Quantcast

going over logs

norimania

Chimp
Sep 9, 2001
you will want to avoid banging your chainrings (the large gears in the front) on logs and other obstacles, as it can tend to bend them or damage the chain. so in short, your answer is "yes." you don't usually have to worry about damaging the casette (the gears in the back) as it is fairly difficult to smack it on anything.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
If you have a tough enough bashguard you can hit anything you want. I routinely hit logs, rocks and marble benches in the city as hard as I can (testing the limits of my guard for research purposes, I dont reccommend you try this without the right equipment). If you tried that with your triple rings you would have no driveline left! So I guess my answer is, "it depends"

look into a tough bashguard

dw

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Originally posted by Hacim
learn how 2 bunny hop & all ur problems will be solved... it wouldnt hurt 2 have a bash guard tho
DUDE, YOUR AVATAR PIC!!!!

hahahahaahahahahahhahahaha

Oh god, that picture is the best picture i have ever seen. i got that in an e-mail once and laughed for weeks. Can you e-mail it to me?

dw

Hacim

Chimp
Aug 12, 2001
Durango, CO
lol:D u like that 1 do ya? go 2 www.3bp.com they have all kinds of funny sh*t there thats were i got the pic... i had a hard time choosen between that 1 and 2 others u will probably know which 1's im talking about the kangaroo pics are hilarious

bassline

Chimp
Sep 14, 2001
Clifton Park, NY
Well pat...I'm a newbie myself, so I won't try and explain it to you (especially since I can't do it...yet). But I've found that mtb online has been pretty helpful in understanding a few of the basics. Click on Tricks/Trials. By the way, I want to thank all the experienced riders out there for being so cool about answering questions. It's nice to see there are people willing to ditch their egos in order to just have a good time. See ya on the trails (hopefully right side up).

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
I've bee log hopping quite a bit now since I'm gettting better. Sometimes the crank will hit the log but other than a few scratches, my crank is fine. Me and a friend have been trying to go over every log we see now on the trails. Just make sure you get enough speed, and then lift your front tire slightly and you can make it over most logs. Momentum is key.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Don't do the mtb cheat jump..ie both wheels come up at the same time... you can't get very much vert with that. do you know how to manual?A manual is like a wheelie but without throwing in the pedaling to get the front end up. Its all body english. Imagine that you are trying to throw your bike forward. Stand and push the bike forward with your feet only. Do that for a while until you get the feeling. THen try that with a little lift on the bars. Throw that in conjunction and you got a manual. Now to bunny hop proper ie a BMX bunnyhop...get some speed, throw a manual and when your front end is up lift the rear. The action is like scraping crap off the bottom of your shoe. Stationary put one foot on the pedal. if on platforms curl your toes around the pedal and try to lift the rear end up....thats the pick up motion. If you have any questions check out www.trials-online.com or www.bike trials.com. trials-online has a nice technique page and a very extensive video page in quicktime. Pracetice on platforms...not clips and LOWER YOUR SEAT!

Cassette's OK, but if you don't get a bash ring, you'll eventually fold your big ring double. Rock ledges will grind teeth off, so get a bash ring. I like the Tooth Fairy.

Bunny hopping doesn't get you over stuff much over 8" unless you're some sort of trials hero. Reading and asking will get you something, but the two things that help the most are to keep trying and to ask others. Do not be afraid to fall down.

J

FLFD339

Chimp
Jan 4, 2002
New Jersey
Just becareful of you front chainrings. If you hit them hard enough you can bend, chip, or brake one of the teeth off. The chain should not get damaged nor your cog set. However, be careful of wood chips getting in the drive system - that could cause problems.

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
if the log is low enough (meaning it wont hit your chainrings), you should be able to lift the front wheel up to the top of the log, let it roll over, then unweight the back wheel as it hits the log. it will roll over, and you'll ride away like a champ.

for the bunnyhop, yes, manual to hop (called "bronco" "bunnyhop" etc)... watch some videos of those dudes doing manuals (New World Disorder comes to mind), then try to imitate... it's hard to keep the front end up for extended periods, but getting it up long enough to get over the log will come with practice. once the front wheel is over and your back wheel is approaching (with front wheel still in the air), hop up the back so you're now horizontal in the air. Torque 3 has a great segment with Ryan Leech (pro trials dude) on how it should look.

practicing the both-wheel hop is good too... excellent practice... just lift on both the bars and pedals at the same time and both wheels come up.

finally, if you're on an FS bike (usually a downhill rig), you can let the wheels bounce off the log and use it like a lip to get some air, but that's just sick.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I have a riding buddy that teaches a MTB "boot camp" a couple of times a year in the DC area. Among other things, he covers crossing logs. The course is aimed toward beginners, but is not just for newbies. He's worked with everyone from girl scouts to bike cops. I've been riding for 5 years. I saw the most improvement in my skills this past season just from riding with him. If you're interested in making the trek down from B-more to attend one of his classes (about 4 hours, and free), let me know and I'll keep you posted on dates once he decides.

Originally posted by BikeGeek
I have a riding buddy that teaches a MTB "boot camp" a couple of times a year in the DC area. Among other things, he covers crossing logs. The course is aimed toward beginners, but is not just for newbies. He's worked with everyone from girl scouts to bike cops. I've been riding for 5 years. I saw the most improvement in my skills this past season just from riding with him. If you're interested in making the trek down from B-more to attend one of his classes (about 4 hours, and free), let me know and I'll keep you posted on dates once he decides.
If it's free - SIGN ME UP!!!

Hey, I know the 'weenie' of which you speak! Better make sure Pat is 'legal' first. ;)

It is definitely worth the drive from Bmore to attend the bootcamp. I just started this summer and the things I learned probably saved me from killing myself. :p

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by dirtgirl

Hey, I know the 'weenie' of which you speak! Better make sure Pat is 'legal' first. ;)
RAH!

:D

Have you been on a ride with him? Just wondering if our paths have crossed.

Yeah, I used to do the Tuesday rides when I could skip out early. I'm sure we met this summer if you were along as well. I was the girl that got a stick stuck in her arm one day. Wasn't even doing anything cool but I have a lovely inch long scar now that is not fading as the doctor promised!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Yeah, I used to do the Tuesday rides when I could skip out early. I'm sure we met this summer if you were along as well. I was the girl that got a stick stuck in her arm one day. Wasn't even doing anything cool but I have a lovely inch long scar now that is not fading as the doctor promised!
LOL! I was on that ride! I was waiting on some friends to show up. We caught up to you guys just as you were picking yourself up.

:D

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
nice to know i can provide entertainment to my fellow riders. :rolleyes:

trying to think of who you are- my memory of anything after the fall is slightly hazy. would i know ya from other rides?
I've been on a couple rides that you were on. I've actually had post-ride beers with you and the gang too.

I ride a red Voodoo with green tires.

I've been on a couple rides that you were on. I've actually had post-ride beers with you and the gang too.

I ride a red Voodoo with green tires.
ahh, now i know who you are... Also you're the person to blame for me spending so much time on RM-- If you had never mentioned it on the listserv I would never had known it existed! :D

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA

ahh, now i know who you are... Also you're the person to blame for me spending so much time on RM-- If you had never mentioned it on the listserv I would never had known it existed! :D
Yeah, sorry about that... :D

what I have done on logs over 8" and at speed, is to pull a wheely comeing up to the log, and time/aim to land my pedal on top of the log and then stand lift and bunny hop off the top of the log.

my highest / biggest tree cleared was 2 feet off the ground.

talk about getting stocked and pumped and ooooo what a feeling. of course the second time I did try that same log, I missed he he he

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
Bash guards are always good... I ruined a chainring when I underestimated the height of a road median... not the big wall kind, just the short yellow ones at innersections... took a big chunk of concrete off it and totally bent my large ring... this was several years ago... so dont all of you think that I'm that stupid now:p :D ...