Quantcast

Give Blood.... play footie!

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
aww.. rugby is nasty. i have stomach for ufc and pride, but rugby makes me look away.

i remember a college rugby game here, 2 guys headbutted each other, like ox headbutt each other. awful stuff.
one of them died of that.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Some of those hits were impressive, but only because they werent wearing pads. The biggest hits Ive seen in the NFL make those look pretty regular. Id like to see what would happen if we lined up our NFL guys against some of those jokers for a game though. Itd be nice to see Urlacher or Jerome Bettis or T.O. or Mike Alstott or Michael Strahan or Mike Brown completely destroy those little white boys.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
BurlyShirley said:
Some of those hits were impressive, but only because they werent wearing pads. The biggest hits Ive seen in the NFL make those look pretty regular. Id like to see what would happen if we lined up our NFL guys against some of those jokers for a game though. Itd be nice to see Urlacher or Jerome Bettis or T.O. or Mike Alstott or Michael Strahan or Mike Brown completely destroy those little white boys.
too much faith on those dainese-wearing fatty dudes who play "foot"ball with the hands....
:)

hey, i remember an awesome nfl hit, where a dude came out flying like a ragdoll, doing circles, while horizontal, in the air.. like 5 or 6 years ago..
who was that????

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
ALEXIS_DH said:
too much faith on those dainese-wearing fatty dudes who play "foot"ball with the hands....
:)

hey, i remember an awesome nfl hit, where a dude came out flying like a ragdoll, doing circles, while horizontal, in the air.. like 5 or 6 years ago..
who was that????
I dunno. That happens somewhat often, Im searching right now for a similar montage of carnage to what was posted.
As for the "dianese wearing fatties" man, its just a matter of physics. For instance, Urlacher, who is 6'4", weighs 260lbs and runs a 4.4, 40-yard-dash, its just going to be a massive collision when he hits anything...I dont think "no pads" is really an option with the size/speed of NFL athletes.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just speculating but I'd bet footballers and rugby players hit each other as hard as they can as their armour or lack there of allows. With the lack of protection it seems like mistakes in rugby will creat horrible results.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
There are a large number of rugby players whose size, speed and strength rival that of the NFL players mentioned.

Jonah Lomu was a New Zealand player. 260, 6'3" with sub 11sec speed in the 100m.

Look at the England roster and there are some big boys. Ben Cohen, Martin Johnson, or Lawrence Dallaglio.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
A lot of those were from rugby league. I've got a couple of mates who played league professionally. Very tough sport.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Yeah, got some hits just from this season. Starts out a little slow, sorry for the horrid music.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
One of the few sports I think I could get into and watch and follow. Too bad it's not really played here in America. I was able to catch some while in Ireland since most pubs had a game on. The best was watching the Irish and Austrailan teams play. As the announcers said, "It descended into thuggery." It was waaaay more fun to watch than NFL, and I didn't even understand most of it! As one person explained to me, "It's basically "Smear the Queer", but with rules!". :thumb:

BS, American football players would crumple like paper dolls. Those rugby players are as big as many NFL players.

I've thought of finding a local rugby club here in so cal, but I am worried about getting a beat down and having my ass handed to me as I've never playedthe sport before and I am not very big in stature. Sure looks like fun though!

And Parts, WTF?!?!

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Ciaran said:
BS, American football players would crumple like paper dolls. Those rugby players are as big as many NFL players.
That's as silly as saying there are no Rugby players that could handle the NFL. A guy with the speed, size and strength such as Shawn Alexander would be, with a minimal of instruction, one of the best rugby players in the world. Or a total genetic freak like Julius Peppers. 290lbs, 6'9" and 4.5 speed. Or how about 36 reps with 235lbs on the bench?

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
I love rugby, and I love playing rugby, but I had to quit because I got knocked in the head so many times. It's a brutal sport, but a lot of fun when when you really know what's going on.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
DRB said:
That's as silly as saying there are no Rugby players that could handle the NFL. A guy with the speed, size and strength such as Shawn Alexander would be, with a minimal of instruction, one of the best rugby players in the world. Or a total genetic freak like Julius Peppers. 290lbs, 6'9" and 4.5 speed. Or how about 36 reps with 235lbs on the bench?

Heres why NFL guys could never handle rugby. 2 ,40 minute halves with only two substitutions and a blood sub. That means running for almost 80 mintues straight for most players and no timeouts or more than one substitution based on injury. Its not because NFL players are bigger or faster. The conditioning required is completely different than football.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Dog Welder said:
Heres why NFL guys could never handle rugby. 2 ,40 minute halves with only two substitutions and a blood sub. That means running for almost 80 mintues straight for most players and no timeouts or more than one substitution based on injury. Its not because NFL players are bigger or faster. The conditioning required is completely different than football.
Getting into that kind of shape is not difficult for athletes of NFL caliber.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
ALEXIS_DH said:
wait.. you are stepping now into the "they are not yet, but in a future they could" territory.....
They are pretty much amazing athletes capable of getting into whatever shape they want to is what he's saying.

BurlyShirley said:
I dont think "no pads" is really an option with the size/speed of NFL athletes.
You wouldn't think so, but the trend in the NFL has been fewer pads lately. Almost no one uses kneepads any more, and I havent seen hip or spine pads in years.

Rugby is cool, but I'm a big fan of the forward pass (and therefore the linebacker blitz).

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
ALEXIS_DH said:
wait.. you are stepping now into the "they are not yet, but in a future they could" territory.....
Then the same is true of rugby players. There is no way a rugby player could step on to NFL field and expect to do anything but get killed.

MY POINT is that there are a number of athletes in both sports that could make the crossover.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
BurlyShirley said:
They are pretty much amazing athletes capable of getting into whatever shape they want to is what he's saying.
yeah, but is not honest in a discussion about "what something is" to say.. "with a little bit of this, or that, they could......".

its not about what they "could" be, but about what they "are". because then you could add COULDs to each side, until they are nothing short of achilles and zeus, with the certainty being subjetive.

i mean, once you cross that line... you could argue (with different degrees of certainty of course) "nascar drivers could take down an nfl player IF they put on some muscle, grew 1ft tall, etc...".

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
ALEXIS_DH said:
yeah, but is not honest in a discussion about "what something is" to say.. "with a little bit of this, or that, they could......".

its not about what they "could" be, but about what they "are". because then you could add COULDs to each side, until they are nothing short of achilles and zeus, with the certainty being subjetive.

i mean, once you cross that line... you could argue (with different degrees of certainty of course) "nascar drivers could take down an nfl player IF they put on some muscle, grew 1ft tall, etc...".
But that's just taking things too far. The sports are not that dissimilar that a good enough athlete with minimal training wouldnt have it down pretty well, pretty quickly. I dont doubt that there are rugby players who could play in the NFL.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
ALEXIS_DH said:

That's assine.

But if you want what something is..... football is a much more violent game with a much higher level of ferocity in tackles and hits. The rules of rugby actually lessen the amount of violence in the sport. As for pads, more and more rugby players are resorting to lightweight pads under their jerseys and even soft helmets.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
DRB said:
That's assine.

But if you want what something is..... football is a much more violent game with a much higher level of ferocity in tackles and hits. The rules of rugby actually lessen the amount of violence in the sport. As for pads, more and more rugby players are resorting to lightweight pads under their jerseys and even soft helmets.
thats like saying that boxing sparring (with helmets and the chest thing) is more ferocious (since one guy hits non-stop another with stamina being the limiting factor) than a 20sec ufc fight where only a couple punches are enough.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
ALEXIS_DH said:
thats like saying that boxing sparring (with helmets and the chest thing) is more ferocious (since one guy hits non-stop another with stamina being the limiting factor) than a 20sec ufc fight where only a couple punches are enough.
All I can say is that you must not watch either sport.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Rugby and NFL players would not cross over into the other sport very well, not because of athleticism, but because the two games are very different. The tactics and style of the games are completely different. A Rugby or NFL player could throw, catch, run and kick in the other game, but playing against pros he'd most likely be doing it at the wrong time and to the wrong person. These people are career pros. You can't just improvise that sort of experience.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
DRB said:
You ever seen linemen? They are not exactly there because of their speed and agility.

Dog Welder said it better then I can.

Besides, I am not arguing who would be better. I am merely bashing the NFL. :rofl: