Quantcast

Go Pro HD

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
I have just purchased a gopro HD am having trouble importing the 720p 60fps footage. I am using mac osx leopard and the latest version of final cut express. Final cut simply does not recognize the files. thoughts would be appreciated.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Still waiting on my GoPro HD. Should be here today. If so, I'll fire it up as soon as I get ya and see what I can sort out. Will be using the same software and system.

What version of Mac OS X do you have? The latest udpate added some additional video/img codecs.

Have you tried installing perian?

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
@ transend: I am using osx leopard, not snow leopard. I have kept all my updates current that I didn't have to pay for. I do not have perian

@ kidwoo: It puts out an mp4 compressed with an h.264 codec.

Both imovie 06 and imovie08 can at least import the files. They certainly do not keep the quality or the frame rate.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Admit it. Macs suck :D

Final cut claims support for those things. It should work. At the very least, you should be able to download the codec and final cut can use it. You got any software that came with the camera? Install it and the codec should then be on your computer, meaning final cut should be able to use it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
no software comes with the camera. It poops out mp4 so there should be no need for any.
There are lots of codecs and ways to get an mp4 file, therefore there are lots of codecs that can read those files based on how they were created.

It's an mjpeg compression. Search for 'mjpeg codec' on google and install it from whatever site you choose. At the very least make sure you have a current version.

Give it a go. Codecs are small.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
from the guys at gopro:

We actually use Final Cut here in the office.

Here is some advice straight from our video editor.

Final Cut needs a recognizable format for our 60fps files. You need to do a high quality transfer to a .mov file. Here is the free software for you to use.
go to:
http://www.squared5.com/
download whatever version meets your computer.
Open MPEG Streamclip application and import your 60fps files.
Go to export.
The best quality I've used is Prorez. 100% and then 60fps and .mov.
Now you can import the Streamclip exported .mov file into Final Cut at 60fps.
This should also work for Smoothcam application.

Please let us know if you have any more questions or if anything is unclear.

that worked perfectly. real easy

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Got mine in today. FInal cut pro 6.06 recognized the files (30 and 60fps) right away with no extension changes or anything. Rendering a 3 min or so 960p video however is taking ages on an 8core mac pro.