Quantcast

Give your bike chain the shaft!

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
i'm sure in the future we'll see bikes with this.

some are working on using belts to replace chains as well.

I don't like either idea, for now.

I like the simplicty of a chain and a chain tool.

what if you smack the above thing on a log and bend it?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Hard to beat a derailleur/chain setup for efficiency...

Anyone see that Christiani (spelling?) AWD bike? Used a driveshaft for the front wheel...

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
What will I do with my Chainguide and bashring then?
:think:

;)

I think that DW said something about these being very inefficient. Tons of drag.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
ito said:
How about a hydraulic driven drivetrain?
I only read a couple Pinkbike threads a month. Every time I read one, I'm reminded of why I'm of the opinion that the Pinkbike forums are a huge steaming pile. :rolleyes:

Seriously, one of the last posts in the thread was a guy that said, "I don't want to read the post, can someone summarize it in two sentences?" :rolleyes:

Anyhow, sounds like the guy is involved in a cool project...

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
binary visions said:
I only read a couple Pinkbike threads a month. Every time I read one, I'm reminded of why I'm of the opinion that the Pinkbike forums are a huge steaming pile. :rolleyes:

Seriously, one of the last posts in the thread was a guy that said, "I don't want to read the post, can someone summarize it in two sentences?" :rolleyes:

Anyhow, sounds like the guy is involved in a cool project...
I've gotta agree. I almost never make my way over to PinkBike, and on the few occasions I have, I've been thouroughly disappointed. However, this post is definately worth the read if you're at all curious about alternatives to the simple chain and derailleur setup. I've been working on ideas for several years and am always interested in seeing/reading what others are doing. I say more power to them. This chain has got to go. I wish this guy the best.

As for drive shafts, I've been trying on those too. I wish someone would make something reliable that we could put on a 'real' bike. I would gladly test it.

One of these days, someone will make a reliable, efficient, lightweight system for the bicycle to replace the chain, and we will all wonder why we never thought of that. I hope that day comes soon, as I don't want to be too old to enjoy it.

KaTooMer

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Illinois
binary visions said:
Chain yes, derailleur no. There's got to be a better way than forcing a chain to jump to a different sprocket in order to shift into a different gear. And that rear derailleur just hanging down there waiting to get bashed...ughh. Except if we must have 27 different gears, I suppose that's the way to do it.

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
different shack, same shotgun
binary visions said:

Anyone see that Christiani (spelling?) AWD bike? Used a driveshaft for the front wheel...
I believe I did see one of those out a the old pueblo race last year....the front drive shaft had exposed bevel gears tho...looked kinda crude. (but a cool Idea nonetheless.)

I'm still pondering my "shift by thought" system. (amplified brain waves trigger an electronic derailleur.)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Those designs have been around since the 19th century. It's more of the past than the future.

Personally, I'd have problems with torque lash...Brian Lopes' thighs got nothing on my powerhouse quads. (No, really, they're just concentrated power; that's why they're so skinny...)