Quantcast

Goggle Lenses for DH

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I need some help selecting a replacement lens for my DH goggles. Right now I have a orange mirrored grey tinted lens, which is great for super sunny days, but sucks once the woods get woody. These are the goggles I have (Smith Intake Sweat X).

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4/19/261/4362/ITEM/Smith-Replacement-Lens-for-Fuel-Intake-Goggles.aspx

I'd like to get a clear anti-fog lens, and probably a sensor mirrored lens for Sunnier days (I never ride only in the sun) unless there is a better suggestion for mixed sun/shade trails. The big question is, single lens or dual? Which is better for anti-fog anti-scratch capability?

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Try to find the double lens from Smith in yellow. It works awesome in low light and the double lens keeps it from fogging.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I have run Smith for years DHing as well as skiing. I don't like mirrored lenses as they tend to scratch easier. Yellow is horrible IMO; blinding in the sun. Get the "Gold Lite". They are the best all around lense I have ever used. Flat light skiing: no problem. Even on blue bird Colorado days on snow there is just enough tint to make them comfortable. They also work great for the open slope to woods transitions in DH. Try em out, you won't be dissapointed.

Edit: check the www.smithoptics.com web site. They have them under replacement lenses for your goggles.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have run Smith for years DHing as well as skiing. I don't like mirrored lenses as they tend to scratch easier. Yellow is horrible IMO; blinding in the sun. Get the "Gold Lite". They are the best all around lense I have ever used. Flat light skiing: no problem. Even on blue bird Colorado days on snow there is just enough tint to make them comfortable. They also work great for the open slope to woods transitions in DH. Try em out, you won't be dissapointed.

Edit: check the www.smithoptics.com web site. They have them under replacement lenses for your goggles.
single or double? thanks for the tip. Those are cheap too so I can order both.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I don't think It makes too much of a difference for anti scratch or fogging in my experience. The nice thing about singles is that you can actually wash them and not risk any moisture forming between the lenses. I've had that happen in the winter where moisture some how gets in between the lenses and then freezes. It has not happened recently, and they claim they have improved the seal, but at least with singles I was able to just wipe it off. I think my Fuels are doubles, which adds a little rigidity, and I could have got a full season out of them, but switched them out cause I had extras. You might want to call CS because I seem to recall that the anti scratch/fog may only be available in one or the other.

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
My goggles came with the same lens and had the same problem. I'm pretty much only run the smith light sensitive since then. They get dark enough for bright light but still let you see in the woods.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I have 3 pairs of the same goggles. I think I have the same lenses and they are great in full sun.
I also have some half mirrored ones that work well when transitioning from full sun to woods. One of the biggest things for me is proper UV protection in the lift line and on the lift. Sun burned eyes suck.
From the site you posted, they look like the "Sensor Mirror"