Quantcast

Goddam Spring Washer!!! (Boxxer WC)

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
Alright. I don't know how many people go through these, but I've gone through probably 10 Spring washer that lays in between the Solo air piston and the Small C-clip. They snap in half on me and after that my fork starts topping out... Its driving me nuts. On average they last about 2 weeks. I just got my fork rebuilt by sram 1 week and, and noticed my fork starting to top out. Pulled out my Solo Air and boom the Spring washer was broken. Is there a way I can buy these things elsewhere instead of having to go through sram, and having to buy a whole service kit just for one spring washer? I haven't had any luck finding these suckers anywhere. Help would be appreciated.

I don't rebuild the fork incorrectly, I follow the instructions on the sram website 100%.

DHJUNKIE

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Cromwell, CT
your saying when you press down on it and it rebounds you hear a like clicking/popping? Mine does that a lot.. its done it three times so far. and i call up sram all the time and get replacement parts... its pretty annoying cuz i rebuild my fork to the T every time.. i mean there are like 2 pieces to these damn forks and rebuilding it every month w/ brand new oil should help. Im not to sure what to do other than get a 40... haha if u find an answer please share.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Rebuilding it won't do anything and has nothing to do with this (you really don't need to do it every month either, oil won't contaminate or break down that easily unless you ride lift-assisted stuff all week).

The clicking on rebound stroke is often just the compression one-way valve shutting which is perfectly normal, however sometimes it can also be the spring washer failure that commencal-guy mentioned.

I've had one die before (in the same way), but only one over a fair few WC forks. Hardware shops specializing in small parts / bearings may be able to provide the part you need if you take it in for them to match it. I think in one fork I used a return valve spring (from rebound assembly) to replace the spring-washer which seemed to work okay too, although it's not as stiff.

If you're having constant problems, just try different things in place of that spring washer and see how you go. Basically, the purpose of the washer is to hold that plastic part down (it has some up/down play on the shaft, imagine the spring as what keeps that "travel" sprung). When your fork tops out, the plastic head moves up, compresses the spring, and opens the neg/pos chambers to each other, to allow pressure to equalize.

As soon as you compress the fork a little (or whenever the fork isn't topped out) the plastic head moves down, closing off the gap between the chambers. The spring washer helps push it down again, but it's not really necessary, the fork just makes a little click if you don't have the washer.

Given that info you might be able to think of a cool solution of your own. :)

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
This is probably happening to mine as well, feeling pretty crappy and also making a clicking noise on rebound. Not to mention i lost my rebound knob...twice...
Is there some sort of complete rebuild kit you can buy from SRAM for like washers, seals, etc to make my fork not feel like crap

Also, not to hijack this thread but there is also a very substantial (more than when i first got it) amount of play in my fork. I can hold the front brake and rock it back and forth and feel movement between the stanchions and the seals...any idea?

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
Thanks UDI, seems like your the only one who really knows what Iam talking about.:disgust1:

Anyways, I know how to fix the knocking sound/ top out feeling the Boxxer gets. Its not the rebound side, because the air side tops out way before the rebound side. Thats why when you pull the stanchions individually the rebound side is about an inch or 2 longer then the spring side.

Anywho My problem is the little bowed spring washer that sits on top of the Solo Air piston. Black color for 06-07, and Blue for 08 (updated by Sram) My problem is however is that the spring washer breaks on me for some odd reason, and as a result the piston knocks up and down causing the fork to create a loud top out sound... I was wondering if anyone knew were I can buy these washers, I've checked my local hardware stores ect.. and none have what I need. I don't want to go get it through Sram since I'd have to buy a whole service kit in order to get just one of these spring washers...

Udi with your knowledge, Ive tried to substitute a couple of things to replace the spring washer but none seem to work since they didn't apply enough tensions on the piston. Can you give me a couple of suggestions to get my head working again? i've hit rock bottom with all my creative activity at the moment.

*Note BigHitCOmp04 and DHJUNKIE if you search back a bit I've made a post in regarding to this top out, clicking sound, ect... its been all figured out in how to fix this problem.:happydance:

hbracca

Chimp
Jun 4, 2008
Eugene, OR
Sorry to bring this back up but my girlfriends WC is making a nasty click/clack noise at the very top of its travel in the rebound and compression stroke but only for the first few mm. I have read about 5 or 6 posts and I was hoping someone could clear up the re-punching solution. Thanks!