Quantcast

Gluten free?

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
my dad is, and he's pretty sure i am too...but i don't think getting tested for it would change the way i eat. some of the gluten free stuff is alright, most of the time you can't taste the difference, but when you get the things that you can taste it...it tastes horrible usually. but the good thing is, is a lot of products now are labeled "Gluten Free" so it's pretty easy to pick and choose, but the products that are specifically gluten free are generally pretty expensive compared to the regular product.

not really sure if that helps, or if it's just a bunch of rambling

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
It's interesting, supposedly, if you give a small child gluten products, that significantly increases their chance of being intolerant, just cuz they're young and unable to process it properly.

Yeah, nothing really to contribute

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
anyone here gluten intolerant? If so, how do you get around it mostly?
I was diagnosed at age 2 with this issue. let me tell ya eating corn bread sandwiches sucks! The bread basically crumbles apart. It isn't hard alsmot all items can be found with a corn version if you need. I no longer follow the gluten free diet and seem fine. I am 31 now?

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
don't eat flour.
any.
even whole wheat.

there are all types of dry flat breads that are made of other grains as well.
Rice flour works as well.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Yea, I was diagnosed gluten intolerant about 5 months ago. I'm in college and also a college athlete. Tonight our workout burned around 1,700 calories. I get tired of eating rice and corn tortillas to get my carbs. Sometimes I'll go to the local co-op and buy a loaf of their gluten free bread, which is actually pretty tasty when it's warm, but it's 7 bucks a loaf.
What sucks the most is when I eat out, or am invited somewhere for dinner. Most places I can't get a good meal without worrying about gluten in it. Even some mexican places suck at putting gluten in every sauce they have. At asian restaurants I have to worry about the soy sauce.

Its hard for me to get enough calories, and I was thinking that I could get some meal idea's or favorite snacks that you gluten free folks like to eat.

Average breakfast: grits and eggs. protein shake

Average lunch: Progressive Clam chowder, 4 melted cheese corn tortillas. V-8 juice

Average dinner: Pot of jasmine rice with a can of green beans and 4 apple/cheese/chicken sausages (costco) cut up and thrown in. I throw a ton of jalapeno cheese to melt into it.

I'll fry up potatoes and cook in buffalo hamburger with some red peppers and make tacos sometimes too.

also any bread recipes would be cool

thanks, and sorry for the long winded post

trailblazer

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Jamaica
boots...i have been trying to quit flour as it has been proven to be an unhealthy food. It is non-condusive to cycling. It gives you that spittal mouth the first hour of a ride and i have noticed better digestion without white/whole wheat flour in my diet.
I have started eating thay dry bread in sandwiches. The rye riatta[?] not sure of the brand.
try this link afriend gave me, he is a celiac patient and can't eat gluten...there's tons of bread recipes there:
www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid=41