Quantcast

Gitmo Detention Now Closed

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Spreading teh love/

Former detainees, human-rights advocates and government officials around the world welcomed President Barack Obama's decision to close the Guantanamo Bay detention center, saying Thursday it helped restore their faith in the United States.

The U.N.'s torture investigator, Manfred Nowak, said news that Obama will order the prison closed, review military trials of terror suspects and end harsh interrogations was a sign of goodwill by the new American administration. But he warned that shutting the prison will require difficult decisions and said freed inmates should be allowed to sue the United States if they were mistreated.
It's the American way.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
placating the democratic supporters is all this amounts to.
read his words carefully.
we'll see where this stands a year from now.

if any of them end up confined within the borders of this land, wherever that lies will become the prime Islamic terrorist target.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Put them all on a boat, preferably one made out of a 1951 Chevy pickup truck then mysteriously have it sink, I think Cheney should be the captain.

Problem solved.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
"Where the detainees would be housed if not at Guantanamo has become a point of contention for Obama as he grapples with the already thorny legal issue."

that comment will ultimately determine whether or not the facilty will remain open or closed.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Put them all on a boat, preferably one made out of a 1951 Chevy pickup truck then mysteriously have it sink, I think Cheney should be the captain.

Problem solved.
That's a waste of a perfectly good 51 Chevy truck.

Lashing the inmates together to form a raft is more efficient plus, unlike the Chevy, the buoyancy will improve over time as the corpses become bloated.

This "Freedom Raft" could then be presented to any of the remarkably well-educated, impeccably healthy citizens of Cuba desperately looking for a way off the Isle of Utopia.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It is like the oriental rug shop down the road that has been having a 50% off going out of business sale for the past 9 years.

Edit: Sorry Sanjuro, should that be Asian American Rug shop?
I guess it depends on what they sell and who owns it?

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005

Problem solved.
better yet.........

i say put them all on an old military transport plane who's airframe has no time left on it.
send it off towards the open atlantic w/ minimal fuel.
have the pilot set the auto pilot, then bail out to be picked up by the coast guard.

then.........
"THIS IS A FOX NEWS ALERT.........."

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
It is like the oriental rug shop down the road that has been having a 50% off going out of business sale for the past 9 years.

Edit: Sorry Sanjuro, should that be Asian American Rug shop?
Oriental Rugs are actually Arabic, or as I like to say, the Sand N.......

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
O also signed a decreet to close all of those secret, ex soviet airforce, bases that have been used for torture in places like Chekia, and also the island of Diego Garcia.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Where will college kids go for Spring Break, then?
Sping Break's some serious ****....I wonder if all those kids would have been so eager Obama supporters if they only knew he was such a party pooper. At least GWB is a party guy (I've seen him drunk during his years as a governor).

bzzt. will be closed within a year.
Only the detention part of the base, right? You don't mean that the whole base will be given back to Cuba??

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Only the detention part of the base, right? You don't mean that the whole base will be given back to Cuba??
correct. i don't see any indication that the us will be embarking on a widespread campaign to close overseas bases, for better or worse.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
made for a good photo, made good on campaign promise, however, nothing of substance in regards to where to to put the Level 3s. We may not have a Gitmo detention center in a year but there will be a detention center somewhere. Bigger issue is how to try detainees. Still a lot of legal questions to figure out before this mess left by Cheney is gone.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
upon closer inspection, this is more widely sweeping than originally reported (media's fault - not obama's).

as far as this goes:
and how the United States can make sure prisoners transferred to other countries will not be tortured.
that's a tad unrealistic, and could come at the cost of another country's sovereignty if it's truly to be "made sure". overall i see this as window dressing, but a pretty wise move in the theater of presentation.

the article goes on to tell us about some dude who's in a s.c. prison, and that the cia's prison network is just south of 100.

i did not know that.

all in all, i believe cia & obama will work together to creatively - and legally - interrogate, house, & process our future guests. it's simply amazing to read what's still allowable under the geneva convention. i'd crack like bob barker's hip.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
as far as this goes:that's a tad unrealistic, and could come at the cost of another country's sovereignty if it's truly to be "made sure". overall i see this as window dressing, but a pretty wise move in the theater of presentation.
Just like extradition treaties with countries who won't ship back their [absolute worst] criminals if they face the death penalty. You can't enforce a thing once they're back in the other countries' hands, but you can stop sending more if you know or suspect the opposite end of the line isn't doing what they said they'd do. (Or, in this case, much more likely that we keep shipping them over and remain blissfully ignorant of what happens after they're across the border...)

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
made for a good photo, made good on campaign promise, however, nothing of substance in regards to where to to put the Level 3s. We may not have a Gitmo detention center in a year but there will be a detention center somewhere. Bigger issue is how to try detainees. Still a lot of legal questions to figure out before this mess left by Cheney is gone.
Make them citizens of Texas, show them what the true USA is all about, let them study and give them jobs according to their skills (no raghead discrimination), and you'll see how the US American way of life will change their minds. :twich:

upon closer inspection, this is more widely sweeping than originally reported (media's fault - not obama's).

as far as this goes:that's a tad unrealistic, and could come at the cost of another country's sovereignty if it's truly to be "made sure". overall i see this as window dressing, but a pretty wise move in the theater of presentation.

the article goes on to tell us about some dude who's in a s.c. prison, and that the cia's prison network is just south of 100.

i did not know that.

all in all, i believe cia & obama will work together to creatively - and legally - interrogate, house, & process our future guests. it's simply amazing to read what's still allowable under the geneva convention. i'd crack like bob barker's hip.
I belive that a country that suspects that people they expell will get unfair treatment in the country they come to, then they're not allowed to do so by UN binding rules. A lot of these discussions in Sweden...

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
See, letting them go works out for everyone:

link
Released in November of 2007. So apparently, even using the Bush/Cheney mandate, we weren't able to dig up charges on this guy sufficient to stick. I wonder what his rank, expertise, and experience in Al-Qaeda were before his detainment?

One more nail in the coffin of torture and illegal detainment.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Released in November of 2007. So apparently, even using the Bush/Cheney mandate, we weren't able to dig up charges on this guy sufficient to stick. I wonder what his rank, expertise, and experience in Al-Qaeda were before his detainment?

One more nail in the coffin of torture and illegal detainment.
Charges: maybe, maybe not. Detaining before you have a clear legal course of action in regards to trails vs. tribunals, legal, full definition of war criminal, etc. =stupid.

Rank, status, etc prior? Not relevant anymore is it? What's his rank, status, motivation now? Very relevant.

Ohio, if you'd quit worrying so much about being right, you'd see we agree on this, just stating it a different way.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Charges: maybe, maybe not. Detaining before you have a clear legal course of action in regards to trails vs. tribunals, legal, full definition of war criminal, etc. =stupid.

Rank, status, etc prior? Not relevant anymore is it? What's his rank, status, motivation now? Very relevant.

Ohio, if you'd quit worrying so much about being right, you'd see we agree on this, just stating it a different way.
Charges: if had anything, ANYTHING, dude most assuredly would not have been set free. Why weren't our enhanced techniques sufficient to find anything?

Rank and status is relevent. If we turned a low-ranking grunt into a high-ranking officer by detaining him, that certainly is good reason not to detain those without charges for extended periods. We would be growing hardened terrorists like we do petty drug offenders in domestic prisons. If he started high-ranking, how could we not have charges?

What do we agree on?

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Um, we agree you worry about being right?

We agree that Gitmo detention was a bad idea in the first place.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Um, we agree you worry about being right?

We agree that Gitmo detention was a bad idea in the first place.
My body subsists on correctness. I have no choice.

Yes, we're in agreement. I coulda sworn you were arguing it should stay open and continue to attach prisoners to car batteries.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
See? We do agree. Let me make sure my point is clear. Gitmo detention was a bad idea. If we felt the need to detain terrorism suspects, we needed to have done all the legal legwork first, had a clear plan for investigating and prosecuting suspects and should have at least had multinational support and assistance, since we deemed it a global war on terror (it was cause I have a medal that says I participated in it)

Did terrorism suspects need to be detained? Probably. Tortured, never.

Like Manimal, I went through military SERE school about being captured and a prisoner of war. I can tell you that if it were real and after a long enough time under duress and torture, I probably would have said just about anything to make it stop.

Bottom line is we're stuck with these detainees, since most countries won't take them, we don't have a means to legally try them and if we just turn them loose, it will turn out like the link I posted above, they'll just become more devoted terrorist.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
It's a bit glib to discuss POWs as if they were imprisoned under or by the criminal process.

I'm not saying Gitmo/the POW process was well-handled, mind you, but POWs aren't taken into custody as the result of legal proceedings.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I agree that we can't just open the gates, but holding them without charges is ridiculous. The guy from Canada that has been in solitary in a Navy brig since 2001 is crazy.

Not how we expect our guys to be handled.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
EU: U.S. must show Gitmo prisoners pose no risk
BRUSSELS, Belgium — European Union leaders said Monday they are willing to take prisoners being released from the U.S. detention camp at Guantanamo Bay — but only after detailed screening to ensure they don’t import a terrorist.

Foreign ministers from the 27-member bloc discussed the fate of up to 60 Guantanamo inmates who, if freed, cannot be returned to their homelands because they would face abuse, imprisonment or death. The prisoners come from Azerbaijan, Algeria, Afghanistan, Chad, China, Saudi Arabia and Yemen.
that eu sure is a funny outfit, complete w/ sequins i'm sure