Quantcast

Gloveless You Say? kidwoo's Guide To Bltchin' Grips

bholwell

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Somebody's never had a cup full of gravel scrubbed out of the palm of their hand.

Seriously, no gloves, must be inbred.
I scrubbed gravel out of my hand last night. And out of my arm. And out of my hip.

I'm still not going to wear gloves on my road bike, though. First crash in 10 years, I figure I'm still ahead of the curve.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
just jb weld that sh*t on and call it a day
That's what I do. It does mean I have to buy a new bar every time my grips wear out, but it's no big deal because I can always cut the bar off at the inside of the grips and sell it to some hipster with a fixie.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
On an impulse(or maybe I was high on grip glue) I ordered a pair of the Sensus lock-ons.
The extra rubber at the end of the grip covers a bit more of the lock on clamp and scares me less. I haven't cut myself on them yet(wood, knocked)
I totally dig 'em, thin, etc. They break in well too, but i do miss the vibration damping of a standard grip.
I'm going to order up another set of the lock-ons and a set of the slide-ons soon.
They're certainly good enough and I really like the idea of helping gnarly pro bike riders make a living- something to consider. Every time you buy a pair of Sensus grips, someone in the Zink household can buy a burrito.
ive been a long time ruffian lock on rider...when i got my trail bike from my buddy it had some non lock on grips and ive been digging them gloveless..

just ordered 2 sets of the senus non lock ons..little bit of grip glue and safety wire and they should be good to go....

does the little flange interfere with your shifters??

Last edited:

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
, I've also seen some of the pros "wiring" them, I did that once on my moto but the end of the wire cut my hand in a crash, haven't done is since.
you need the special safety wire tool to do it right..

for moto i use pro taper grip glue and safety wire the ends and the middle...the key is to get the twist super tight and then cut it the right length so you can bend it into the grip so its not sticking out..

you also need to position the twist so its not poking in your palm..

i double wrap the wire around the grip before i do the twist...

heres the tool http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/71/995/30307/ITEM/BikeMaster-Safety-Wire-Pliers-with-25-Stainless-Steel-Wire.aspx?SiteID=Google_PLA995&WT.mc_ID=10012&esvt=0-GOUSC&esvadt=9-0-3886819-1&esvaid=30548&kw={keyword}&gclid=CLWxle-mgrgCFbNj7AodAikAfg

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
If you've used a grip wire tool and a pre-grooved grip, there should be no reason to feel the wire.

Insert "You're doing it wrong" here....

I can't ride Pisgah without gloves. In summer, it's damp all day every day and once the foilage/briers come in spring time, you stripe the crap out of your knuckles and get barbs left and right.

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
Tore my Concepts in an OTB and went back to the Rajis: The Rajis feel like an absurdly thick wool glove in comparison to the thin Concepts. They are of completely different classes of glove. Picking up another set of Concepts today.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I safety wire my moto grips using whatever needle noses I have and some sweet technique. Never cut myself.

Here's a tip: don't have the pointy wire stick straight up into your hand.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
A few years ago I rode the Bontrager Big Earl lock ons. Best grips I've ever tried. Perfect diameter, awesome pattern and rubber. They worked perfectly with and without gloves.
I tried a lot of different grips, but never got a replacement as good as the original.

Can someone help me?
Searching a grip with the exact same diameter and similar rubber.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
**goes and pokes the soles of his shoes**

i saw those not too long ago, i wouldnt mind trying them as long as theyre not as thick as toothpicks.. i just hope the compound isnt the same as the bottom of my shoe. lol

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I would like present these for your consideration, the ODI O-Grip. I usually run ODI Intense grips but also found myself with my hands on the collars. This year I tried both versions of ESI grips but found they weren't much for durability, and some "siping" is good for moisture control. These have ticked all the boxes for me so far, thick but also thin??? Squishy yet supportive? Safety wire 'em on so they don't spin after my hackness lays it down.

Last edited:

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
just installed sensus swayze non lockons last night..they are thicker than i had hoped but they are pretty comfy..

yesterday i reminded myself why i used to wear gloves...went down in some rocks at 30mph and gave myself a nice handgina...

thats the one thing about riding trailbikes..im riding the same trails i used to ride a dh bike on with no gear, small tires an open face helmet and going almost as fast..kinda sketchy when you think about it...

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Well there's your problem.

Thinkin' is for sissies.

thats actually why i went down...i was pinned coming into the section and at the last second i remembered i had told myself i was gonna 'cruise' that run with my slower buddy...i checked up on the brakes and pushed the front end...

oh yea add a broken iphone to the damage too haha...

Last edited:

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
so i put some miles on the sensus swayzes yesterday..cant really say im a fan...feel thicker than some lock ons and not super grippy...

maybe they will get better when they break in..ill give em a chance

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
^^Didn't they say it's one of the thinnest grips eva?

Edit:
Can someone give some info on the ODI Longneck Lock ons?
Diameter, feel, etc.
Any info would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
I finally ordered fatter grips... As much as I love the Sensus' for 'regular', local rides, my hands are blistered to shlt after 2 days at Northstar. Got the new Easton 33mm's and the Lizardskins Northshores. Ill see what I like better and return the other. Park testing next next week!

Last edited:

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
First ride today with these (the 33mm version),

Gloveless defo felt better (vs. Sensus) overall. More cushion, support and rubber is pretty grippy.

Last edited:

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
put about 50miles on them in the last couple days...they feel a little better now..or im used to them..

i had some super worn non lockons before so anything feels fatter than those...im still not sure i like the mushroom grip...think id rather have something more like the ruffian...

^^Didn't they say it's one of the thinnest grips eva?

Edit:
Can someone give some info on the ODI Longneck Lock ons?
Diameter, feel, etc.
Any info would be much appreciated.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Not a lock-on fan, and never have had much luck with any "adhesive" methods of securing my beloved Odyssey team grips. I've tried grip glue, spray paint, hair spray, and a bunch of other voodoo. What has worked for me is to put a layer of skate grip tape down, slide the grip on dry with an air compressor, then saftey wire down the ends.
You ever try grip tape for golf clubs? I've never had a grip on a club twist or slip. Pretty easy to install as well.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

Gloveless defo felt better (vs. Sensus) overall. More cushion, support and rubber is pretty grippy.
Boylagz,

how much did you torque the bolts to? I discarded the packaging and can't find the torque specs on-line.

Last edited:

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
@slyfink, I didnt use a torque wrench. Sorry. I use it with mg Enve bar, I cinch it as I would an aluminum bar. The plastic insert should be good, protecting your bar if its carbon.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
took the sensus swayze non lockon off and installed some renthal kevlar nonlocks in its place..

the sensus are a little longer which I had come to like but the renthal definitely offer more grip..one nice thing about the mushroom pattern on the sensus is that it gives the sweat somewhere to go on the climbs..also the solid feel of the renthals feels more like what I'm used to..never quite got used to the mushroom pattern on the sensus even after running them for months..

plus the renthals helped tie together my all renthal cockpit on my trail bike..both are good grips just depends what kind of feel you are after

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
once i saw those, i knew i had to have them for the dh bike.. i still have to buy them.. ive got those vans ODIs on em right now. kinda surprised that i could like a grip that thin..

edit:
dfinn, whats he getting pulled out?

Last edited: