Quantcast

Going down, down, down....plop!!!!

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
So here I sit, having had a cold for several days. I slept like hell last night, due to a snotty nose. I got up first thing this morning and took some Dayquil for relief. I then took a pee. Next thing I know, I had blacked out and collapsed onto the floor, bashing my head on the tile wall on the way down. I say there for a minute when Julie came to see what was up. I got up, and remember that, but apparently did it again as soon as I exited the bath room. This time I didn't get up. Weird. She called 911 (which coincidentally is not a joke in this town) and asked questions to me. The fire department came first, and then the EMTs. All vitals were ok, so I declined a ride to the ER. I did go to the clinic and saw a family medicine doc. She couldn't find anything wrong, but also ordered blood work. I will see her again on Monday. I have do idea what happened, but it has the bejeebers worried out of me.

I have been knocked out before, but remember it. I don't recall any of my second fall, which worries me.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Not that I am in any way qualified to evaluate anything, but it sounds to me like you might have given yourself a concussion when you hit your head. I've had a couple, and don't remember much or all of what happened.

That said, the fact that you passed out twice is definatly scary. Hope everything is OK.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I had food poisoning once so bad that I passed out... probably lack of fluids and electrolytes lowering blood pressure to dangerous levels. That's probably what happened to you.

I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
I got up first thing this morning and took some Dayquil for relief. I then took a pee. Next thing I know, I had blacked out and collapsed onto the floor...
That's what happens when you drink half a bottle of Dayquil!

Scary and probably worth looking into with the blood work and such, but my guess is that the initial syncope spell was due to the headcold, clogged sinuses messing up your balance, lack of food/water, still sleepy and just getting out of bed, etc. It is fairly common for people to faint twice in a row...the second is usually because you're not in a full state of consciousness after the first fainting spell, and your body still hasn't come to terms with keeping you alert.

-The vasovagal reflex, which causes the heart rate to slow and the blood vessels to widen, or dilate. As a result, blood pools in the lower body and less blood goes to the brain. This reflex can be triggered by many things, including stress, pain, fear, coughing, holding your breath, and urinating.
-Orthostatic hypotension, or a sudden drop in blood pressure when you change position. This can happen if you stand up too fast, get dehydrated, or take certain medicines, such as ones for high blood pressure.
Trippy feeling to faint...and their can be different levels of "alertness" for people who faint - some can recall events, some have no idea of what just happened.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
Looks like you need some of this

The worst part is not knowing what happened. Hope the blood work comes out alright.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Dang man, I hope everything turns out OK.

Passing out is no joke.

But this is: I bet you caught teh ghey from N 8!!!!!! EEeeeewwwww!!!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Last time I got the flu I lost my sense of balance, this is fairly common. If you are hitting your head on the way down it could just make you think you are passing out then falling down when you are actually passing out because you fell down and hit your head. Hopefully that is all it is. Just wear a full face helmet for a while.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
they say passing out is normal, but if you have an erection lasting longer than four hours you should call your doctor!

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
they say passing out is normal, but if you have an erection lasting longer than four hours you should call your doctor!
If I have an erection lasting for more than four hours I'm getting some sunscreen and taking that bad boy outdoors to show the neighbors.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Did anyone else lean up against the wall in elementary school and choke yourself until you passed out because you thought it was cool? or was that just around here?

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
Passing out
I have had that happen. I fell out of the shower and my head hit the toilet. I woke up to my dad trying kicking in the bathroom door. (that I was up against) The Doc ran some tests said I had really low blood sugar. My family has ahistory of diabitits so they ran a bunch of tests.

I am right on the edge. So when I go riding I always bring high sugar candy bars. I also have to eat in the morning (usaully a power or cliff bar) before I do anything.

Get blood work done.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Sounds more like he has hypoglycemia, which can be a side effect related to diabetes.

Type I and II refer to the difference between diabetes that is either a lifestyle related metabolic disorder (II) and diabetes that is a autoimmune disorder that you just get for no known reason (I), I think.