Quantcast

God I hate Symantec

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
What a series of cluster****s mixed with Symantec ruining everything good:

Step 1: Sys Admin at one of my larger clients somehow "found out" that the selection list and backup jobs in Backup Exec 11d got wiped out somehow, and recreated them. No problem I said, it's all documented so follow that and we're good.

Step 2: Sys Admin doesn't follow documentation when recreating the jobs.

Step 3: Owner of company blows away his Exchange calendar trying to sync with his Iphone

Step 4: Brick-level backups don't work with tape drives in 11d, only to disk. Previously we had nightly bricks to disk, weekly Information Stores to tape brought offsite. Sys Admin only did Information Stores to tape, nightly.

Step 5: No problem, use Exchange 2003 Recovery Group to mount database, exmerge owners mailbox to .pst and import calendar.

Step 6: Sys Admin used VSS on Exchange backup, taking a Full Snapshot. Snapshots are not supported when backing up to Recovery groups.

So i'm stuck here, since 11PM:
- Disable port 25 through the firewall, mail getting spooled through our spam servers
- Backup current Information Store to disk
- Restore last night's backup over current information store
- Exmerge owners mailbox
- Restore tonight's backup
- Import calendar
- Turn on 25

I'm at step 3...

If it was anyone else, I would have told them to ****off and recreate their calendar while I fixed the backup situation.

Oh well, live and learn I guess....****ing Symantec.

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

He blew away his Calendar just before last night's backup ran. Gotta restore the previous night's backup now.....

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
What a series of cluster****s mixed with Symantec ruining everything good:

Step 1: Sys Admin at one of my larger clients somehow "found out" that the selection list and backup jobs in Backup Exec 11d got wiped out somehow, and recreated them. No problem I said, it's all documented so follow that and we're good.

Step 2: Sys Admin doesn't follow documentation when recreating the jobs.

Step 3: Owner of company blows away his Exchange calendar trying to sync with his Iphone

Step 4: Brick-level backups don't work with tape drives in 11d, only to disk. Previously we had nightly bricks to disk, weekly Information Stores to tape brought offsite. Sys Admin only did Information Stores to tape, nightly.

Step 5: No problem, use Exchange 2003 Recovery Group to mount database, exmerge owners mailbox to .pst and import calendar.

Step 6: Sys Admin used VSS on Exchange backup, taking a Full Snapshot. Snapshots are not supported when backing up to Recovery groups.

So i'm stuck here, since 11PM:
- Disable port 25 through the firewall, mail getting spooled through our spam servers
- Backup current Information Store to disk
- Restore last night's backup over current information store
- Exmerge owners mailbox
- Restore tonight's backup
- Import calendar
- Turn on 25

I'm at step 3...

If it was anyone else, I would have told them to ****off and recreate their calendar while I fixed the backup situation.

Oh well, live and learn I guess....****ing Symantec.
sounds like this thread should be called

God I hate our Sys Admin

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Been working on this since 11 last night. Have had both Symantec Support AND Exchange Support conferenced in. Everything looks good as far as my backup/restore procedure and database configurations, but the .stm files are corrupt somehow...

Trying a last ditch effort before restoring back to tape and losing a day + of emails.

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Change title to "God I hate Symantec. And the Sys Admin. And Microsoft":

After 5 hours:

M$ - Well we can run a tool on that corrupt database
A - How long is that going to take
M$ - At least 24 hours, and you'll have between 1% and 100% data loss
A - Or I could restore from the previous night's backup and lose 1 day of email and they'll be up in 30 minutes
M$ - Yeah, but my way will work
A - ....1% - 100% data loss doesn't sound so awesome
M$ - Open a command prompt
A - ....*click*

I'm gonna shoot somebody