Quantcast

Godparents

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
I have them for my kids. They both have the same ones. My wife's sister is thier godmother and a really good friend of mine is thier godfather. If it came down to it and we both died at the same time and thier grand parents weren't around as well I would trust either of them to take care of my kids.

I think it is more symbolic then anything.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
i don't have any kids , but i had god parents when i was younger and my brother has a kid and my niece has god parents. so you better start looking for god parents for the spawn of lordopie.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
So Godparents are essentially designated guardians in the event...?

Well, no. The original intention of godparents was/is religious: it is another set of "parents" who will help rear the child in your chosen religious ways, to help be there for "spiritual/religious" guidance.

legal guardianship is a whole other matter. There's nothing legally binding about being someone's godparent.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
I do for my daughter.

What it really refers to, religiously, is that in the event that you are gone for some reason than it's the responsibility of the Godparents to make sure the child is raised in the "faith".

That's what it means to Catholics, or should I say the technical meaning.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Well, no. The original intention of godparents was/is religious: it is another set of "parents" who will help rear the child in your chosen religious ways, to help be there for "spiritual/religious" guidance.
Ah, yeah.
I don't think so unless it is specified in a trust.
makes sense.

With Emma and me being only children and our parents at the ages they are, we definitely had to make arrangements just in case. For lack of any better terms, they are Willow's godparents.
So have you choosen a back-up for your offspring? Friends, cousins?

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
We did not set up godparents as we are not really religous people and it has no legal standing. We will set legal guardians as soon as we can

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!

legal guardianship is a whole other matter. There's nothing legally binding about being someone's godparent.
What he said!

We do have godparents for Sydney...Sq-Earl's Aunt & Uncle. It's amazing how we just knew who would be best. In our case, they will be offering guidance and we have also made our wishes (that they raise Syd) known in the event that something should happen to both of us.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
We did not set up godparents as we are not really religous people and it has no legal standing. We will set legal guardians as soon as we can
Will you have your kid call non-family members "Aunt" or "Uncle"? We have some friends that are not only good friends, but good people, so we'll probably do that.

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
Here is how I look at the matter of godparents. Not only are they there to raise the child in accordance to the faith should parents pass away but also they should be someone the child gets to know and trusts, this being because they are sort of a mentor. In addition to this the child might confide somethings in the godparents that are not confided in the parents because it seems that every child goes through a phase where they don't want to tell their parents some things.

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
Will you have your kid call non-family members "Aunt" or "Uncle"? We have some friends that are not only good friends, but good people, so we'll probably do that.
We already do. There Uncle Zark, but we try to keep the kid away from him.

Hell we even call the cats her sisters :shocked: