Quantcast

Global Warming my a$$....

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
syadasti said:
Chag only mentioned one sampling site as evidence which doesn't really prove his point.

You'd see a more valid pattern if it was a review study looking at cores from both Northern and Southern sites ice cores, tree ring sampling, marine sediments, fossils, and other CO2 indicators.
Do you doubt that we are experiencing the highest levels of CO2 then?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
The Gawd Warriors are here!

Evangelical Leaders Join Global Warming Initiative
NYTimes.com | February 8, 2006 | LAURIE GOODSTEIN

Despite opposition from some of their colleagues, 86 evangelical Christian leaders have decided to back a major initiative to fight global warming, saying "millions of people could die in this century because of climate change, most of them our poorest global neighbors."

Among signers of the statement, which will be released in Washington on Wednesday, are the presidents of 39 evangelical colleges, leaders of aid groups and churches, like the Salvation Army, and pastors of megachurches, including Rick Warren, author of the best seller "The Purpose-Driven Life."

"For most of us, until recently this has not been treated as a pressing issue or major priority," the statement said. "Indeed, many of us have required considerable convincing before becoming persuaded that climate change is a real problem and that it ought to matter to us as Christians. But now we have seen and heard enough."

The statement calls for federal legislation that would require reductions in carbon dioxide emissions through "cost-effective, market-based mechanisms" — a phrase lifted from a Senate resolution last year and one that could appeal to evangelicals, who tend to be pro-business. The statement, to be announced in Washington, is only the first stage of an "Evangelical Climate Initiative" including television and radio spots in states with influential legislators, informational campaigns in churches, and educational events at Christian colleges.

"We have not paid as much attention to climate change as we should, and that's why I'm willing to step up," said Duane Litfin, president of Wheaton College, an influential evangelical institution in Illinois. "The evangelical community is quite capable of having some blind spots, and my take is this has fallen into that category."

Some of the nation's most high-profile evangelical leaders, however, have tried to derail such action. Twenty-two of them signed a letter in January declaring, "Global warming is not a consensus issue." Among the signers were Charles W. Colson, the founder of Prison Fellowship Ministries; James C. Dobson, founder of Focus on the Family; and Richard Land, president of the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention.

Their letter was addressed to the National Association of Evangelicals, an umbrella group of churches and ministries, which last year had started to move in the direction of taking a stand on global warming. The letter from the 22 leaders asked the National Association of Evangelicals not to issue any statement on global warming or to allow its officers or staff members to take a position.

E. Calvin Beisner, associate professor of historical theology at Knox Theological Seminary in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., helped organize the opposition into a group called the Interfaith Stewardship Alliance. He said Tuesday that "the science is not settled" on whether global warming was actually a problem or even that human beings were causing it. And he said that the solutions advocated by global warming opponents would only cause the cost of energy to rise, with the burden falling most heavily on the poor.

In response to the critics, the president of the National Association of Evangelicals, the Rev. Ted Haggard, did not join the 86 leaders in the statement on global warming, even though he had been in the forefront of the issue a year ago. Neither did the Rev. Richard Cizik, the National Association's Washington lobbyist, even though he helped persuade other leaders to sign the global warming initiative.

On Tuesday, Mr. Haggard, the pastor of New Life Church in Colorado Springs, said in a telephone interview that he did not sign because it would be interpreted as an endorsement by the entire National Association of Evangelicals. But he said that speaking just for himself, "There is no doubt about it in my mind that climate change is happening, and there is no doubt about it that it would be wise for us to stop doing the foolish things we're doing that could potentially be causing this. In my mind there is no downside to being cautious."

Of those who did sign, said the Rev. Jim Ball, executive director of the Evangelical Environmental Network: "It's a very centrist evangelical list, and that was intentional. When people look at the names, they're going to say, this is a real solid group here. These leaders are not flighty, going after the latest cause. And they know they're probably going to take a little flak."

The list includes prominent black leaders like Bishop Charles E. Blake Sr. of the West Angeles Church of God in Christ in Los Angeles, the Rev. Floyd Flake of the Greater Allen A.M.E. Cathedral in New York City, and Bishop Wellington Boone of the Father's House and Wellington Boone Ministries in Norcross, Ga.; as well as Hispanic leaders like the Rev. Jesse Miranda, president of AMEN in Costa Mesa, Calif.

The evangelical leaders are meeting Wednesday with senators or their staff members concerned with legislation on energy and the environment. Their letter commends senators who last year passed a resolution by Senators Pete V. Domenici, a Republican, and Jeff Bingaman, a Democrat, both of New Mexico, which called for regulatory measures like a cap and trade program, a system in which industries would buy or trade permits to emit greenhouse gases.

In their statement, the evangelicals praised companies like BP, Shell, General Electric, Cinergy, Duke Energy and DuPont that it said "have moved ahead of the pace of government action through innovative measures" to reduce emissions.

The television spot links images of drought, starvation and Hurricane Katrina to global warming. In it, the Rev. Joel Hunter, pastor of a megachurch in Longwood, Fla., says: "As Christians, our faith in Jesus Christ compels us to love our neighbors and to be stewards of God's creation. The good news is that with God's help, we can stop global warming, for our kids, our world and for the Lord."

The advertisements are to be shown in Arkansas, Florida, Kansas, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee and Virginia.

The Evangelical Climate Initiative, at a cost of several hundred thousand dollars, is being supported by individuals and foundations, including the Pew Charitable Trusts, the Hewlett Foundation and the Rockefeller Brothers Foundation.

The initiative is one indication of a growing urgency about climate change among religious groups, said Paul Gorman, executive director of the National Religious Partnership for the Environment, a clearinghouse in Amherst, Mass., for environmental initiatives by religious groups.

Interfaith climate campaigns in 15 states are pressing for regional standards to reduce greenhouse gases, Mr. Gorman said. Jewish, Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox leaders also have campaigns under way.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Old Man G Funk said:
Do you doubt that we are experiencing the highest levels of CO2 then?
I wasn't challenging global warming, I was challenging his single source of evidence. You can't tell a global trend from one sample source in Antarctica.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
syadasti said:
I wasn't challenging global warming, I was challenging his single source of evidence. You can't tell a global trend from one sample source in Antarctica.
Well, I'll verify that his source is verified through independent lines of testing.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Old Man G Funk said:
Well, I'll verify that his source is verified through independent lines of testing.
Man you are as dense as those ice cores :D

Its invalid to present one localized sampling site as evidence for a global trend.

You need a selection of CO2 indicators from sites all around the globe.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
syadasti said:
Man you are as dense as those ice cores :D

Its invalid to present one localized sampling site as evidence for a global trend.

You need a selection of CO2 indicators from sites all around the globe.
And I'm saying that there is a large selection of sites and they correlate quite well. The ice core readings are simply the most accurate and detailed we have.

I really don't understand your argument here. If you really think that scientists are basing everything off of one core sample, then why aren't you skeptical of global warming?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Old Man G Funk said:
And I'm saying that there is a large selection of sites and they correlate quite well. The ice core readings are simply the most accurate and detailed we have.

I really don't understand your argument here. If you really think that scientists are basing everything off of one core sample, then why aren't you skeptical of global warming?
I am talking about Chang's evidence. I've never said that scientists are basing everything off one core sample, a single sampling site, or that the site's data validity...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Old Man G Funk said:

God will provide a way.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
syadasti said:
I am talking about Chang's evidence. I've never said that scientists are basing everything off one core sample or a single sampling site...
So, you have a problem with Chang giving a paper as evidence that is representative of the consensus?

Whenever he answers someone, is he supposed to bring up 10 different papers from 10 different authors using multiple sources each that all correlate to some percentage agreement so that you don't criticize him for showing the consensus position without actually physically demonstrating it?

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
The Amish said:
Heres your explanation, nothins constant. for all we know the worlds been 30% cooler than its supposed to be since people started keepin track and were just getting back to normal. Maybe the suns burning hotter than it used too, or just maybe you ate one to many twinkies and threw off the balance of everything. Only fools believe the worlds static
LOL that wins the dumb post of the day award!

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
syadasti said:
I was talking about the trend of CO2 (highest in 420kyr), not the volcano myth.
Ruh rho, commander Ipod is a scientist now. Tie down the children.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Old Man G Funk said:
Whenever he answers someone, is he supposed to bring up 10 different papers from 10 different authors using multiple sources each that all correlate to some percentage agreement so that you don't criticize him for showing the consensus position without actually physically demonstrating it?
There are review studies available on most topics (especially global warming). Giving a specific study isn't very convincing to show a trend - it could be an outlier for all we know.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
syadasti said:
There are review studies available on most topics (especially global warming). Giving a specific study isn't very convincing to show a trend - it could be an outlier for all we know.
True, it could be an outlier, but it isn't in this case. When the consensus is so well established, it's pretty easy to tell the difference.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Old Man G Funk said:
True, it could be an outlier, but it isn't in this case. When the consensus is so well established, it's pretty easy to tell the difference.
I'm not doubting global warming, just Chang's grasp of solid evidence. You can't present convincing argument with a single study in any topic no matter how well proven elsewhere.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Old Man G Funk said:
You are splitting hairs here.
So I guess you believe Chang's loony 9-11 conspiracies theories too, there is a few crackpot reviews of the evidence that says so :p

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
syadasti said:
So I guess you believe Chang's loony 9-11 conspiracies theories too, there is a few crackpot reviews of the evidence that says so :p
No, but those are two separate cases. In the case of global warming, the scientific consensus is squarely on Chang's side.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Old Man G Funk said:
No, but those are two separate cases. In the case of global warming, the scientific consensus is squarely on Chang's side.
Right. A single study by itself is weak . A review study of global warming would show generally accepted trends and ideas.

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
syadasti said:
Right. A single study by itself is weak . A review study of global warming would show generally accepted trends and ideas.
What you are failing to consider, however, is that the single study is not only indicative and confirming of the overall consensus, but also built upon the other studies and additive.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Old Man G Funk said:
What you are failing to consider, however, is that the single study is not only indicative and confirming of the overall consensus, but also built upon the other studies and additive.
I never said that it wasn't. I'm not trying to argue that global warming isn't the generally accepted consensus.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
I don't purport to understand any of it, but saying that global warming is a myth or that there isn't enough evidence to support the theory is, in my opinion, irresponsible.

Look for another global warming related story from Sara Goudarzi on National Geographic News today or tomorrow. The embargo lifts on the study today.

Hi Josh. Been too busy to get back to you. Happy New Year.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Ant you know me and I've never refuted global warming and wasn't trying to.

I was simply saying stating that a specific study of ice cores from one area in Antarctica won't give an accurate global picture. They could show the problem to be better or worse than it really is - you need to look at review studies to see the global picture. Thats all my point was.

I am sure Sara's work is based on look at patterns rather than a specific localized study.

So when are you going to be around again? You can borrow a bike if you want.