Quantcast

<< GMThursday >>

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
the survival of the planet
The planet will survive just fine. It humans as a species that won't. Thank you, George Carlin.

@KenW449 you read about fermis paradox. Also people think of evolution as survival of the fittest. But many times evolution doesn’t have to be for good. It just happens sometimes out of luck, or randomness, or just happens.
I'm convinced that the high probability that intelligent extant life exists is the exact reason we have seen no evidence of it, and therefore all the proof we need. I suspect that any species with the technology capable of making interstellar travel possible would take one look at the junk show called Earth and properly steer clear.
Fermi's Paradox is one of my favorite things. I tend to think of it it two slightly contradictory ways.
1. We have not yet reached the Great Filter. This could be any number of things. High on the list of possibilities IMHO is anthropogenic climate change. Another possibility I toy with in my mind is "social media". How twitter/FB/instagram might kill us is something I haven't quite worked out yet, but it sure is making us dumber.
2. Aliens are everywhere, but we as a species are just to fucking dumb and maybe don't exist in the appropriate number of dimensions. Do ants recognize that we build and fly airplanes?

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
The planet will survive just fine. It humans as a species that won't. Thank you, George Carlin.
That's what I'm saying. Earth will go on, but we are still busy fucking it up while we are here. It will only be restored once we are gone forever.
you should listen to Toxic Narcotic
Will do.
I think that only witches are made of wood.
Must be balsa, since they can only weigh as much as a duck.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Work training is awful. I developed the initial training, but the FTE's felt left out, so now I get to sit through the shitshow they have put together.

If only I had WebEx in the shed.