Quantcast

gmt wednesday GMT

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
good morning im back to starting the gmt :thumb: anyways i spent the entire weekend up at highland ridding bikes with my friends. anyways there is a overwhelming smell of weed on the breeze blowing through my room today, some ones up a little early:think:.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
North Carolina managed to write their bigotry into the state constitution last night. Yay :rolleyes:. F'ing backwards rednecks. The only counties that voted against it were where major universities are. Imagine that - the educated counties.

Had a great long weekend up on Cape Cod, visiting my folks. Managed to meet up with one of my oldest friends for her 30th birthday, too, while I was up there.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Where on the cape were you BV?

Mornin all. Trying to put the finishing touches on our euro vacation. Booking hotels and stuff for the latter half of the trip. Just have to finish the whole figuring out what to bring and mastering driving stick and we will be all set!

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Morning.

It's amazing how good I feel when I go to bed early and get lots of sleep. Maybe I should try that more often :think:. I should probably stock up on sleep now before the baby arrives next month.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Monday. Had a nice weekend. Man the weather was hard to beat yesterday.

North Carolina managed to write their bigotry into the state constitution last night. Yay :rolleyes:. F'ing backwards rednecks. The only counties that voted against it were where major universities are. Imagine that - the elitist counties.
FTFY, for proper vernacular.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Easy, BV. :thumb:

North Carolina has its share of backwards rednecks, for sure. It does not paint us in a very beautiful light, but we aren't the only state that is struggling with this issue. One cannot override that many years of traditional thinking in a state surrounded by others with traditional thinking, overnight. The fight isn't over by any stretch of the imagination, so to see opponents of this amendment pouting about it and sulking in the corner isn't going to help the cause. It's certainly well within the range of normal to be upset about the outcome if you were against the amendment, but there's no need to trash the hotel room and throw the TV out the window. If anything, it shows that uniting people on both sides of the political isle against an issue is a difficult thing to do...even when it's something this visible in our society... We'll get 'em next time!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Easy, BV. :thumb:

North Carolina has its share of backwards rednecks, for sure. It does not paint us in a very beautiful light, but we aren't the only state that is struggling with this issue.
I agree.

NC isn't the only state with backwards rednecks.

I'm not painting NC as particularly bad. I just hoped, you know, that logic, reason, education, compassion or acceptance might be taken into account at the polling booths instead of ignorance, hate and bigotry.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
well I was going to sleep in...early morning crew called me at 5:30am. Nav system was down, told them where the spare was. It's going to be a long day with a short night, I'm on the swing shift rig until midnight and then at 7am Thursday I have to meet with the Alameda County EMS coordinator for our bi annual Ambulance inspection and permit renewal. Guess it will be one of those sleep in my camper at work if I am going to get any sleep at all nights.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
North Carolina managed to write their bigotry into the state constitution last night. Yay :rolleyes:. F'ing backwards rednecks. The only counties that voted against it were where major universities are. Imagine that - the educated counties.
What happened?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I agree.

NC isn't the only state with backwards rednecks.

I'm not painting NC as particularly bad. I just hoped, you know, that logic, reason, education, compassion or acceptance might be taken into account at the polling booths instead of ignorance, hate and bigotry.
While the NAACP campaigned hard against the amendment, many black voters continued to see same-sex marriage not as a civil rights issue, but as a lifestyle choice with which they don’t agree.
sorry....

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Judging by all the comments on RM and FB it appears that North Carolina might be beating New Jersey as the most made fun of state.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Exactly, stevew....the issue is complicated here. NC is blessed with many points of academia, but even within those points are several layers of traditional cultural thinking from both Blacks, Whites and Latino that doesn't necessarily indicate that they are backwards rednecks. Being in agreement with this amendment can also mean that they don't particularly care for judges and legislatures determining how a state will proceed on a particular issue. They may see this amendment as protecting NC from the people who have access to be able to change something without all parties weighing in on it.

As I said...we'll get 'em next time.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
NC passed an amendment to the state constitution defining marriage as one man and one woman.
It's not just that that though. They removed acknowledgement of ALL non-marriage partnerships from law. So domestic partnerships are no good either. Think about going to see your dying/injured domestic partner at the hospital, and being told 'sorry, you aren't family'. See the additional issue here?

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
It's not just that that though. They removed acknowledgement of ALL non-marriage partnerships from law. So domestic partnerships are no good either. Think about going to see your dying/injured domestic partner at the hospital, and being told 'sorry, you aren't family'. See the additional issue here?

The issue is seen, Joker. That's why it's such a hot topic. All of NC has been immersed in this for the last 6 months.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Boggles my mind.
not every democrat thinks like a democrat....not every republican thinks like a republican....

At the Forest Hill Church precinct in south Charlotte, Democrat Don Hawley, 57, voted in favor. “I don’t know that we need to start protecting another class of citizens,” he said.

Mary Settlemyre, 49, a Republican, voted no. “My understanding of the Republican Party is it’s limited in your personal life,” she said. “That (intrudes) in the parts of your personal life they need not be in.”

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Morning monkeys!

Finally installed the Brooks saddle I have on my road bike. Now to break it in.

Moar office today. Can you feel my excitement?

Be safe out there.
I'm curious as to how long the break-in will take. I got mine last year for Mother's day and it didn't take too long, but I'd like it to break in a little more still. Is it on a mtn bike or road bike?

Morning.... Finally got some answers fromthe doc this past monday... I am not going to die, but I have some changes to make.
Yikes, this does not sound like fun changes.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Being in agreement with this amendment can also mean that they don't particularly care for judges and legislatures determining how a state will proceed on a particular issue. They may see this amendment as protecting NC from the people who have access to be able to change something without all parties weighing in on it.
You don't really believe that this was primarily anything other than a knee-jerk reaction to something perceived as icky or flying in the face of God, do you?

Come on now. I'm not drawing a distinction between black, white, latino or any other race. I'm not even drawing a distinction between typically-conservative voters or religious democrats. This was a straight, "I don't like who you are." Painting it in any other light is giving credit to those who deserve none.

Trust me, as someone who has lived with his girlfriend for 7 years, I know. However, the vast majority of those who voted for the amendment weren't voting against straight couples. This was voting religious beliefs into the state constitution - nothing more, nothing less.

Anyway... I'll take it to the political forum, n00b.

In response to the NC issue I still don't get why what 2 people do is anyone else's business or concern.

How do two people of the same sex getting married affect me? It does not.

America: land of opportunity (as long as it's the opportunity we think you should have).

or like George Carlin said "this country was founded by slave owners who wanted to be free."

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Afternoon peeps! Still no baby :( I think I may cough her up yet though.

I can't seem to shake this cold and I have entered the, I can hear but I can't stop coughing phase :rolleyes: Tball tonight if it doesn't storm...I'm actually hoping it storms so we can just chill at home instead, but we'll see. I honestly don't think that Sydney cares one way or another.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
You don't really believe that this was primarily anything other than a knee-jerk reaction to something perceived as icky or flying in the face of God, do you?

Come on now. I'm not drawing a distinction between black, white, latino or any other race. I'm not even drawing a distinction between typically-conservative voters or religious democrats. This was a straight, "I don't like who you are." Painting it in any other light is giving credit to those who deserve none.

Trust me, as someone who has lived with his girlfriend for 7 years, I know. However, the vast majority of those who voted for the amendment weren't voting against straight couples. This was voting religious beliefs into the state constitution - nothing more, nothing less.

There are lots of complicated layers. Can't say it enough. It's not just NC. We just happen to be the one with the vote this month, so it's on the radar. Just because other states voted very similar ways....does that make it OK for NC? No. Not at all. I think long gone are the days of knee-jerk reactions to this kind of issue. I think the Democrats(and many Republicans) were way less united in their opposition to this amendment than the primarily Republican voters were that were for it. That's a no-brainer...but look at the vote. It had some serious traction, and if given another shot at a later date...the outcome might be completely different.

It was a gross miscalculation by opposition strategists to overlook how black and latino voters would fall on this issue. In my opinion, far less was done to reach out to that base than was needed. While they were busy spending their time worrying about what whitey would do, they missed the mark on other sets of voter demographic.

I feel your passion on this BV. It's a big center of discussion here at the art school--can you believe that? Yeah, I know...pick yourself off the floor. As a lifelong resident, I hardly got the sense that it was a straight-up "We don't like your kind" vote. It was complicated, and there were many surprises from voter groups.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC

There are lots of complicated layers. Can't say it enough. It's not just NC. We just happen to be the one with the vote this month, so it's on the radar. Just because other states voted very similar ways....does that make it OK for NC? No. Not at all. I think long gone are the days of knee-jerk reactions to this kind of issue. I think the Democrats(and many Republicans) were way less united in their opposition to this amendment than the primarily Republican voters were that were for it. That's a no-brainer...but look at the vote. It had some serious traction, and if given another shot at a later date...the outcome might be completely different.

It was a gross miscalculation by opposition strategists to overlook how black and latino voters would fall on this issue. In my opinion, far less was done to reach out to that base than was needed. While they were busy spending their time worrying about what whitey would do, they missed the mark on other sets of voter demographic.

I feel your passion on this BV. It's a big center of discussion here at the art school--can you believe that? Yeah, I know...pick yourself off the floor. As a lifelong resident, I hardly got the sense that it was a straight-up "We don't like your kind" vote. It was complicated, and there were many surprises from voter groups.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Exactly, stevew....the issue is complicated here. NC is blessed with many points of academia, but even within those points are several layers of traditional cultural thinking from both Blacks, Whites and Latino that doesn't necessarily indicate that they are backwards rednecks. Being in agreement with this amendment can also mean that they don't particularly care for judges and legislatures determining how a state will proceed on a particular issue. They may see this amendment as protecting NC from the people who have access to be able to change something without all parties weighing in on it.

As I said...we'll get 'em next time.
but next time they'll be voting to reinstate slavery, or something else equally archaic