Quantcast

Global [whatever] day...

Today was declared Global Fatbike Day by whatever marketing wonk wanted to sell, sell, sell.

Tammy and I wanted to take a ride and the weather and trail conditions, and what we wanted to do, didn't exactly scream for fat tires, so out came the dualies and off we went for a very enjoyable day.

This makes my Moonlander or Tammy's Grosbig no less fun, but fuck marketing ploys of whatever flavor.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
What are "dualies" in this setting?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Today was declared Global Fatbike Day by whatever marketing wonk wanted to sell, sell, sell.

Tammy and I wanted to take a ride and the weather and trail conditions, and what we wanted to do, didn't exactly scream for fat tires, so out came the dualies and off we went for a very enjoyable day.

This makes my Moonlander or Tammy's Grosbig no less fun, but fuck marketing ploys of whatever flavor.
I just bought a fat bike.

I rode my normal bike yesterday. Best December riding we've had here in our area in a while. Kinda looking forward to some snow so I can try this fat bike out though.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Cool! Remember that you don't need snow to enjoy it!
I've ridden it about 50 miles or so. I like riding it at night, regardless of conditions, overall I still prefer my normal bike. It's fun on flowy trails, but not so much fun on rooty trails. Looking forward to trying it in the snow.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I bought a specialized fatboy SE. I know, the dreaded S. It ticked the important boxes for me though. Warranty, Solid Frame, Comfortable Geo for me (i actually just got on it and rode and don't intend on making any cockpit changes), wide tires @ 4.6 (bike is primarily a snow bike for me) and I ended up getting a fairly solid deal (black friday sale picked up some guide RSC's and a few other things and was out the door just over my $1000 budget (I think $1500 by the time it was all said and done). I spent a little more than the wife had budgeted for me, but every used fatbike I saw in my price range still needed at least (in my opinion) $200 worth of something to make it work for me (bars, stem and tires for snow being the biggies on most bikes). With the Fatboy I swapped on some Zee's I had, swapped on a new derailuer and shifter, and will get rid of the 2x up front once I get past christmas. I'd like to upgrade the hubs at some point in the future and possibly the crankset, but for now it's doing the trick and has been pretty fun.

I really enjoy it at night when I am out just cruising around on the trails. It's super fun in the flowy stuff where you can take advantage of the traction and rail corners. It's a bit bouncy in the rough stuff at speed, climbs like a goat, and I expect it should be much better than a normal bike in the snow, many of our trails get groomed for fatbikes, so I look forward to that as my skinny tired bike just wasn't any fun.