Quantcast

Giro Remedy Snow Sports

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
Less vents and the "S" only claims to meet ski/snowboard helmet standards. They are very similar to bike standards, but not quite the same. Mostly they have additional requirements to prevent your helmet being split by the metal edge of skis/boards. There could be some internal changes made to meet the differing standards.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Less vents and the "S" only claims to meet ski/snowboard helmet standards. They are very similar to bike standards, but not quite the same. Mostly they have additional requirements to prevent your helmet being split by the metal edge of skis/boards. There could be some internal changes made to meet the differing standards.
it means didn't have to pay for additional certifications but is the same helmet with filled in holes.

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
You don't have to pay for certifications to begin with. Every helmet company is allowed to self-certify. Filling in holes changes the impact distribution of the shell, so they very likely could have messed with the internals in order to compensate for the stiffer shell.

Again, the standards are very similar, so I wouldn't be too afraid of using it for dual purposes in a pinch.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Did some more searching last night. The Remedy S uses ASTM F2040 and I assume that the Remedy uses ASTM F2043 (although I can't find official confirmation of this).

After comparing my Remedy to a Remedy S I'm pretty sure it won't cause spontaneous combustion if worn on a bike. After all the ASTM spec is for alpine sports.

This specification defines performance requirements for helmets used in nonmotorized recreational snow sports (such as skiing, snowboarding, and other alpine sports).
I can only assume this would include 90's x-games style snow biking.

it means didn't have to pay for additional certifications but is the same helmet with filled in holes.
:stupid: