Quantcast

Goin' to Moab

Earthmover

Chimp
Feb 25, 2002
Terra Forma
I'm leaving for Moab next Sunday, never been before. Anybody have any info, hookups, etc? Sounds like Bartlett Wash and Moab Rim are must do's, but what else is out there?? I'm bringing wifey too, who doesn't ride too much, so what's good for low tech trails? Any/all info appreciated! I'll be thinking of y'all while I ripping the slickrock on the Bottlerocket!! Later
-Josh

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
The bottlerocket will not be the hot ticket on the Slickrock Trail, but you just ride what you have I suppose. You'll be doing a lot of hike-a-biking on that unless you are in killer shape. I would seriously consider the shuttle at Poison Spider Bike Shop up to the Kokopelli/Porcupine Rim trail. 30 miles of mostly DH. Good times!!!
A good low-tech trail is the Klondike Bluff trail.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Mellow(er) rides for the sort of non-riding wife: Klondike Bluffs, the Slick Rock practice loop. Sovereign and/or Bartlett Wash for just dorkin' around.
I second the shuttle for Porc Rim. Call up Coyote and ask for the "UPS" drop. They'll know what you mean. Have them pick you up at the park down by the river so you can load up at the end of the ride and drive out to Arches for a hike in the afternoon. Perfect double duty day! Porc Rim has nice views but felt over rated. Most of it is jeep road that at least has some drops. The UPS/LPS is fun and the last mile or so througfh the canyon leaves you with good memories though. I had the overall most fun on Moab Rim but it's a hump up the first section. Take it all the way out to the grassy valley. At the saddle just before the valley, stash the bike and head up left to the wall you see about 80 yards away. To the left along the wall are hundreds of petroglyphs. Very, very, cool. Check out a sort of hidden tech DH singletrack on the left for the last descent.
Do Sovereign and Bartlett in the same day. They are both outside town a ways and the Sovereign morning and Bartlett afternoon session is a must. Drop through Mushroom Rock, of course.
I have not heard good things about Gemini. Lots of road and sand....(pushing your bike).
Hit Poision Spider/Portal if they have a good rain storm to pack the samd on Poison Spider. Portal is all that for a technical descent.
Camp at the campground right across from the Slick Rock lot if you can. Great sunsets and lots of cool people to mingle with.

The Baja Grill has great Mex. (Blue hole in the wall in town) Moab Brewery for brewery fare. (ok) Hot showers at the KOA.

Try the Utah forum on MTBR.com. You'll get more info than you'll ever need.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
For yummy nummy baked goods go to Marianne's Bakery. They did my wedding cake and it was SOOOOOO good.