutney

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Tacoma, Wa
Levers kinda depend. XTR seems to be the big winner in the trials world, but I havent tried one. I like my avid sd sl levers. Good quality with half the price of the XTR. I also hear that the avid ultimate is the bee's knee's, but expensive.

The lever makes a pretty big difference. Pay the money at least for the avid SD SL.