Quantcast

Go fast. Commit.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I saw this picture over on leelikesbikes.

Note the untouched brake levers.

I don't race downhill, but I ride a ton and I do like going fast. I gotta wonder how many times I scrub speed, even the slightest bit, when I simply don't need to, just because I usually cover my rear brake lever whenever the trail gets sketchy. A habit like that seems to be hard to brake. (no pun intended)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It's so easy to scrub off speed when you don't need to/aren't thinking about it... Cool picture, and a good reminder - keep the hands off the brake levers! :D

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
That's simply because he is a kid, and he has not found out yet how bad rocks hurt. Notice the tiny body, and the giant head. Well, its either a kid
or Mr. Mackey took up DHing.......mmmKay.

But yeah, I have been racing for years, and that is still my biggest problem,
scrubbing off speed when I don't need to. That why it takes me a gazillion runs on a course, before I learn to lay off the brakes. Its kinda lame, but I don't get hurt a whole lot.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
my hands are always on both brake levers, even off drops, dont ask, they just always are, wich explains the big blisters on both hands.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Jeremy R said:
That's simply because he is a kid, and he has not found out yet how bad rocks hurt.
Yea, he is a kid and I agree for the most part.

Jeremy R said:
But yeah, I have been racing for years, and that is still my biggest problem, scrubbing off speed when I don't need to. That why it takes me a gazillion runs on a course, before I learn to lay off the brakes. Its kinda lame, but I don't get hurt a whole lot.
I know. If I'm on a familiar trail I don't have the problem. But, sometimes there is something that goes off in my mind that says "too much speed" for no good reason. Example; I was jumping, more like learning to jump. I've cleared the jumps before, I know how fast I need to go to clear the jump, I still have the urge to do a quick brake-check at the last second even if I'm all good. Nothing good can come of it, unless coming up short on a double is considered good. I guess it's just a mental thing. I want to 'beat' it though.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
That rider isn't touching the hand brakes because it's a coaster brake!

I mean, it's a fixed gear!

Ok, you're right: :stosh:

Seriously, I'd like to think he/she has a mentor or someone who is teaching early the notion of staying off the brakes. Either that or he/she is just a natural. But yeah, staying off the brakes is tough, especially when riding new trails...

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Jeremy R said:
But yeah, I have been racing for years, and that is still my biggest problem,
scrubbing off speed when I don't need to. That why it takes me a gazillion runs on a course, before I learn to lay off the brakes. Its kinda lame, but I don't get hurt a whole lot.
I dont know if its my biggest problem but its deffinately a very big problem of mine. Id deffinately agree though, I tend to ride the brakes too much and im trying to come up with some idea on how to train myself not to touch them when not necessary.

OneBrickShy

Chimp
Nov 16, 2004
Actually, most fast riders have one finger on each brake lever at all times. Usually the forefinger just rests on the lever and does not actually apply any braking power, that is until it is needed.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
OGRipper said:
Seriously, I'd like to think he/she has a mentor or someone who is teaching early the notion of staying off the brakes. Either that or he/she is just a natural. But yeah, staying off the brakes is tough, especially when riding new trails...
The rider is the son of the photographer. I think there might be something to both the "hasn't learned that rocks hurt yet" and "just a natural" comments. A combination of the two.

Either way ... the picture is inspiring me to change that aspect of my riding.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Taking the hands completely off the brakes and just holding on is a great way of giving your hands a rest during long descents, too bad its the parts where you're completely stressing about not eating it on rocks;)

I try to practice this often. There are spots where I tell myself not to touch the brakes until I get to a particular corner, this has reduced hand fatigue and increased speed.

The kid RAWKS! ;) an inspiration to pin it!

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
Edinburgh
i used to find myself scrubbing off speed where i shouldn't so i changed my brake setup abit, my brake levers pull a fair bit(maybe half of their stroke) with out actually doing anything, this stops me dragging the brakes when im tired and also means im less inclined to dab the brakes where i shouldn't.

I cant ride my bike with my fingers off the brakes though it just feels wrong.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
360 said:
i used to find myself scrubbing off speed where i shouldn't so i changed my brake setup abit, my brake levers pull a fair bit(maybe half of their stroke) with out actually doing anything, this stops me dragging the brakes when im tired and also means im less inclined to dab the brakes where i shouldn't.

I cant ride my bike with my fingers off the brakes though it just feels wrong.
That's something I do as well. The engagement on my Hayes on the 204 is about half the stroke and on my other MTB, it's a bit farther than that I think. Most of the time, I just have to force myself to not have my hands on the brakes or, if I do, just use one finger. I swear, about 70%+ of the braking I do is totally unnecessary.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I don't think it makes a big diff. Just being skilled is what makes you fast, instead of focusing on unnesecary braking, focus on making turns at speed!

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
A thing to note about the photo... that kid is TEN. Freaking TEN! And he RAILS. And the section he's heading into? I've seen PRO-GUYS brake checking into that section... How rad! :thumb:

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
I keep one finger floating above each lever, just incase. When riding street though, i only have a rear brake, and never have a finger over it. come on why would i need a finger on the brake, if i hit a car its still the driver's fault :p

Nick are you gonna drag your ass out for the 6pm Urban ride tomorrow?

Feb 20, 2004
Oklahoma
I rode with that kid and his dad a little @ angelfire and he is a RIPPER. His dad was no slouch either. I was very impressed with him overall.

He has learned that there are some sections where brakes can only cause havoc. That section in particular.. Let it go and flow...

Metal

President of FRONJ
Oct 17, 2001
Orange County, CA
heikkihall said:
I dont know if its my biggest problem but its deffinately a very big problem of mine. Id deffinately agree though, I tend to ride the brakes too much and im trying to come up with some idea on how to train myself not to touch them when not necessary.
Get some Hope brakes. No matter how I had them set-up, they squealed like crazy. I got so sick of the noise that I only braked when it was completely necessary.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Best thing I've found for staying off the brakes is to point your index fingers where you want to go. Concentrate on it and you will find yourself not only braking less, but looking further down the trail. Both of which result in better riding.

BTW, I am a big ol wuss and I have a hard time doing this with consistancy which is why I am slow......but, people who I have suggested it to who don't suck have improved as a result.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Damn True said:
Best thing I've found for staying off the brakes is to point your index fingers where you want to go. Concentrate on it and you will find yourself not only braking less, but looking further down the trail. Both of which result in better riding.

BTW, I am a big ol wuss and I have a hard time doing this with consistancy which is why I am slow......but, people who I have suggested it to who don't suck have improved as a result.

hmmm :think: worth a shot

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
I was wondering why there were no snarky comments until I noticed the year.

IIRC there was an article about Bruni where they were doing telemetry stuff and they found out that he tended to pull on the levers a bit even when he thought he wasn't doing it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I was wondering why there were no snarky comments until I noticed the year.

IIRC there was an article about Bruni where they were doing telemetry stuff and they found out that he tended to pull on the levers a bit even when he thought he wasn't doing it.

This is why I don't like brakes with lots of initial bite. Let's me almost brake without really losing any speed.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I finger my brakes...almost always 1 finger on...don't use em a ton but it's habit...just went and looked at all my race pics and freeride drops rocks etc...1 finger on in almost every pic..couple nasty sections grips only and that's cause it's a damn bucking bronco section....brakes aren't gonna do you shit there.....I ride just as well withy paws with 3 fingers clamped as I do 4...so no loss of control...

We need to be cool like gwinn and win with no chain...then you know you didn't scrub spots...

I used to pretend I didn't have a chain and carry speed everywhere...Canfield gave me the idea...he wanted a dh race on a run no chains...lol

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Well, looks like imma pussy.
Always have the index finger covering with the exception of the odd rock garden, where I have to consciously remove it.