Quantcast

Glove Recommendations?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Gotta pick yer brains a little more folks....

Road gloves...

Gel? No Gel? LG? PI? ??? Which ones do you guys like/use?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
All I know is mine are Specialized half finger, got them cheap. They have a little pad in the thumb palm area and then on the pinky side palm area. SUPER comfortable.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
And yes...I did a search. Gloves are like shoes for me comfort and fit wise (I have pretty big hands), so I'll buy them locally as opposed to online. Just wanted to know what you expierenced roadies liked and thought were the most comfy. Thanks (as always) for the input! :)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I use whatever. But some Specialized gloves use a no velcro strap system, which I hate.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
sanjuro said:
I use whatever. But some Specialized gloves use a no velcro strap system, which I hate.
So how do they are like socks, just pull on? Mine have velcro for sure.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
I like Pearl Izumi gels because they cover my wrist. I hate the feeling of gloves that don't. (plus it offers some crash protection)

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
I was wearing completely unpadded gloves. I've switched over to the Big-S pro road gloves. Nice pull on, no velcro. No padding really other than the BG padding for the ulnar nerve which i never notice and does seem to help with your hand going numb on long ass rides.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Heidi said:
yea that have some that go on without any kind of strap. I like them but i wear out those gloves in like a month. the bike shop kept replacing them but asked me to pick another kind.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Heidi said:
That's right, and it was hard to get my hands into them. I know some weight weenies recommend cutting the straps off to save .5 grams, but I hate that design.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I've got some Louis Garneau half fingered with some padding = very nice and comfy - so much so that I've been using them off road as well on my rigid Karate Monkey. However I sweat like a mofo and sometimes my grips get pretty slippery without the full fingers to soak up the sweat.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Thanks all! I picked up some of these the other day. I thought they felt a little better than the gels. We'll see....

Spec. BG Comp

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
Over the weekend, I re-wrapped my bars with some Specialized BG gel. (basically, you tape the gel onto the top of the bars and the drops, then wrap over the stuff.)

This stuff's great! No more numb hands, even for 3+ hour rides. It was $35 (ouch), but worth every penny considering the nerve damage I'm probably avoiding. (I used to have huge trouble with hand numbness, even for hours after a ride)