Go green, skip the LBS

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
From the NRDC

Natural Resources Defense Council said:
The early bird ... cuts pollution?
It's true: Do your online and catalog shopping early and you'll be able to request ground shipment. Ground shipping is six times more efficient than overnight air shipping. It saves fuel and reduces global warming pollution.

Shop in the Buff
As long as it’s online shopping, that is. This year, shop for gifts on your computer at home to save major energy (and major cash, thanks to exclusive online discounts).

Why it matters—Despite their size, e-commerce warehouses use 1/16th of the energy that retail stores do. And even overnight air shipping adds up to 40% less fuel, per item, than the average car trip to the store.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
That's fine and all, but the benefits of shopping locally (keeping money local, employing those within my community, tax benefits, staunching the big-boxification of america etc) far offset the singular benefit of saving energy by shopping online.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
That's fine and all, but the benefits of shopping locally (keeping money local, employing those within my community, tax benefits, staunching the big-boxification of america etc) far offset the singular benefit of saving energy by shopping online.
You will be also saving money, helping the planet, and not supporting terrorism/illegal wars by reducing your carbon footprint. The majority of LBS don't cater to enthusiasts so they are nothing more than frivolous middlemen that do the mail-ordering from the distributors for you at their location - they don't carry the middle to upper-end products. No value is added and its wasteful to the greatest degree.

Its not a small difference:

e-commerce warehouses use 1/16th of the energy that retail stores do. And even overnight air shipping adds up to 40% less fuel, per item, than the average car trip to the store.
Ground is six times more efficient than overnight too...

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
You will be also saving money, helping the planet, and not funding terrorism/illegal wars by reducing your carbon footprint.
Building a strong local community is tangible; all the downsides you list will continue whether I actively participate or not. When you consider that most of that crap is made halfway around the world, reducing the carbon footprint of the final leg of the journey is likely a pittance of the total environmental damage done.

My town is small though (4.4 sq/mi, on a peninsula into the atlantic with only 3 roads in/out) so my 'ideal' doesn't match most of the population. Starbucks and DD are the only chains allowed within our town limits, everything else is locally owned.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Warehouses use 1/16th the energy retail stores do, that's not a small difference. Unless your LBS meets or beats passivhaus standards, its not something you can write off as insignificant.

In the United States, buildings account for:
36 percent of total energy use and 65 percent of electricity consumption
30 percent of greenhouse gas emissions
30 percent of raw materials use
30 percent of waste output (136 million tons annually)
12 percent of potable water consumption
Source: U.S. Green Building Council
The US uses about 1/4 the world's energy resources and yet its only 5% of the world population.

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
until the day the online boys can get me the replacement part I want for todays ride in under 30 minutes I think I will stick with my LBS. I do buy on line if the locals don't have the particular item I want rather than wait for them to order it. I bought my new bike from the LBS because you can't buy the Model/Brand I wanted online (unless a retailer had online sales in addition to it's store).

Oh and my LBS seems to stock quite a bit of mid to high end road and Mt bikes plus components, sorry you live in the land where Big Five passes for an LBS

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
syadasti....don't fly anywhere...ever.

ever.
Newer jets like the Dreamliner (and A350 soon) beat driving a fuel efficient ICE in terms of a carbon footprint (20% more efficient than comparable jetliner). There isn't a large difference between an average ICE car and flying.

Turboprops are more efficient that jetliners too (over 50% less fuel than an average jetliner)...

Trains easily beat either.

My first full-time IT job I commuted on foot. My second I commuted via bike. My new house lets me walk or bike to work too. I average less than 5K mi/year in my car.

Two of the last three years the 60000 sq ft facility I manage has been one of the few net zero electricity users in its industry in the world - electric lighting is our primary energy usage. Two years ago we also cut our secondary building natural gas consumption by 1/10 when we rebuilt the building - it was the largest part of our non-electrical energy consumption by far prior to that.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Aviation on average is very inefficient compared to automotive ICE. There aren't enough 787s to make any kind of dent, and the smaller planes are generally less efficient. Turboprops are definitely more efficient, but passengers hate them. Geared turbofans are an interesting newer development though (still don't reach the specific fuel of turboprops afaik).

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Aviation on average is very inefficient compared to automotive ICE. There aren't enough 787s to make any kind of dent, and the smaller planes are generally less efficient. Turboprops are definitely more efficient, but passengers hate them. Geared turbofans are an interesting newer development though (still don't reach the specific fuel of turboprops afaik).
It really depends on the flight and also how many passenger you have in your car how direct each route is. There is not a huge difference as comparing a ecommerce warehouse and a retail shop - 1/16th is a much large contrast than aviation and passenger cars. Especially compared to ICE passenger car as old as most jetliners, the jetliners are better give how many Americans drive solo or only two at once.

According to British Airways, a 747-400 plane cruises at 576 mph (927
km/h), burns 12,788 liters (3378 US gallons) of fuel per hour, and
carries 409 passengers when full:
http://www.britishairways.com/flights/factfile/airfleet/docs/7474.shtml

If the plane is 75% full, one passenger is carried 22.2 km for each
liter of fuel burned (52.2 miles for each US gallon of fuel burned).
This fuel efficiency exceeds that of almost all cars, when the driver
is travelling alone.

According to the Global Distance Calculator
http://www.indo.com./distance/
Chicago is 7315 km (4545 miles) from Milan, making a return journey of
14630 km (9090 miles).

Therefore, 658 liters (173 US gallons) of fuel would be burned to
carry a passenger from Chicago to Milan and return.

The average annual distance driven per car in the USA is given as
17862 km (11099 miles) in a report which quotes figures from the
International Road Federation:
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/94713ad445ff1425ca25682000192af2/73f5696b10a8f71dca2569d000164394!OpenDocument

At a fuel consumption of 30 miles per gallon (12.75 km per liter) this
would consume 370 gallons (1401 liters) per year.

On this basis, the car has the greater fuel consumption. However, your
"standard" journey of Chicago to Milan is hardly a "round-the-world"
flight. The circumference of the world is 40074km (24901 miles) and a
plane journey of this distance would consume 1805 liters (477
gallons). On that basis, the plane has the greater fuel consumption.

There are several assumptions incorporated into the above
calculations, such as how fuel efficient the car is, and how full the
aircraft is. So I thought it would be useful to check how others have
approached questions similar to yours. On the "How Stuff Works" site
is the following question:

"How much fuel does an international plane use for a trip?"
http://www.howstuffworks.com/question192.htm

They arrive at a figure of 100 miles per gallon per passenger for a
747. However, they assume that the plane is carrying 500 passengers,
which accounts for most of the difference.

Obviously, there are many other environmental variables which could be
considered, depending on type of fuel used, environmental costs of
obtaining the fuel, environmental costs of building the cars and
planes and their associated infrastructure, etc.

Sometimes, environmental costs are expressed in terms of carbon
emissions, and the Edinburgh Centre for Carbon Management publishes
some interesting estimates:
http://www.eccm.uk.com/readyreck.pdf (requires PDF viewer)

They report that three return flights from London to New York (33510
km or 20822 miles total) would emit 1000 kg (2205 pounds) of carbon
per person, whereas a year's driving in an "average British car" would
emit 1100 kg (2425 pounds) of carbon.

The "transport" page of the Climate Action Network
http://www.climnet.org/publicawareness/transport.html
calculates carbon emissions for some typical European journeys.
Sometimes the car wins; sometimes the plane wins. For Amsterdam to
Rome (1297 km or 805 miles) the carbon emission is 118 grams per
passenger km for the plane and 119 grams per passenger km for the car.

The Chooseclimate.org site includes a carbon calculator for any
airline flight, which takes account of the different carbon emissions
for takeoff, cruising and landing. Full details are provided of the
method of calculation:
http://www.chooseclimate.org/
(click on the "Flying off to a warmer climate" link)

Finally, an untitled page by Toriko Kino
performs the calculations for a return flight from Tokyo to New York,
and concludes that the energy consumed is the same as that which would
be provided by the food that a person eats over 14 years!
http://global.horiba.com/gaiapress_e/eu/eu06/eu6_1.htm

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
B747skipper From , joined Dec 1969, posts, RR:
Reply 7, posted Wed Jun 19 2002 21:06:01 your local time (10 years 6 months 1 week 2 days 20 hours ago) and read 23870 times:

Fuel burn (planning) 747-200s or 747-300s...
We account for some 1,000 kg (2,200 lbs) for the taxi-out for takeoff...
Assuming a heavy aircraft at 377,000 kg (833,000 lbs) takeoff weight, it will burn some 15,000 kg (33,000 lbs) to initial cruise level FL290 or 310...
First hours of cruise, expect some 13,000 kg (28,000 lbs) FF per hour...
As the plane gets lighter, at the end of cruise, maybe at FL370 or 390, the FF will decrease to under 10,000 kg (21,000 kg) per hour...
Descent, approach, landing, generally burn 3,000 kg (6,000 lbs) total...
Taxi-in will be anywhere from 500 to 1000 kg (1,000 to 2,000 lbs)...
Our company policy is plan landing at destination with 14,000 kg (30,000 lbs) which leaves us enough to proceed to an alternate destination + reserves...
The cost of a fill-up on a 747-200 or 300 varies with fuel prices, but be the capacity of these airplanes is generally 155,000 kg (345,000 lbs) with the 7 tanks configuration, or 165,000 kg (367,000 lbs) with 9 tanks...
Hope it helps...
This from a 747 pilot. That's about 51,500g (6.7lb/gal)

It's important to note that jet planes burn a lot of fuel at low altitude, even taxiing, once they get up to cruise, that's where they are "efficient". Their cruise fuel burn changes significantly during the flight as well, due to the radical difference in weight.

I've done these calcs before and it's hard to get above 10mpg. The direct nature is one thing it's favor, but I've never had them come out to crazy high numbers. I'll look at these calcs a little more.

Lets say 6000nm for a typical mission. That would mean 6000/51500g=.1165mpg. Typical car gets 30 mpg, takes 200g. About the only way it "works" is if the car has one occupant, otherwise, it's a slam dunk for the car most of the time, and this is assuming the plane is fully loaded, but due to the class-layouts, they typically are not 400+ people airplanes. More like 350. (all nippon more like 320, a few a bit above 350, etc).

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Anyhow doesn't change the fact that a retail shop like a LBS is far less efficient than a warehouse and buildings are significant source of energy consumption in the US. That's one the reasons they can afford the lower prices.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
True, and I'd say that most of them lack the motivation necessary to stay in business. Lots of them love riding, but that's not enough to stay successful. They have to do things to compete that mail order just cant do, like built a pump track behind the shop, sponsor local rides and races, guided rides on regular days, involvement in the community, a website with the current inventory (ok, mail order can do that), scouring the internet, qbp and any other source for "deals" to bring in stuff that will sell for a decent price, and so on. I never have a moral problem going to mail order, given the way that LBSs function and their lack of innovation. How did mail order shops get started? Most likely were LBSs that came up with a "good idea". Now that idea is taken and played out, but there are other good ones out there and ways to compete.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You can make greener retail buildings and there are some larger chains like Kohls investing in efficiency upgrades but warehouses will come out ahead especially all things being equal because the hvac, lighting, and storage needs are less and costs are spread across more inventory units per space not to mention you don't have to drive to and from the store.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You don't even have to HVAC the whole warehouse. :D

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Explain why my bread is moldy even though I made it 2 days ago?
Mmike would blame Obama.

Personally, I think it is because you didn't score enough LEED points on your sedimentation control plan.

Pitfalls of too much glitter.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
If you really think being greenest is best. Every other option is less than optimal.
Exactly what an sickly obese person or addict would say when you ask them to change. Ignoring a significant problem won't solve anything. Business as usual is not acceptable.

See Germany (widespread alternative energy adoption), Austria (passivhaus as building code), etc - many nations are changing as is necessary. Our own national security doesn't ignore the facts either.

navy.mil said:
Story Number: NNS100524-01 Release Date: 5/24/2010 12:33:00 PM
By Bob Freeman, Office of the Oceanographer of the Navy
WASHINGTON (NNS) -- The Vice Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Jonathan Greenert, released an overarching roadmap on May 21 that will guide Navy policy, strategy and investment plans related to a changing global climate.

Phase 1, focusing on near-term goals, includes defining the requirements for improved operational and climatic prediction capabilities through cooperative efforts within the U.S. government and scientific and academic communities.

Phase 1 also calls for inclusion of climate change impacts on national security in Naval War College coursework and in strategic "table top" exercises.

Phase 2, which is targeted for fiscal years 2011 and 2012, identifies as a priority the development of recommendations for Navy investments to meet climate change challenges. These challenges include protecting coastal installations vulnerable to rising sea levels and water resource challenges and being prepared to respond to regions of the world destabilized by changing climatic conditions.

Phase 2 also calls for the formalization of the cooperative relationships defined in Phase 1, and targets incorporation of climate change considerations in strategic guidance documents and fleet training and planning.

Phase 3, looking out through fiscal year 2014, addresses the execution of investment decisions and the initiation of intergovernmental, multilateral and bilateral activities with various partners to better assess and predict climate change, and respond to the military impacts of climate change.

"Climate change will affect the type, scope, and location of future Navy missions, so it's essential that naval force structure and infrastructure are delivered at the right time and at the right cost," Titley explained. "That will depend upon a rigorous assessment of future requirements and capabilities, and an understanding of the timing, severity, and impact of the changing climate, based on the best available science," he added.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I know, lets take it one step further. Lets build a giant warehouse and have everyone live it it with stores and shops inside.....a super hive of humanity :rolleyes:
That's one of the primary drivers for the shift of populations from rural to urban environments as nations develop and prosper its a more efficient way to live with growing populations and limited resources.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/12/city-solutions/kunzig-text

One evening last March, Harvard economist Edward Glaeser appeared at the London School of Economics to promote this point of view, along with his new book, Triumph of the City. Glaeser, who grew up in New York City and talks extremely fast, came heavily armed with anecdotes and data. "There's no such thing as a poor urbanized country; there's no such thing as a rich rural country," he said. A cloud of country names, each plotted by GDP and urbanization rate, flashed on the screen behind him.

It's easy to see why economists would embrace cities, warts and all, as engines of prosperity. It has taken a bit longer for environmentalists, for whom Henry David Thoreau's cabin in the woods has been a lodestar. By increasing income, cities increase consumption and pollution too. If what you value most is nature, cities look like concentrated piles of damage—until you consider the alternative, which is spreading the damage. From an ecological standpoint, says Stewart Brand, founder of the Whole Earth Catalog and now a champion of urbanization, a back-to-the-land ethic would be disastrous. (Thoreau, Glaeser points out gleefully, once accidentally burned down 300 acres of forest.) Cities allow half of humanity to live on around 4 percent of the arable land, leaving more space for open country.

Per capita, city dwellers tread more lightly in other ways as well, as David Owen explains in Green Metropolis. Their roads, sewers, and power lines are shorter and so use fewer resources. Their apartments take less energy to heat, cool, and light than do houses. Most important, people in dense cities drive less. Their destinations are close enough to walk to, and enough people are going to the same places to make public transit practical. In cities like New York, per capita energy use and carbon emissions are much lower than the national average.

Cities in developing countries are even denser and use far fewer resources. But that's mostly because poor people don't consume a lot. Dharavi may be a "model of low emissions," says David Satterthwaite of London's International Institute for Environment and Development, but its residents lack safe water, toilets, and garbage collection. So do perhaps a billion other city dwellers in developing countries. And it is such cities, the United Nations projects, that will absorb most of the world's population increase between now and 2050—more than two billion people. How their governments respond will affect us all...

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Wow. The way people come down on this one turns precisely on whether they have ever had a good local shop (or, for many of us, worked in one). If so, you get it. If not, nothing will sway you. But to make the decision based on energy efficiency is just ridiculous.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Wow. The way people come down on this one turns precisely on whether they have ever had a good local shop (or, for many of us, worked in one). If so, you get it. If not, nothing will sway you. But to make the decision based on energy efficiency is just ridiculous.

The NRDC is reporting a fact, they don't have an anti-retail agenda. The difference in energy use is clearly significant both between warehouses and retail and the percentage of total US energy consumption from buildings (which itself is significantly larger than expected given our population)

Last edited:

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
The warehouse model assumes NO LOCAL Recycling of old bikes, bike parts etc. It assumes pure consumption. Bike shop, not so much. Ya cant send your wheel to amazon to have three new spokes installed. It's a community business, a place for people to gather, warehouse - not so much...
There's something to be said for bringing an old precious steed to the bike shop, and having them bring it back to life for ya.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The warehouse model assumes NO LOCAL Recycling of old bikes, bike parts etc. It assumes pure consumption. Bike shop, not so much. Ya cant send your wheel to amazon to have three new spokes installed. It's a community business, a place for people to gather, warehouse - not so much...
There's something to be said for bringing an old precious steed to the bike shop, and having them bring it back to life for ya.
Wrong.

A service centric LBS is significantly smaller than one that focuses on retail - we have one near one of the main area trails. Look at the auto industry - most auto shops do not stock parts other than motor oil and other common fluids and maybe tires and batteries - the essentials.

Everything else is delivered from an auto parts warehouse. Its the way to go for a more workable efficient business model. Automobiles are some of the most recycled machines on the planet, so it works.

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
So, where do you buy your groceries Syadasti ? I mean think of how energy inefficient grocery stores are with all that refrigeration and electric lighting. And farmers using up all that soil and water. Just sickening. But I am sure there is a giant green food factory/warehouse that will supply you with some delicious chemical food substitutes. Goddamn this is really pissing me off. The food industry needs to be stopped. And local restaurants are surely to blame for tremendous amounts of potato peels and used fryer oil. What about them ? I'm glad you posted this topic.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well, here in AK, they just load up a bunch of semi trailers in the parking lot with all the frozen goods and leave them outside :D We are recycling oil in places too now, pretty impressive IMO.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Large supermarkets are significantly cheaper than small corner stores. Economies of scale and the efficiency is there otherwise they wouldn't exist.

Cities, supermarkets (or the next level up - warehouse stores like Costco/Home Depot/etc), auto shops etc - do all of you live under a rock?

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Large supermarkets are significantly cheaper than small corner stores. Economies of scale and the efficiency is there otherwise they wouldn't exist.

Cities, supermarkets (or the next level up - warehouse stores like Costco/Home Depot/etc), auto shops etc - do all of you live under a rock?
No, I live in a community which means I like to shop locally with non-big box stores as much as possible.

This is by far your most absurd argument this year Syadasti. Seriously dude, do you just not give a sh!t about your neighbors or are you the one living under a rock ?

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
No, I live in a community which means I like to shop locally with non-big box stores as much as possible.

This is by far your most absurd argument this year Syadasti. Seriously dude, do you just not give a sh!t about your neighbors or are you the one living under a rock ?
yup. to hell with government elections; vote every single day with your dollar by buying from companies you believe in and want to see continue doing business.