Quantcast

Glasses make you 99.99987% faster!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I'd guess going blind.....
unless they are using a laser from a James Bond movie, then your eye can be reshaped if you doctor isnt a complete buffoon.

my mother had RK surgery over 15 years ago, which was a lot more "dangerous" than the current Lasik lasers. thankfully no one really uses RK surgery anymore

before i got Lasik surgery, i couldnt make out a face 5' from me. now i have 20/20 and close to 20/15

i guess my experience differs. the majority of ophthomologists (MDs) i've encountered would not have their vision laser corrected. that is not to say that laser correction procedures are unsafe. i agree that by percentages, laser correction procedures are very low risk. nevertheless, there is a risk for every procedure and for many i've spoken to, personally, they feel that the benefits doesn't sufficiently outweigh the risks.

risks of laser correction? (probably in order of decr frequency/ incr severity)
dry eyes (permanent in some folks)
night vision impairment
need for repeat treatment (even in folks who have had "stable" vision for years)
need for glasses (may not eliminate need for glasses for reading)
corneal injury
glaucoma
retinal injury

for me, as much as it is a pain in the ass to put on contacts, and re-wet them during a day of downhilling. As far as a risk/benefit analysis for me personally, it doesn't push me to want to have laser correction.

some folks may feel the opposite, in which case, they have the option of getting laser correction. and those who have had great results from laser correction can't be ignored, but it is no where near the "best thing since sliced bread" as some would lead you to believe.

*legal disclaimer*
i'm not an ophthomologist and the above are just personal opinions/anecdotal references.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
and those who have had great results from laser correction can't be ignored, but it is no where near the "best thing since sliced bread" as some would lead you to believe.
how would you know if you havent had it done? every single person that i know who has had it, has said its the "best thing since sliced bread" or it is the "bee knees"

dhbrigade

Chimp
Feb 21, 2006
Would not recommend wearing glasses with a full face helmet.

Some years ago I had a massive impact during practice wearing glasses and a full face helmet. The helmet pressed the glasses sideways and the frame smashed my nasal bone.

Was very tight to be back from hospital to reach my qualification run. :D

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I choose not to do Lasik for a few of the same reasons. I've met eye doctors who haven't had it done and they know way more about the procedure, see the results, know the patients and their long term profiles. And yet still avoid it themselves. If it was 100% guaranteed, I'd be all about it.

But it's a corrective surgery that isn't like a root canal or ACL repair. You can't strap a brace on an ACL and have a perfectly working knee again. But with contacts, I can slap them in and get 20/20 in 10 seconds flat.

I've had lots of surgery on different parts of my body and none of them are without "limitations" b/c my body is not what it was after. And with all those surgeries, the doctor will tell you it's not 100% guaranteed your body will stay good as new. They tell you that you may have issues in the future, whether it's being uncomfortable or limited range of movement, sensitivities, weaknesses, etc.

I've not met many people who've had Lasik, but of them, 3 have had to have it re-done. That is not a good sample. And while my vision is terrible, I've had contacts since 1987, and they only get better it seems. Scared as heck that in another 30 years, all those people with laser cut eyes will find out there are long term side effects.

Doctors can tell you what happens to a tooth, a knee, or a shoulder 30 years after surgery, because they've seen it all happen in real time. NOBODY can tell you what a lasik eyeball will be like in 30 years.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
obviously no one has 30 year of experience with Lasik since it has only been in practice for 21 years.
Lasik is just reshaping your eye to correct for it being out of shape (which causes your near sightedness or far sightedness or astigmatism.) people will still need reading glasses when they get older since that is a side effect of your eyes getting weaker with age.

I've had lots of surgery on different parts of my body and none of them are without "limitations" b/c my body is not what it was after. And with all those surgeries, the doctor will tell you it's not 100% guaranteed your body will stay good as new. They tell you that you may have issues in the future, whether it's being uncomfortable or limited range of movement, sensitivities, weaknesses, etc.
and so how is that different from Lasik then?

Last edited:
without getting technical, if you have a complication with the eye, it's not as resilient (doesn't heal/heal well) and it's even harder to correct that complication with any significant success.

this is alittle different with say abdominal or knee surgery. if there is a complication with regards to your acl or intestines, they can be fixed/revised back to some reasonable function. this isn't so much with the eye, which if you think about it, is essentially neural tissue. and like most neural tissue, once damaged, it doesn't regenerate. i can live with a gimp leg or have a temporary colostomy (poop bag) but to be blind in both eyes or even just one eye, to me, has a much greater impact on my quality of life than the former.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
lol@ the lasik fear

If it's good enough for navy SEALs/divers it's good enough for me. PRK has been around for even longer than lasik and the process has come a long way. My dad had it done, he was nearly blind then and still has some issues now, but I don't think for a second he would go back to his coke bottles.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
My dad had it done, he was nearly blind then and still has some issues now, but I don't think for a second he would go back to his coke bottles.
i was damn close to being blind too and cant even imagine my life without having the Lasik done.
im sure my vision would have gotten worse as i got older, so i cant even imagine how bad it would have been if i didnt have it done.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
i'm with sandwich... had lasik done and my wife has had it done. the lasik of today is completely different than what they did even two years ago. the current "wavefront" machines actually are a self-correcting laser that adjusts as your eye adjusts during the procedure. its pretty amazing. we are both still seeing 20/15 and I would recommend it to anyone. ITS THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
lol, that is kind of funny.

When my pops had it done, it was still a relatively new process...in fact, he had it done in canada. I think his eyesight was in the realm of 20/4000 or 20/400, basically without glasses he couldn't see. He has had some issues, ones that could be corrected with a re-do and modern technology, but it's apparently not bad enough to worry about.

I'm giving some thought to doing it for myself. My eyesight isn't terrible but the thought of being able to see all the time is really motivating.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
without getting technical, if you have a complication with the eye, it's not as resilient (doesn't heal/heal well) and it's even harder to correct that complication with any significant success.

this is alittle different with say abdominal or knee surgery. if there is a complication with regards to your acl or intestines, they can be fixed/revised back to some reasonable function. this isn't so much with the eye, which if you think about it, is essentially neural tissue. and like most neural tissue, once damaged, it doesn't regenerate. i can live with a gimp leg or have a temporary colostomy (poop bag) but to be blind in both eyes or even just one eye, to me, has a much greater impact on my quality of life than the former.
ditto

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
In my wife's case, they actually do. She had glasses that her eye doc prescribed her for driving at night/reading or something like that. She tried wearing them under her goggles while riding once and BAM, she started ripping that very run.

So- what do all you glasses wearing people do? Get contacts? Stuff em under your goggles? get prescription goggles?

Also thinking she'll probably want them for trail rides too- are there prescription riding glasses out there or are contacts the way to go?
Ive had glasses my hole life,everytime I go to bromont or did,I was probably the only one with glasses under my helmet and goggles,if they fit why not.

Sometimes I had to take em off goggles,too much condensation on the lens from sweat and heat foggin up my glasses not the goggles...

This year If all goes well I might considre contacts...

Last edited:

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
wtf? when you were like 20? your eyes were done changing? You are full of lies you hateful bastard.
brother,I could have had lasik at 15 if I wanted,I find glasses suit me,plus its a automatic in with the girls with glasses...and it 100% makes you diff from all the others dudes,but its becoming a huge fad I've noticed.

Glasses however suck,they cost me way to much,I've spent roughly 800 on glasses this year,and I might get a next pair cause im too ocd.....

I would look retarded without glasses.....its a viscious circle

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
brother,I could have had lasik at 15 if I wanted,I find glasses suit me,plus its a automatic in with the girls with glasses...and it 100% makes you diff from all the others dudes,but its becoming a huge fad I've noticed.
you cannot have Lasik at 15. your eyes are far from being fully developed.

and your second comment has got to the be the dumbest thing ive heard all day