Quantcast

Gnarnia!!!!

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
Here is a sneak preview of the new trail we are cutting we being (myself and Jake (VSBjake) This is just the first 100ft of the trail. The pics dont do it justice. Come check it out yourself!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Looks a little too flowy.

But seriously, looks like fun, in a kind of "charge it, and hope for the best"

ojaiDH

Chimp
Jun 20, 2009
dream land
the folks at sol vist should take some notes. THAT IS MOUNTAIN BIKING! please don't ruin it with some big stupid jump! I wish it was closer, I'd help you build it. love it, great job keep the pics coming.

Rider15

Chimp
Dec 13, 2008
I hope a set of rims are the prize at the end of the race as it looks like they are going to be needed.

dhrace507

Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Mountains
the folks at sol vist should take some notes. THAT IS MOUNTAIN BIKING! please don't ruin it with some big stupid jump! I wish it was closer, I'd help you build it. love it, great job keep the pics coming.
I assume you mean Solvista, not sol vist, and in that case, notes are being taken. We'll do our best to change the climate, add rocks larger than are on the mountain and install a misting system to make moss grow on those rocks. Actually, no, we'll throw those notes away, we'll just keep up what we are doing. By the way, which one of the jumps was the big stupid one?

Aside from that off topic response, the trail looks good, not unlike some Snowshoe courses from the past...

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
More pics to come from GNARNIA in a few hours!!

On a side note if anyone from Sol Vista wants to buy some Ready to place Moss covered rocks contact me....buyer pays shipping, and we have some in Rootbeer!! lol

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
reminds me of the terrain at the very top of Massanutten Mtn in Virginia. I'd love to do some more riding in that area. Was only down there 2 days for the race.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Gotta love biking on a mountain. None of this groomed 8-lane freeway crap.

danielsapp414

Monkey
Mar 27, 2005
Boone, NC
Looks pretty fun! I have a trail in the pnw I've been working on for a couple years I had named "gnarnia" that looks very similar...slick and awesome, don't know if I'll ever finish it though unfortunately! Keep up the good work!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I assume you mean Solvista, not sol vist, and in that case, notes are being taken. We'll do our best to change the climate, add rocks larger than are on the mountain and install a misting system to make moss grow on those rocks. Actually, no, we'll throw those notes away, we'll just keep up what we are doing. By the way, which one of the jumps was the big stupid one?

Aside from that off topic response, the trail looks good, not unlike some Snowshoe courses from the past...
That was funny. Getum Steve.

Seriously, trail looks great but east coast does what it does best and the west coast does what it does best. Why not enjoy both?

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Rode the line a couple times this weekend, Adam and his crew put a huge effort into the massive amount of armoring to make that thing flow into a nice rock drop. Can't wait to see the finished product. Good thing about that white sandstone, is it's the only place with traction when it's wet and slimy around there. T-Line trains you to pay attention to tire pressure.

There has been alot of excellent features and trail improvements this summer. This place is getting funner every single time I ride it.

Last edited:

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
Some more.....
Beginning of GNARNIA!!!

This next couple is one pic right after the other walking down the trail

This pic below is looking back at the ladder to show the rock to rock line that leads into the rock drop, it is a pretty tech line since you have to turn at a decent speed while on the rock to hit the next drop, that sends you into the rim killer section.

Drop of the rock to rock section, drop is only about 5 ft but you land in the "little gnarnia" rim killer section.

Rim killer "little gnarnia" section, pics dont show the elevation change well, it is not steep but by no means flat, you will be coming though this section fast.

about 75 yards after this is the super steep section, that is almost unrideable when its wet due to the pitch and rockiness!
Hope you guys like the trail
Let us know what you think of the trail as well, the Owner and Bike Park manager are checking this thread so the more positive remarks the trails we are building get the more we will be allowed to build. Also look for pics of the new hip we just built, pics should be up this weekend, 8ft lip 18ft gap right hand hip...super fun!

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
Are you guys putting on a race this year?
Yes we are were working on the details right now.....but here are the definates,

100% Pro payback,
1st place Am, Beginner and Jr. is a set of Gravity light cranks
2nd place Am, Beginner and Jr. is a 09 LG1+ chainguide
3rd place Am, Beginner and Jr. is a season pass.

Now to the good stuff lift will be running all weekend Fri (not sure of the time on friday yet) Sat. 10-7pm Sun 10-7pm

Race fee will be as follows $50 for all weekend!!!!! Ready for this? That includes lift ticket for 3 days, race on Sat. Race on Sun. (both times will be added up to determine winner. Two Different courses) and........it also includes lodging in the "Bunk House" <think giant room with bathroom and shower with a bunch of Bunk beds.

This is going to be held mid to late September...dont worry we are scheduling it so it doesnt conflict with any other races....stayed tuned for more info...(coming in the next week or two as well as a new thread for the race and flyer!)
Thanks,
Adam

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
Oh and there will also be food discounts for racers at the Timberline Restaurant. I think 10 or 20% of food and drink, does not include boozing it up at the bar!

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Wow...sounds like you guys are really doing it right! Count me in for the race unless it conflicts with something I've been planning for a long time. Awesome!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
If the race is non-USAC count me in as well.

Can you confirm that you guys will be running the lifts wed-fri the last week of August? I'd like to hit the place up on my way to the next SS race.

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
It will def. be a NON USAC race!!! That is for sure!!!!! As for the lift at the end of the month I will def. check into tomorrow and post back up on here.
Adam

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Not sure if I'm on the same page as drt-jumper, but am assuming JR is planning a similar format and schedule as the race we put on last year. We ran it in conjunction with the Revenge of the Rattlesnake, which is a burly 40k xcountry race that is part of WVMBA sanctioned Ultra series. WVMBA also sanctioned our race last year which was a big help with registration and insurance and helped bring racers from the XC crowd. The turnout was awesome for a rainy slopfest, and the endurance crowd brought kegs, good vibes and some fast racing. The rider that posted the fastest track time on both DH courses also ended up in the top 15 the day before on a 40+k sufferfest that went from T-line up into the sods and then into Davis.

The Rattlesnake runs Sept 26 this year.

(edit) Just checked, there is a GE race at Blue Mountain scheduled at the same time. Are there any races scheduled between Aug 29 and Sept 26?

Last edited:

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
Not sure if I'm on the same page as drt-jumper, but am assuming JR is planning a similar format and schedule as the race we put on last year. We ran it in conjunction with the Revenge of the Rattlesnake, which is a burly 40k xcountry race that is part of WVMBA sanctioned Ultra series. WVMBA also sanctioned our race last year which was a big help with registration and insurance and helped bring racers from the XC crowd. The turnout was awesome for a rainy slopfest, and the endurance crowd brought kegs, good vibes and some fast racing. The rider that posted the fastest track time on both DH courses also ended up in the top 15 the day before on a 40+k sufferfest that went from T-line up into the sods and then into Davis.

The Rattlesnake runs Sept 26 this year.

(edit) Just checked, there is a GE race at Blue Mountain scheduled at the same time. Are there any races scheduled between Aug 29 and Sept 26?
The Rattlesnake at Timberline was canceled this year. I have already talked to JR about this, he and I are planning all of this.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
The Rattlesnake at Timberline was canceled this year. I have already talked to JR about this, he and I are planning all of this.
Don't think they canceled the Rattlesnake, just probably won't run it off of Timberline due to the Dolly Sods being designated wilderness and alot of epic riding closed due to this.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
Don't think they canceled the Rattlesnake, just probably won't run it off of Timberline due to the Dolly Sods being designated wilderness and alot of epic riding closed due to this.
Not sure what you're saying here, but Dolly Sods has been designated wilderness for 20+ years. Doubt there will/was ever any type of bike race held within the boundaries.

On the topic though, the trail looks amazingly fun, very reminiscent of Snowshoe and the overall real, big mountain riding that we are so lucky to have here on the East Coast. :thumb:

Count me in on the race! (as long as it doesn't conflict with Wisp)
Keep up the good work guys, I will have to make it down that way soon.

Originally Posted by drt_jumper
"The Rattlesnake at Timberline was canceled this year. I have already talked to JR about this, he and I are planning all of this."

Number 1: REVENGE OF THE RATTLESNAKE HAS NOT BEEN CANCELED!

Saturday, September 26th 11AM Blackwater Bikes, Davis WV for the knarliest oldest continuously running mountain bike race in the world. (304) 259-5286

Original Post by Almostheaven
"Not sure what you're saying here, but Dolly Sods has been designated wilderness for 20+ years. Doubt there will/was ever any type of bike race held within the boundaries."

Number 2: Dolly Sods North is where mountain bikers have been riding, racing and doing trail maintenance for the last 20+ years. In 2009, over the objections of almost every local business, all local government and business groups and the U.S. Forest Service, our sell out Congress prostitutes passed the Wilderness legislation that made Dolly Sods North part of the existing Dolly Sods Wilderness. That is reason number one why the Rattlesnake will not start at Timberline this year.

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
Originally Posted by drt_jumper
"The Rattlesnake at Timberline was canceled this year. I have already talked to JR about this, he and I are planning all of this."

Number 1: REVENGE OF THE RATTLESNAKE HAS NOT BEEN CANCELED!

Saturday, September 26th 11AM Blackwater Bikes, Davis WV for the knarliest oldest continuously running mountain bike race in the world. (304) 259-5286

Original Post by Almostheaven
"Not sure what you're saying here, but Dolly Sods has been designated wilderness for 20+ years. Doubt there will/was ever any type of bike race held within the boundaries."

Number 2: Dolly Sods North is where mountain bikers have been riding, racing and doing trail maintenance for the last 20+ years. In 2009, over the objections of almost every local business, all local government and business groups and the U.S. Forest Service, our sell out Congress prostitutes passed the Wilderness legislation that made Dolly Sods North part of the existing Dolly Sods Wilderness. That is reason number one why the Rattlesnake will not start at Timberline this year.
Settle down there....sorry I meant that Timberlines portion of the even was cancelled, not the entire race. Sorry for the confusion.:rolleyes:

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
I was a little confused, didn't think they'd cancel the snake. Too bad it can't be ran together again. I thought it brought a whole new element to the local race scene.

If anyone is interested, here is a map of what was closed due to the designation of Dolly Sods North. Wilderness_addition_map.pdf

In other news I found a post from Chainsmoke about the WISP race, this fall.

Originally Posted by Silent Assassin Chainsmoke

"Wisp is going to have another race this Fall, here is the info:

September 11 -13 Wisp Resort Fall Gravity Race Weekend, Dual race ($35 entry fee, includes lift & trail pass for Saturday only) at 1pm on Saturday, Sunday - Downhill race ($50 entry fee, includes trail and lift fee for both Saturday practice and race day Sunday) at 1pm, race both downhill and dual race for only $65. "

Last edited:

cneums

Monkey
Jul 9, 2009
Maryland, USA
hooooly **** that looks super gnar..good thing i still run 9 and a half in the back (i can see the gay jokes coming from a miiiiile away).