Quantcast

Goddamnitalltohell!!!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Picked up my shiney brand spaking new Jamis Quest today... I could hardly control myself at work this afternoon once I knew it was going to be ready. I brought it home, threw my pedals on it, put some air in the tires, and took it down the driveway. Not 10' out of my driveway, the rear wheel pulls out of the dropouts and I flat.

FUDGE!!!

So now I can't get the wheel back in the dropouts square (not sure why), and I don't have any spare tubes (didn't think I was going to be pickup up a bike today, so I didn't have any cash on me for spare tubes). Not to mention the fact that the paint is all dug up on the dropouts and there are 4 or 5 good chips on the chainstays.

I'm a little pissed... doesn't seem like the wheel should have pulled out of the dropout if the skewer was cranked down nice and snug - something I assume the shop should have done when they assembled the bike. Am I off base here... should have have to give the bike a once over before I ride it? In hind sight, I probably should have just to be safe, but... if I have to check the skewers, do I also have to check the spokes? headset? cranks? If the shop assembles a bike, I expect to be able to ride it right out the door.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
jacksonpt said:
Not 10' out of my driveway, the rear wheel pulls out of the dropouts and I flat.
I'm a little pissed... doesn't seem like the wheel should have pulled out of the dropout if the skewer was cranked down nice and snug - something I assume the shop should have done when they assembled the bike. Am I off base here... should have have to give the bike a once over before I ride it? In hind sight, I probably should have just to be safe, but... if I have to check the skewers, do I also have to check the spokes? headset? cranks? If the shop assembles a bike, I expect to be able to ride it right out the door.

Yes and Yes...Although the shop might have assembled the bike it is still your responsability to go over the bike and make sure everything is tight. Also, make sure you get into a habit of checking your stem, skewers, etc. after your rides to make sure they are still tight. They will loosen up...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Ultimately I think it's the shops responsibility. At least legally anyway. If you didn't mess with the QR lever before it fell off then they should take that bike back and give you a brand new one. That is what I would have done when I managed a shop.

It's not like it fell off after a few rides or something when it could have legitimately come loose. It came off after 10 FEET of riding. That is clearly no fault of yours. Any initial checking over of the bike you do is purely out of your own preference and interest of well being, it is not your responsibility to double check the initial shop build although it is recommended.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
punkassean said:
Any initial checking over of the bike you do is purely out of your own preference and interest of well being, it is not your responsibility to double check the initial shop build although it is recommended.
While I do see your point I think that the rider should always do a final check of any build. Mechanics are humans and will make mistakes. I think that Jack has a good case to get a new frame but I would rather save my skin. Imagine if that would've been the front skewer, he might be missing a few front teeth. That is the reason I always say that it's ultimately the riders responsibility, it is up to us to ensure our own safety. Never take it for granted that the bike was set up properly.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Joe Pozer said:
That is the reason I always say that it's ultimately the riders responsibility, it is up to us to ensure our own safety. Never take it for granted that the bike was set up properly.
I agree that it was a bonehead move on my part not to check the basics... I got caught up in the excitement of a new bike - I'm sure some of you can relate to that. I guess ultimately my question is who's responsible? In the grand scheme of things, a new frame would be great, but I don't expect that (assuming there's no physical damage to the frame). I just expect them to appoogize, fix what needs to be fixed, and maybe throw in a set of pedals or something if they want to try to make up for the mistake (which I obviously think is their fault).

KleinMp99

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
United States
jacksonpt said:
Am I off base here... should have have to give the bike a once over before I ride it?

NO you are definately not off base. You should definately bïtch at the shop. Just think of what could have happend if you were in traffic or something like that.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
KleinMp99 said:
NO you are definately not off base. You should definately bïtch at the shop. Just think of what could have happend if you were in traffic or something like that.
Unfortunately, I have to agree. This same problem happened with a Jamis Quest someone else built for a friend of mine. I remember the owner giving a shrug when I mentioned my friend's wheel popping out, which caused him to crash. I replied, "Well, my friend is a NYC lawyer. He probably won't sue".

I know the Jamis rear wheels come in the dropouts out of the box. And if the back wheel was true, an assembler might not take it out. But obviously he should have to at least check the QR tension.

Of course, bitching at the shop will get you the same shrug...

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Definetly bitch at the shop. It is their duty to check everything on the bike and the fact they put the wheels on and such they should check that. I'd bitch at em just so they feel stupid and then bitch about the flat tire and act like you know nothing about bikes so they have to give you a free tube and fix it.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
jacksonpt said:
I agree that it was a bonehead move on my part not to check the basics... I got caught up in the excitement of a new bike - I'm sure some of you can relate to that. I guess ultimately my question is who's responsible? In the grand scheme of things, a new frame would be great, but I don't expect that (assuming there's no physical damage to the frame). I just expect them to appoogize, fix what needs to be fixed, and maybe throw in a set of pedals or something if they want to try to make up for the mistake (which I obviously think is their fault).
Definitely call the shop right away and tell them what happened, they should take care of any issues. Oh, I can relate...In a rush to hit the trails I forgot to check my rear skewer and the wheel came off bending the rotor. Of course, I had no one to blame but myself for pulling such a bone headed move.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I called the shop... dealt with the guy I know and trust, and who I bought the bike from. His response to the flat was, "it was probably just a fluke think - I can replace the tube, no big deal." His response to the wheel coming out was, "Weird - bring it in and I'll take a look. I know the skewers don't close tight if they aren't positioned just so - they hit the frame before they snug down all the way, but we should have checked that before we gave you the bike. Bring it in and I'll take a look."

So, so far so good.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Again, it is amazing annoying, but if nothing is damaged (beyond the tube) and no one hurt, not much else can be done.

P.S. Forget the frame/skewer position crap. If the frame is in the way, close the skewer in another direction where it does not hit the frame.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Go talk to the guys in the shop. What we forget sometimes is that we ride bikes and work on bikes, not everyone does.
If joe schmoe walked in said "I'll take that one" and starts riding away then is it his fault? No it's the shops, not everyone who rides a bike knows how to go over it to make sure it's safe. Yes, you should have looked it over but it's the shops fault that it happened. Isn't that why people go to a bike shop? For a "Profesional build" with all the TLC that comes along with it. If it's not for that then why?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
mobius said:
Ask for touch up paint. They can get it from jamis i'm guessing or some other kind.
Yea... the paint chips need to be touched up regardless so the bare metal is not exposed to moisture.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Just going to chime in here and agree with what is being said. The shop needs to take responsibility for it and that means that if they frame is damaged(ie. bent) because of the wheel falling out then you need to talk with them. At the very least they should cover the cost of the tube. I also think the owner would appreciate a heads-up to the fact that his staff is not assembling bikes properly. I wouldn't go in and attack, but show them what happened and explain the situation. If they are dicks about it I'd consider a new shop.

I would not feel bad at all about bringing it into the shop and asking for some help.

The Ito

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
jacksonpt said:
...doesn't seem like the wheel should have pulled out of the dropout if the skewer was cranked down nice and snug - something I assume the shop should have done when they assembled the bike. Am I off base here... should have have to give the bike a once over before I ride it? In hind sight, I probably should have just to be safe, but... if I have to check the skewers, do I also have to check the spokes? headset? cranks? If the shop assembles a bike, I expect to be able to ride it right out the door.
This is EXACTLY why I think Wal-Mart, et al. should be sued every time one of their clients gets hurt on a bike.

YOU are VERY knowledgeable and this happened. Imagine the average 'tard?

I think you should've been able to reasonably assume the bike was in working order and you should've been able to ride it out the front door of the shop.

KleinMp99

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
United States
LordOpie said:
This is EXACTLY why I think Wal-Mart.......

All I can think of is loose handlebars, brakepads that spin and are vertical hitting the tire. At a bikeshop there is no possible way that could fly. They must do something to them before they leave the store.....but usually you grab the bike and go up to the register. Does the lady at the counter have a set of wrenches and check the bike over before it leaves? :rolleyes:

jacksonpt said:
I called the shop... His response to the wheel coming out was, "Weird - bring it in and I'll take a look.
His way of saying "somebody, or myself f'ed up on building it. There is no weird thing about it, it simply should have been tight. Either that or it should have been checked for anything that could possibly lead to the wheel falling out. And it also should have been test ridden by the shop. :dead:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
LordOpie said:
I think you should've been able to reasonably assume the bike was in working order and you should've been able to ride it out the front door of the shop.
That's what I would have thought.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
KleinMp99 said:
His way of saying "somebody, or myself f'ed up on building it. There is no weird thing about it, it simply should have been tight. Either that or it should have been checked for anything that could possibly lead to the wheel falling out. And it also should have been test ridden by the shop. :dead:
Yea, but I don't really expect him to say it's all their fault and they are ordering me a new frame without seeing the bike and seeing what happened. In principle I'd love it if that's what happened, but in the real world, I think that's pretty unrealistic.

I've got the bike in my truck... heading over to the LBS at 10. We'll see what they have to say.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
T-Blazer said:
every skewer gets double checked before it leaves my shop. all pro shops have the same resposibility for quality and safe assemblies.
yea, well... we all know your service/standards are second to none. :thumb:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Sucks, Jackson, sorry to hear it. I always once-over any work the shop does (which, these days, is pretty much limited to setting start nuts and pressing headsets, since I've got tools for everything else) but that doesn't mean they're not responsible to make sure the bike is safe when it leaves the store.

Definitly see if they'll hook you up with at least something.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Oh, and hey, at least you got your first scratch out of the way really quickly, now you can ride the snot out of it without worrying :D

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I would just take it as a sign from the Mtn Bike gods that you aren't supposed to ride on the road.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
OK, just got back from the shop...

They repaired everything for free - trued the wheel, replaced the tube, a few other minor adjustments. Not a big deal, but IMO, it was expected.

I was talking to the guy yesterday about a bunch of things, road shoes being one of them. Today, he said I could have a pair of shoes at their cost, if I could find something that fit me well - for the hastle/inconvenience. So I picked up a pair of Diadora Trivex shoes for $30. Not an amazing deal... but good enough for me. I wasn't willing to pay much more than that at this point... so basically I was able to get a better shoe than I would have otherwise been willing to pay for.

I'm happy.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
binary visions said:
How can you resize and type at the same time?

I think someone's pants are on fire...
photoshop can do batch functions while I do other things. So I guess technically photoshop was resizing them while I typed.