Quantcast

Glüten tåg

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
XC/trail bike.....no inserts or cushcore xc or similar? Seems like a decent weight/protection trade-off, for a fatass...err....clysdale such as myself.

Wheels are built and awaiting final tension/truing in the next few days, then tires are going on. Debating which way to go.... hoping to finish the bike up asap so I can just sit and look at it until there's no/minimal snow. Wheels/tires and brake bleeds are the only things left.
just get doubledown and save yourself weight and hassle

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
XC/trail bike.....no inserts or cushcore xc or similar? Seems like a decent weight/protection trade-off, for a fatass...err....clydesdale such as myself.

Wheels are built and awaiting final tension/truing in the next few days, then tires are going on. Debating which way to go.... hoping to finish the bike up asap so I can just sit and look at it until there's no/minimal snow. Wheels/tires and brake bleeds are the only things left.
Minion DHF/DHR2 in a 2.3 Exo, no inserts. Ultimate trail tire Imho, last a long time, rolls relatively fast, grips everywhere, rarely get noticeable punctures riding mostly rocks and cactus. Only been running this combo since 2003, but so far so good.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I run Exo+ front, DD rear, cushcore in rear.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
A maxxis tire has not touched one of my bikes in about 15yrs and I'd like to keep it that way
I wouldn’t mind not running Maxxis but the Ass Guy is the best front tyre atm. I wish the Pirellis were as good because I like the logo better. #shallow

Edit: Just checked; Exo on the front, Exo+ on the rear w. cush.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
internesting...that's quite an out of the way little spot, eh? i'll only go if he agrees to play "slack motherfucker" as aggressively as possible.
i skipped seeing dead meadow there a couple years back...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I too am a clyde. I too run a "lightly reinforced" tire with an insert (Tannus Tubeless). I had been running 2.3 DHR2 DD just fine and wanted to loose some weight. I ran 2.4 EXO+ (last year's version, with the 120tpi casing). Kept puncturing at the knobs from sharp rocks. So I looked for an equivalent tire, but with 60tpi casing.

I found the Specialized Butcher in 2.35, Grid Trail. It seems to hold up quite well. If you want to avoid Maxxis (for whatever reason), you might want to give those a try.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Minion DHF/DHR2 in a 2.3 Exo, no inserts. Ultimate trail tire Imho, last a long time, rolls relatively fast, grips everywhere, rarely get noticeable punctures riding mostly rocks and cactus. Only been running this combo since 2003, but so far so good.
how much do you weigh

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
We're talking XC/trail here, no need for double down casing IME, when it's time for 2.5s then it's time for DDs.

225ish, ride with a few guys decently faster than me and heavier, nobody really has issues with Exos for normal trail riding.
fair enough. my local trails (xc / light trail) i can get away with EXO stuff, but i still use inserts (rimpact) to prevent the tires from rolling in hard turns. i'm about the same weight geared up.