Quantcast

Glory 2010 & Angleset

Sigmound

Chimp
Jul 29, 2011
I'v got a 2010 01 Glory (L). I recently had a CC Angleset installed to slacken out the headangle. However when I measured my headangle with a 1 degree insert it is steeper than my mates Glory (same frame but medium).

I am running a Boxxer Team, RC4. He is running 40s and RC4. According to the AngleMeter App his bike is runnign at 65 degree's and mine is 66-67. If anything it should be the opposite as his bike has the standard FSA headset.

Both bikes were measured on the same ground and have equal tire wear. I have the crowns up to the limit on the Boxxer.

I am wondering if the CC is possibly in wrong? On the bottom of the headset I have the cup with the 'narrow' bit to the front and the 'wide' bit to the rear, which seems logical, but maybe something else is wrong?

This is bugging me as I'm on a biking holiday and the angleset was meant to improve things not make it harder.

Any ideas?

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK
Sounds like the Angleset is installed correctly. Just as a check, can you measure the axle-to-crown lengths for the forks? (i.e. length of fork from bottom of the headset cup to the centre of the axle).

66-67deg sounds very steep for a glory...

Also what's the stack height for the lower cup of the FSA headset compared to the Angleset?

Sigmound

Chimp
Jul 29, 2011
Thanks for the reply.

My axle-crown length is 57cm v 61cm for his.

My BB is sitting at 36cm v 38cm for his.

There doesn't appear to be any major difference in stack heights.

I haven't done any real setting up of my own with the rear shock. It was put on the bike at the same time as the CCA (Angleset). I will check it's settings/sag and see if there is some element of the cause there.

Asides from the non-concentrical cup, which goes at the bottom of the headset in the Glory, is there anyway the CCA could be in wrong?

It's a tapered headset, so the top 'bits' are in the top and vice versa.

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
Have you made multiple measurements? iPhone angle measurement can not be super accurate, so if you made the measurements only once, I would not trust it.
If multiple measurements show similar results consistently, then there is some credibility.

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
Oh, and did you put the iPhone on flat surface on the forks? For example a Boxxer has that bulge for bushings, if you put the phone on that it may not be parallel with the steering tube.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
My axle-crown length is 57cm v 61cm for his.

My BB is sitting at 36cm v 38cm for his.
There seems to be the reason. If you consider that the angle changes about 1 degree per cm of axle-crown height, the difference is believable. (3 degrees by 4 cm difference in axle to crown height)

But I wouldn't trust an iPhone App as measurment.

If I remember right, the Glory has 65,5° HA.

Sigmound

Chimp
Jul 29, 2011
I didn't measure it beforehand.

And yeah, your'e right the Iphone measurements are not probably absolute figures, but for the purposes of comparison they are useful. As in if there were to be any difference b/w my Glory's HA and my mate's Glory's HA mine should measure as equal or slacker. However it is steeper.

I took multiple measurements, with the bikes on the exact same surface. While there may have been some variation the key issue is that my bike is steeper than a stock Glory despite having a 1 degree slackening cup installed.

@ Monarch: When you say there is the reason, is there something I can do to alter this?

I am going to put in a 1.5 degree cup in a few hours, that should give me some indication of where the problem lies....

Any other ideas welcome, thanks.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Do you have a tall crown for your boxxer? If that's the case you should be able to raise the axle to crown height a bit. in combination with the -1,5° cup you should have some good results.
If you look for another solution, you can put offset shock bushings on your ride. A slacker ride and a lower bb will be the result.

(I know you go on a trip soon...)

Carnaza

Monkey
Aug 10, 2006
Santiago, Chile
There seems to be the reason. If you consider that the angle changes about 1 degree per cm of axle-crown height, the difference is believable. (3 degrees by 4 cm difference in axle to crown height)

But I wouldn't trust an iPhone App as measurment.

If I remember right, the Glory has 65,5° HA.
Yeah I second this..... That difference in the axle/lower crown distance is quite important.... I'd try to slide down the stanchions and measure again....

You may post some pictures of both setups, that way we can help you more maybe....

Sigmound

Chimp
Jul 29, 2011
I have the Angleset in correctly, I just put in the 1.5 cup and it's now closer to 66.0.

Minion DHF 2.5's on mine and High Roller 2.5's on his, tread depth is within 1mm or so.