Quantcast

glasses

Jul 19, 2004
Jax
Well it's sad but true I need to get glasses. Does anyone know of any glasses that can hold up the abuse of riding, contacts are out of the question because they just cost to damn much so I am stuck with glasses.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Smith Optics does prescription glasses in a bunch of different styles. I'd be curious to hear of others as I am on the verge of needing some as well.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
i ride in just a normal pair of glasses i've had for 3 years. they had to be soldered back together last month though....

maybe look into that laser surgery. i am

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
If you have eye coverage (insurance), contacts are typically covered along with your glasses.

If you are young, you may be covered by your parents. Look in to it.

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
how much do contacts cost? b/c my glasses cost me almost $300, so I don't see how contacts can cost more than that. Titanium glasses are the way to go.

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
actually scratch that. titanium is nice, but there is something better..

Ask for those flexible glasses frames. This kid at my summer camp had them one year, and he could literally twist them like a pretzel and they wouldn't snap. It was the craziest **** I've ever seen (glasses wise). Anyways just ask ur optomitrist about them, they'll know what you're talking about.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
fuzzynutz said:
actually scratch that. titanium is nice, but there is something better..

Ask for those flexible glasses frames. This kid at my summer camp had them one year, and he could literally twist them like a pretzel and they wouldn't snap. It was the craziest **** I've ever seen (glasses wise). Anyways just ask ur optomitrist about them, they'll know what you're talking about.
The brand name for those frames are calle Flexon. I have a pair. They cost entirely TOO much to be bashing around on a bike. I got em for the weight - super light and flexy (I guess this is one instance where flexy is good :D).
Contacts, I use those too (AccuView 2) and love 'em for all the sports activities - biking, hiking, camping, skiing, and even swimming (you'll have to squint a bit so they don't float out). Do NOT skimp here if you go contacts. The grade of plastics used in the lense makes a HUGE difference on comfort when used in duration (full day). You can hit 1-800-Contacts for the best $$ on them. I think for a box of 8, 3 paris per box for a total of 24 pairs I paid in the area of $180.00. That's a one year supply. You're supposed to dispose of them 2 weeks after opening regardless of use, but I've been bleeding 3 weeks out of them before they start feeling like crap.
Lastly, don't mean to sound preachy here but Do goto your yearly exams when your eyes start to deteriorate, even if you have to pay out of pocket. Chk w/ your eye doc on diet as well as I've personally noticed a fluctuation in vision pending my eating habits and vitamines.

Jul 19, 2004
Jax
thanks for the input everyone i got a pair of oakleys with polycarbinate lenses so i can smash um with a hammer and oakley for the warrenty cost me 160 thanks to insurance.