Quantcast

Going down, down, down....plop!!!!

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
A friend of mine had a very similar thing happen but he passed out 3 times. The family doc didn't find anything wrong so they sent him to a cardiologist who did a bunch of tests and didn't find anything wrong either. It hasn't happened to him since and it's probably been 2 years. I know I'd be worried as hell too but try to stay relaxed - this apparently happens to others a lot as well.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Did anyone else lean up against the wall in elementary school and choke yourself until you passed out because you thought it was cool? or was that just around here?
That's some funny stuff.

We used to ride roller coasters and when we'd be going uphill, we'd take really deep breaths and lean our heads as far forward as possible, then when you hit the crest and start going down you flick your head back really fast and you'll pass out for most of the ride. Pretty nice way to get some kicks but it provides a wicked headache afterwards. :imstupid:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I have a pretty low resting heart rate, and black out every so often when I get up too quick off the couch etc. It usually happens after being at rest for a while then getting up too quick! I fell backwards down a flight of steps landing on the concrete basement floor when I was 16 or so... the doc couldn't find anything out of the ordinary, and just told me to be careful when getting up after rest! Thanks Dr. Obvious!

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I have a pretty low resting heart rate, and black out every so often when I get up too quick off the couch etc. It usually happens after being at rest for a while then getting up too quick! I fell backwards down a flight of steps landing on the concrete basement floor when I was 16 or so... the doc couldn't find anything out of the ordinary, and just told me to be careful when getting up after rest! Thanks Dr. Obvious!

I don't pass out, but I get wicked head rushes occasionally when I stand up(come in spirts then stop for months) or some elevators.:weee:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I don't pass out, but I get wicked head rushes occasionally when I stand up(come in spirts then stop for months) or some elevators.:weee:
yep... you got it too... a lot of times it is just that WAhWahwahwah headrush thing, but sometimes it goes to full black out and my body gets weak!:disgust1:

PS any news from loco? he hasn't checked in for a while has he?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Back when I was riding A LOT and in awesome shape (I am a fat lazy slob currently) that would happen to me as well. Unfortunately at the time I didn't have any health insurance so I never got into a doc.

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
I just saw a case like that in discovery home & health, only that this guy's heart stopped for a few seconds. Scary ****!!!

I get that. Did it at work once and whacked my head on a file cabinet on the way down. Usually I can feel it coming on and manage to sit back down before I go out.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
damn, yo, that sucks. sucks even more that you have to wait until monday to figure out what's up (assuming blood work reveals something).

i've passed out a few times (generally shock related). i recall enjoying being passed out...i tend to come out of it rather relaxed and quite mellow.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
from the original illness or from the fall/headbashing?

as was said by others... Healing vibes sent your way! I hope you feel better soon!
Being sick. My neck hurts a touch, which could be falling, or from laying in bed all frickin' day. :plthumbsdown:

btw - thanks for all the well wishes. I'm sure I'll be fine. Hopefully I'll even be good enough to post party pics from tomorrow night.

SDH Racing

Monkey
Apr 5, 2006
NE
Sorry to hear that, get well soon. Not that this replaces medical info, but seriously check this book/site out, he covers just about everything in here including stories similar to yours. Not just cures but also ways to prevent getting sick in the first place.
Really good insider information on a variety of topics on here.

www.naturalcures.com

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I had food poisoning once so bad that I passed out... probably lack of fluids and electrolytes lowering blood pressure to dangerous levels. That's probably what happened to you.

I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
That was probably morning sickness you were experiencing.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
A week or two after rolling my ankle riding, I was reading about ankle sprains on a computer at school. I guess I got kind grossed-out and got dizzy. I stumbled out of the library, nearly ate sh!t walking down a 4 stair and sat on a bench and breathed for a while. Then I went back in and went to ridemonkey instead.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I thought I was coming down with the Loco disease yesterday. Instead it turns out I have the Shingles. WTF?? I wonder if this means I can join AARP?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yes. I hope you feel better soon though. Shingles aren't something to laugh at, if I recall exactly what they are.
A recycled version of chicken pox. Just a rash and a pounding headache. Only something serious if you are really old. More annoying than anything as moving around makes the head pound. It is beautiful out and I want to ride but I'm stuck on the couch. I'm pissed my weekend is ruined. Your pass out flu is more serious, heal up.

kev211

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
San Diago
Did you lock your knees when you were taking a pee? I know that can cause you to pass out. Dont know why, but it does. But i gues that doesnt explain the second black out

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Did you lock your knees when you were taking a pee? I know that can cause you to pass out. Dont know why, but it does. But i gues that doesnt explain the second black out
You're blocking an artery when you lock out, I believe. That traps blood in your legs lowering your blood pressure up high.

Bonk

Mike Bloss, Hero
Sounds like you have a heart condition. This was happening to my grandfather. I recommend they check out your heart. ...that or you have an issue with your arteries/veins where the little flaps within them to prevent backflow are not closing...especially when you get up. All your blood may be falling into your legs when you stand up due to this causing you to black out.

...that or your not eating enough and have very low blood pressure.

splat

Nam I am
A recycled version of chicken pox. Just a rash and a pounding headache. Only something serious if you are really old. More annoying than anything as moving around makes the head pound. It is beautiful out and I want to ride but I'm stuck on the couch. I'm pissed my weekend is ruined. Your pass out flu is more serious, heal up.
I had them a couple of year s ago , they suck ! where is yours Mine were on teh back of the left side of my head. and My sympotms were just what you described . I have a friend who had them on his chest and said it was some o fthe worst pain he ever felt. I guess every one is different

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I thought I was coming down with the Loco disease yesterday. Instead it turns out I have the Shingles. WTF?? I wonder if this means I can join AARP?
Shingles? You are old on a whole new level. You'll be getting a vist from Wilford Brimley any day now.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I had them a couple of year s ago , they suck ! where is yours Mine were on teh back of the left side of my head. and My sympotms were just what you described . I have a friend who had them on his chest and said it was some o fthe worst pain he ever felt. I guess every one is different

Maybe $150 is worth it after all.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Back to the doc this AM. If nothing else, I am getting a referral to my ortho friend to get my shoulder done. 2 years of this thing coming out is enough for me. I feel tons better, but still ache. I can't recall doing this much bed rest, ever.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I guess the virus typically attacks a single nerve sheath. Pain ran from my back to the inside of my thumb, rash runs from by back to the inside of my elbow. The pain was bad but easily ignored, I thought I had torn some muscles working out. The headache was bad, worst part was it happened during the weekend. Head feels fine now that I am back at work.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Sounds like you have a heart condition. This was happening to my grandfather. I recommend they check out your heart. ...that or you have an issue with your arteries/veins where the little flaps within them to prevent backflow are not closing...especially when you get up. All your blood may be falling into your legs when you stand up due to this causing you to black out.

...that or your not eating enough and have very low blood pressure.
some people simply pass out when they pee, too. micturitional syncope.