Quantcast

Gloves to use for trials

Chutney

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Tacoma, Wa
This might seem like a trivial question, but its important nonetheless.

What gloves to you use for trials?

Im fairly new to the sport (stringing 4 or five lurches together, pivots, small sidehops....etc.), and the gloves im using just arent holding up well at all; well more to the point, my hands arent holding up very well. Im using fairly thin (i think.... very little experience with other gloves) full finger fox gloves. I think they were made with trail riding and cross country in mind. I dhed a bit with them and they felt fine, but when i used them for trials, my hands just get all ripped up. I get blisters at the base of each of my fingers (on the palm), even though i have callouses there. Im also getting blisters consistently on the middle digits of my braking fingers.

Im also thinking it might be my grips: they are richey grips that have a pretty beefy grip pattern.... i think these are the only grips richey makes.

So my question is this: Where do you think the problem lies? is it in how im riding? is it my grips? is it in the gloves? are there gloves that you would recomend for trials riding?

Its seems like a small problem, but it sucks to not be able to go biking for something as stupid as blisters on my hands.

thanks a lot for any advice.

letoyboy

Chimp
Nov 27, 2003
Springfield, VA
I've gone through so many varieties of gloves. There's really no special one that I've found works best for trials, they all kinda have their benefits. But really, it might just be your riding. Maybe you're yanking on the bars too hard, maybe you're pulling the brake lever harder than you should, maybe you're just making your hands work a whole lot harder than they should. I've used Fox Static gloves, AXO Descend (a personal favorite, too bad they're non-existent now), Cannondale DH gloves (those are just ok), and even Performance Bike brand long finger gloves. I like the Fox and AXO the best, but it's all preference anyways, plus other factors. I'm running Oury grips on every bike I own, they're my absolute favorite. I have the lock-ons on all of them other than my xc and bmx bike. That might be of some help. If anything else, maybe your bike components or geometry is just making it that much harder......? Good luck!

TyF

Chimp
Feb 3, 2004
Fort Collins, CO
ok i just read your entire post and i would say you should get some thinner grips, they help you fell the bars better and give better control IMO, alos stick with the thing gloves, the do kinda destroy your hands at first but in the long run it is worth it. The thin golves allow better feel for me, get some grips here www.tryallamerica.com